You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New defender any suggestions?

Mr T

With Carragher's injury and the Heinze deal gone we could do with a little bit of extra cover in defence but who should we be on the look out for?

Bascombe has suggested that we are definitely searching. The only player I can think of (I know little of European football) is Luisao. Big, strong, fairly young, Brazillian international. However Benfica seem to be slippery fuckers to deal with..

Anyone else?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon we get someone in on loan, maybe until Christmas. Let's face it whoever we bring in would be second fiddle To Carra and Danny Boy, so what would be the point in spending all kinds on some CB for him to get splinters?

Benfica are easy to deal with, just pay the going rate and he is yours. They always have talented players and so won't be sold short.

Going back to the question, realistically I think a good solution would be Vincent Kompany or as someone said yesterday Lilian Thuram.

Or just pay the dough for Micah ;)

I reckon we get someone in on loan, maybe until Christmas. Let's face it whoever we bring in would be second fiddle To Carra and Danny Boy, so what would be the point in spending all kinds on some CB for him to get splinters?

Vicent Kompany currently at Hamburg.... We made some inqueries about him before he joined Hamburg from Anderlecht...

Good player, fast with skills and who likes to bring the ball out of defense.....

Vicent Kompany currently at Hamburg.... We made some inqueries about him before he joined Hamburg from Anderlecht...

Good player, fast with skills and who likes to bring the ball out of defense.....

He won't go to a club where he's not guaranteed playing time though. If I remember it correctly, that was the reason he didn't go to one of the big clubs chasing him last summer when he went to Hamburg (was it last summer?).

I think (the usual) people are getting a bit confused here over what we're actually in the market for. Although I personally think we probably should have been buying a new centre half this summer, I don't think Rafa had any intention to do so, and that he went for Heinze becuase he wanted Heinze, not because he wanted to replace anyone.

If we do go for someone now, it'll only be because Carra looks like he may well be out for a few weeks - so can people spare us the inevitable howls of protest when we bring in someone like Pellegrino rather than Micah Richards or Vincent Kompany?

I think (the usual) people are getting a bit confused here over what we're actually in the market for. Although I personally think we probably should have been buying a new centre half this summer, I don't think Rafa had any intention to do so, and that he went for Heinze becuase he wanted Heinze, not because he wanted to replace anyone.

If we do go for someone now, it'll only be because Carra looks like he may well be out for a few weeks - so can people spare us the inevitable howls of protest when we bring in someone like Pellegrino rather than Micah Richards or Vincent Kompany?

Bascombe suggests in the echo that Rafa was looking anyway before Carra's injury. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure.

Ideally we could do with someone who won't mind sitting on the bench but will play a few games. Usually these players fall into two categories

a) old players, age>30

b) young players, 18<age<23

Depends whether you want to pay the extra money now and get a young player in to bed in with Danny over the next few years, or go the Pellegrino route and get the older player who won't mind filling in here and there on a short term contract.

He won't go to a club where he's not guaranteed playing time though. If I remember it correctly, that was the reason he didn't go to one of the big clubs chasing him last summer when he went to Hamburg (was it last summer?).

He would be though!! Rafa changes his defense around a lot, and considering Hyppia is way over the top he would play a lot this year, besides Kompany and Agger would make one hell of a pairing a few years down the line....

He might be to expensive though?

He would be though!! Rafa changes his defense around a lot, and considering Hyppia is way over the top he would play a lot this year, besides Kompany and Agger would make one hell of a pairing a few years down the line....

He might be to expensive though?

Rafa does not rotate his defenders. The left back position is up for garbs, the rest are not.

Bascombe suggests in the echo that Rafa was looking anyway before Carra's injury. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure.

Ideally we could do with someone who won't mind sitting on the bench but will play a few games. Usually these players fall into two categories

a) old players, age>30

Depends whether you want to pay the extra money now and get a young player in to bed in with Danny over the next few years, or go the Pellegrino route and get the older player who won't mind filling in here and there on a short term contract.

If he wants one of the a) candidates it's a shame we did not sign Ayala on a free from Valencia this spring....

Hell of a player, hard as a rock, uncompromising and an Argentinian legend...

Rafa does not rotate his defenders. The left back position is up for garbs, the rest are not.

He certainly has in the competitive games so far... He likes to keep Carra on, but changes Agger and Hyppia around a bit... Every second game so far....

a) old players, age>30

If we were to bring in a young player then I'd be interested to see how much Curtis Davies would *really* cost (ie not whatever inflated figure West Brom have pushed to the tabloids). In terms of older players on a short term basis, I think Nelsen at Blackburn is very under-rated, and fuck it, if we're seriously just bringing in someone for a few months, why not go the whole hog and get Campbell?

Well... Think of Argies that he may want to sign. Gabby Milito would cost a ton but would be a good CB signing. Samuel could do a job untill Carra is back. Coloccini could do a job and can play left back as well.

Then think of the others... There are plenty of solid CBs around. Petri Pasanen from Werder(Finn like Hyypia and solid) would be a good one to pick up and can play on the flank for cover but won't demand first team action every week.

Dmytro Chygrynski is a solid CB playing for Shakhtar. Ukrainian, wouldn't cost too much, young, and quite solid. Not very quick but not really slow. Could be a great third CB and not too expensive.

Tomas Hubschman. Czech and solid. Would also be a good third defender. He's playing for Shakhtar and was a big part of their run in the UEFA cup last year(ended by a last minute goal from Sevilla's fucking goalkeeper who joined the corner). Was a major talent at Sparta Prague.

Could probably get Olof Mellberg for a cheeky bid... his contract is up next season and Villa might be convinced to sell him if doesn't resign.

I think it should have fewer buttons to press.

While the old 'Defender' was a great game to play I found that I was often having to look down at the buttons for the weapon or move I needed. Mind you I was only about 12 so my dexterity probably hadn't had time to develop. Now I'm 39 my hands are probably too shaky.

Therefore my suggestion is to have less buttons but keep the game pretty much the same. :thumbup: