You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crouch...yet to convince the locals ?

Tuppy Glossop

If we're digging out old posts, it would be amusing to dig out all your predictions about Crouch and lets see who's doing the wriggling then :D

My predictions about Crouch? I'm not sure Paul would enjoy seeing the bet he reneged on being dug up again.

My predictions about Crouch? I'm not sure Paul would enjoy seeing the bet he reneged on being dug up again.

But then, as you're bringing me into this, let's see who was correct about us finishing higher than fourth. I think you can then consider your choice of the word "reneged" in the context of a double or quits bet and maybe apologise (I won't hold my breath).

I think I was two goals out on the Crouch bet and would certainly win it if the frame of reference spanned the two seasons over a comparable number of games. However, you were about eighteen points out on your league position prediction. And shall we mention your views on Josemi and Carragher while we're at it.

What's the point of your internet persona? It's just unpleasant really, isn't it? Relentlessly negative, pedantic and chippy. You even had the cheek to call Dave over the person/people thing when that was a perfect example of your usual debating style.

But then, as you're bringing me into this, let's see who was correct about us finishing higher than fourth. I think you can then consider your choice of the word "reneged" in the context of a double or quits bet and maybe apologise (I won't hold my breath).

I think I was two goals out on the Crouch bet and would certainly win it if the frame of reference spanned the two seasons over a comparable number of games. However, you were about eighteen points out on your league position prediction. And shall we mention your views on Josemi and Carragher while we're at it.

What's the point of your internet persona? It's just unpleasant really, isn't it? Relentlessly negative, pedantic and chippy. You even had the cheek to call Dave over the person/people thing when that was a perfect example of your usual debating style.

I can't see any "the cheques in the post" amongst all that.

There are many LFC fans and some on this forum who would agree with them

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhaha

Sorry i jus....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahaha

Worst WU post of all time that Nick. Fuck me at least try in future!

Crouch gives us something no other striker in the world gives us, so no matter who Benitez signed, he'd still get his fair share of games. But… (and this is coming from someone who's been his biggest fan since his arrival)… I don't think, performance wise, he's anywhere near the level he was at during his goal drought last year. Yeah, he's scoring more and getting himself into better goalscoring positions, but there's not as much confidence on the ball this season just yet. I'm also trying to think of the last time I saw him knock one of those inch-perfect balls into Gerrard's path, as happened so often last year. I may be being picky here - as his recent goal-getting is almost second to none. It also may be the case that other teams are getting to know how to play him. Whatever the case, I just hope that the new strikers' arrivals coaxes him into getting his all-round game to the level it was at this time last year.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with this?

I could sense our fans getting on his back before his goal Saturday

There was a sense in the crowd that he was trying to be too clever (trying to chest the ball behind him instead of either controlling it or heading it) not anticipating the ball in the box or 'doing a cisse' and just giving up if it didn't go to him instead of chasing after it (only happened once or twice to be fair).

He didn't have a great game but he did score and as a striker you can't ask much more.

Crouch gives us something no other striker in the world gives us, so no matter who Benitez signed, he'd still get his fair share of games. But… (and this is coming from someone who's been his biggest fan since his arrival)… I don't think, performance wise, he's anywhere near the level he was at during his goal drought last year. Yeah, he's scoring more and getting himself into better goalscoring positions, but there's not as much confidence on the ball this season just yet. I'm also trying to think of the last time I saw him knock one of those inch-perfect balls into Gerrard's path, as happened so often last year. I may be being picky here - as his recent goal-getting is almost second to none. It also may be the case that other teams are getting to know how to play him. Whatever the case, I just hope that the new strikers' arrivals coaxes him into getting his all-round game to the level it was at this time last year.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with this?

Great fucking signature. Did you hear about Season 4 being imminent in the states?

Great fucking signature. Did you hear about Season 4 being imminent in the states?

Not yet watched Season Three Paul (which is why I've avoided any GF-Wire mentions like the plague). I am Sky-less, and therefore limited to watching shows on DVD (it's the best way though - I don't know how you do it like you do, seven days apart - I must have watched Season Two about five times now, and it gets better each time).

This thread is bizarre. Crouch never needed to convince me. I was 100% behind his signing in the first place, and I think his performances since then (barring the occasional stinker - something which could be levelled at any member of our squad) have entirely justified the money spent on him.

Of course, there will always be idiots who cannot look past Crouch's stature and physique; not only can they not see the good work he does, but they fail to realise that Crouch's physical attributes are what make him a unique weapon in English football. I'm glad he's here because he gives us an option that no other team in the Premiership has.

crouch was BADLY missed v sheff united. his ability to lead the line and shield the ball but have been much more valuable than fowler's intellience and link play.

leading the line especially away from home requires a ridiculously large amount of energy as you are usually against two defenders and also isolated for long periods I think the benifit of having kuyt and crouch is either can run themselves into the ground first half and then be replaced by the other in the second half. I can see crouch and kuyt getting a equal share of games.

crouch was BADLY missed v sheff united. his ability to lead the line and shield the ball but have been much more valuable than fowler's intellience and link play.

leading the line especially away from home requires a ridiculously large amount of energy as you are usually against two defenders and also isolated for long periods I think the benifit of having kuyt and crouch is either can run themselves into the ground first half and then be replaced by the other in the second half. I can see crouch and kuyt getting a equal share of games.

I can't and I was one to vociferously praise Crouch in the face of all the criticism he was getting. Crouch will get games but Kuyt will play more, I reckon.

And why most in here think that Crouch and Kuyt are competing fro just one spot? The two surely will play together in many games too, especially against defensive teams at Anfield.

My believe is that Kuyt will play more games than the other two (he is the most complete forward by a margin) but I am not sure if it will be Bellamy or Crouch the second most used striker, maybe there won't be much difference in their playing time.

And why most in here think that Crouch and Kuyt are competing fro just one spot? The two surely will play together in many games too, especially against defensive teams at Anfield.

My believe is that Kuyt will play more games than the other two (he is the most complete forward by a margin) but I am not sure if it will be Bellamy or Crouch the second most used striker, maybe there won't be much difference in their playing time.

A short or a large margin?

Not yet watched Season Three Paul (which is why I've avoided any GF-Wire mentions like the plague). I am Sky-less, and therefore limited to watching shows on DVD (it's the best way though - I don't know how you do it like you do, seven days apart - I must have watched Season Two about five times now, and it gets better each time).

Season 3 is out on DVD in a couple of weeks and it is the best yet by some distance, in my view. Mind-blowingly good.