You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New defender any suggestions?

Mr T

He certainly has in the competitive games so far... He likes to keep Carra on, but changes Agger and Hyppia around a bit... Every second game so far....

We're four games in and have had an international break already (more likely to rotate as a result), surely not long enough to define as a trend. I suggest a look at last season as more accurate indicator

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no point spending top dollar on a top defender when we already have one of the best CB pairings in Europe that shouldn't be broken up or even rotated apart from very occasionally.

We should be looking at CBs who aren't first choice for their current side and are unlikely to be this season, but who are capable of stepping up when required and who would be happy to play a similar role at one of the biggest clubs in the world. I'm thinking of players like Gardner at Spurs and possibly Dawson as well now that Kaboul's arrived, Gabbidon or Upson at West Ham, Riggott or Huth at Boro, maybe even Sol Campbell as others have suggested. There must be plenty more who fall into that category

I'm on the Micah Richards bus. It's a long shot, but maybe a rigorous approach now might get the deal done before the window shuts. This would also keep us one step ahead of our competitors, because they will surely be in for Richards if he leaves City in the future.

As far as I can tell, City have two needs, and we can help them with both. they need a striker with Bojinov injured. Step forward Peter Crouch. I would reluctantly let him go, but only because his chances really do look limited this season with us.

City will also need a central defender if they let Richards go. I would offer them Hyypia. He is reliable and experienced, and he could step in right away, while Sven looks for a longer term solution to bring in next summer.

So how do we fit Richards in?

If Hyypia goes the other way Richards would be one of three main central defenders and would thus get games (he would also enable us to play three at the back if Rafa wants to do that a few times). His versatility means he could also stand in for Finnan or Pennant, so again he will get plenty of games.

To get the deal done I'd offer Crouch + Hyypia + £10M. This makes it a £25M deal, and would be difficult for Citeh to refuse, especially as the players we offer them would help their first team.

Come on Roffa, you know it makes sense!

There is no point spending top dollar on a top defender when we already have one of the best CB pairings in Europe that shouldn't be broken up or even rotated apart from very occasionally.

We should be looking at CBs who aren't first choice for their current side and are unlikely to be this season, but who are capable of stepping up when required and who would be happy to play a similar role at one of the biggest clubs in the world. I'm thinking of players like Gardner at Spurs and possibly Dawson as well now that Kaboul's arrived, Gabbidon or Upson at West Ham, Riggott or Huth at Boro, maybe even Sol Campbell as others have suggested. There must be plenty more who fall into that category

None of those lads are anywhere near good enough for Liverpool Football Club.

Danny Gabbidon?

To play for Liverpool, whether in a time of temporary necessity or otherwise, you have to be good enough to do so and as such, Rafa will only take a player who can exist at our current and historical standards of player.

Would he though? This guy has been talked up for the past two seasons and yet no-one has went near him.

that's due to the price tag west brom are after a whopper of a fee because they have to pay 30% to Luton, so they've been asking 10m+ and no one is paying that

he's told them he wants to leave and was left out of their team the other day, he's been making a fuss all summer so i'd be surprised if a deal cannot be done but the fee would still be quite big. Aston villa are said to be in negotiations over an £8m deal

Danny Gabbidon?

To play for Liverpool, whether in a time of temporary necessity or otherwise, you have to be good enough to do so and as such, Rafa will only take a player who can exist at our current and historical standards of player.

Yep he fits the bill for me - on the other hand Huth would also give us striking possibilities :laugh:

As a short term measure I think Sol Campbell might be worth a punt. He could provide cover for 12-18 months until we get a younger player in. Experience counts for everything and he knows the premiership so wouldn't need time to settle to the pace of the game and has played at the top level. Like Sami has that extra yard in his head and good positional sense. Pace might go against him but Agger could cover for him, again a la Sami. Just a thought.

If we're going to bother buying someone it should be someone who can play both left back and centre half, which makes Chiellini the best candidate for me. He'll provide cover and competition in two places where we might need it this year, and shouldn't cost much more than we were going to pay for Heinze. Plus he's young and would probably retain a decent sell-on value should he fail to settle.

I'm still not sure we need anyone though, personally. I mean, what is the combined amount of time that our three main centre backs have been out of action through injury in the last two seasons? Not much, I wouldn't think. (Touch wood, etc.)

Danny Gabbidon?

Ah, that old chestnut - not good enough to play for Liverpool.

There's good enough to play in the starting XI regularly, and good enough to be a squad player who can come in and do a job when required, and there's a difference between those two levels of quality. All the CBs I've listed are good enough to come in and play a few games to cover for injury to Carra or Agger, and to share the burden of cover with Sami if either of them picks up a long-term injury.

Weren't sure if he'd went! Well to replace him I'd say Maduro from Ajax. We should be looking to replace Sami now and I'd think Hedwiges Maduro would be an adequate replacement.

Never heard of him. What's he like?

I'm still not sure we need anyone though, personally. I mean, what is the combined amount of time that our three main centre backs have been out of action through injury in the last two seasons? Not much, I wouldn't think. (Touch wood, etc.)

We've been lucky. For the sake of a few mill we can cover ourselves if that changes, because at some point it will.

The law of chance would say that was all the more reason to get someone in now.