You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

I made my own Pizza and dough balls today, I really enjoy doing it and you can make it the way you like it. But really need a Pizza stone to get the base just right. Top flavour recommendation: Spicy seasonal - shake on just about anything to give it a bit of zing- boiled potatoes are good. Ace with cheese.

A classic French dressing is nice too: mustard, oil and vinegar.

I always fuck this up, determined as I am to find my own recipe rather than look on the web (i.e. lazy/experimental). Always tastes like shit. What proportions of each should I be using? Shouldn't you put brown sugar in it?

One I like is pancetta or bacon, peas, chopped plum tomatoes and some onion, mixed herbs and basil, and mascarpone, all on some pasta.

I always fuck this up, determined as I am to find my own recipe rather than look on the web (i.e. lazy/experimental). Always tastes like shit. What proportions of each should I be using? Shouldn't you put brown sugar in it?

One I like is pancetta or bacon, peas, chopped plum tomatoes and some onion, mixed herbs and basil, and mascarpone, all on some pasta.

About 3:1 oil to vinegar with a dollop of mustard. The thing to do is to just keep tasting and adjusting until you get something ace.

I made my own Pizza and dough balls today, I really enjoy doing it and you can make it the way you like it. But really need a Pizza stone to get the base just right. Top flavour recommendation: Spicy seasonal - shake on just about anything to give it a bit of zing- boiled potatoes are good. Ace with cheese.

Excellent non-lazy cooking, Rem. Home-made pizza is the bomb. What's your sauce recipe? Mine is tin of chopped toms, a glug of olive oil and a generous squirt of Tommy K. Reduce that fucker down to a loose paste and add chopped basil, salt and pepper at the end.

Have to admit that recently I've been a bit lazy with sauce- using salsa, pesto and/or Dolmio or something. I often make my sauce out of puree, a dash of wine and olive oil with chilli flakes grinded in or when I'm at my mums, nick her crop of cherry tomatoes and stick them in a blender and reducing it to fuck. Pesto as your sauce on a Pizza is absolutely delicious, especially red pesto and demands that you use mushies as a topping. Even if your being lazy and doing a frozen pizza, Lash some pesto on and some seasoning.

I recommend the pizza express cookbook, as it it disturbingly thorough- describes ideal air temperature and work surface material, to protein content in the type of flour you buy.

My start to plate time is fucking ages though as I like to leave it to rise. We're talking at least 2 hours. However, for actual work time, as I use a bread maker, only about 10-15 minutes is actually working on it.

Top baked potato tip- microwave for 5 minutes, coat in Olive oil, salt, Pepper and Spicy seasonal and bake for twenty minutes. Can be even quicker if you have skewers.

Omelettes are also the plums. Even a plain one with pepper, bread and butter is amazing - and done in two minutes. The secret is to get the pan bastard hot, lob in some butter, turn off the heat and lob the eggs in, keeping the pan moving until done. Obviously all manner of tastiness can be added, but simple works for me.

French toast with a squirl of HP and lots of black pepper. Another one is those big fat black mushrooms turned upside down crumble some feta and Rosemary over them , salt and black peper, good dollop of butter and garlic in each and bake for a few mins....it's the db's

Have to admit that recently I've been a bit lazy with sauce- using salsa, pesto and/or Dolmio or something. I often make my sauce out of puree, a dash of wine and olive oil with chilli flakes grinded in or when I'm at my mums, nick her crop of cherry tomatoes and stick them in a blender and reducing it to fuck. Pesto as your sauce on a Pizza is absolutely delicious, especially red pesto and demands that you use mushies as a topping. Even if your being lazy and doing a frozen pizza, Lash some pesto on and some seasoning.

I recommend the pizza express cookbook, as it it disturbingly thorough- describes ideal air temperature and work surface material, to protein content in the type of flour you buy.

My start to plate time is fucking ages though as I like to leave it to rise. We're talking at least 2 hours. However, for actual work time, as I use a bread maker, only about 10-15 minutes is actually working on it.

Top baked potato tip- microwave for 5 minutes, coat in Olive oil, salt, Pepper and Spicy seasonal and bake for twenty minutes. Can be even quicker if you have skewers.

I'll try the pesto on pizza thing.

We also use a bread machine for our dough. It is very good, but it's just not quite like hand made. When Mrs Paul makes her own dough, I can roll and cook the fucker so it's thin and crispy as you like. When we use the machine, it's just a touch chewy still.

Finally, on your point about start to plate times, I positively relish a long cooking process. It feels relaxing and creative all at the same time; deffo a pleasure rather than a chore. I emphasised speed on my posts in this thread to try and hook any cooking cowards into giving it a go. Speedy food is great when you're short of time and starving, but I could happily move to Spain/Italy and join the Slow Food movement.

I'll try the pesto on pizza thing.

We also use a bread machine for our dough. It is very good, but it's just not quite like hand made. When Mrs Paul makes her own dough, I can roll and cook the fucker so it's thin and crispy as you like. When we use the machine, it's just a touch chewy still.

Finally, on your point about start to plate times, I positively relish a long cooking process. It feels relaxing and creative all at the same time; deffo a pleasure rather than a chore. I emphasised speed on my posts in this thread to try and hook any cooking cowards into giving it a go. Speedy food is great when you're short of time and starving, but I could happily move to Spain/Italy and join the Slow Food movement.

Quick, Paul! WHat can i substitute for beer in the fajita mixture as I'm a youngun and can't get ahold of any.

I made them last night, fucking amazing. Added some garlic, cilantro and olive oil to the mariande and cooked it up with yellow pepper and red onion. Absolutely superb!

What the fuck is cilantro? It's either something I've never heard of, or it's a crazy Americanism.

Martin Scorsese's mum's pepperoni pizza. Depends what you mean by simple.

Ingredients

--------------------------FOR THE SAUCE-------------------------------

1 1/2 c minced onion

3 tb olive oil

2 cn whole tomatoes; including

-liquid,

1 ; coarsely chopped

1 ; (28 ounces each)

1 cn tomato sauce; (15 ounces)

1 ts dried basil; crumbled

1 cayenne pepper; to taste

1 sugar to taste

1 salt to taste

1 lb pizza dough; thawed

-according to

1 ; package directions

1 ; if frozen

2 c grated mozzarella

1/4 c freshly grated parmesan; up

-to 1/3

1/2 lb thinly sliced pepperoni

Instructions

Make the sauce: In a large saucepan set over moderate heat, cook the onion

in the oil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato

sauce, basil, salt, cayenne, and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered,

stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pat the dough into an oiled pan, sprinkle with the mozzarella, spreading it in an even layer, add the pepperoni and top it all with enough sauce to coat. (The sauce should be chunky.) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

Her son's films aren't bad either.

This thread is great, I've been on the Paul "a la carte" quick menu this week. Have had the fanjitas, quick pasta and quick fried rice all with slight modifications.