You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Starlets we bought who made the grade...

ScouseAndy

Ive been watching the reserves lately and raving about some of the young talent we have bought which seem likely to be enhanced further with the signings of gonzalez and palleta.

However, talking to a mate at the game on Sat. he was not as enthused and came out with quite a good point.

When is the last time we bought a youngster (lets say 21 or under) who made the grade????

I came up with Sissoko but at £5m and already a regular for Valencia you could argue he is established.

So.......... any advances on Rob Jones?

Guest brendan
Ive been watching the reserves lately and raving about some of the young talent we have bought which seem likely to be enhanced further with the signings of gonzalez and palleta.

However, talking to a mate at the game on Sat. he was not as enthused and came out with quite a good point.

When is the last time we bought a youngster (lets say 21 or under) who made the grade????

I came up with Sissoko but at £5m and already a regular for Valencia you could argue he is established.

Ian Rush?

Agger? (too soon)

Riise? (established)

Errrrrr.................

What was the name of that lad in the 80's who was the most expensive teenager ever ever ever and stayed in the reserves for years?

Wayne sommat? That ring a bell.

Ian Rush?

Agger? (too soon)

Riise? (established)

Errrrrr.................

What was the name of that lad in the 80's who was the most expensive teenager ever ever ever and stayed in the reserves for years?

Wayne Kerr

Or am i thinking of Mourinho.

Ian Rush?

Agger? (too soon)

Riise? (established)

Errrrrr.................

Wayne Harrison-forced to retire due to injury.

Good point, and i cant think of anyone in the last decade, but i don't think the club has ever made such a concerted effort to hunt down and buy quality as it is doing now. I don't think Hakur Igne Gudnasson or Frode Kip were ever touted as being the next big thing by anyone!

It was only Houlliers love of all things Clairefontaine that lead our belief in young signings astray..

I agree what you say about Sissoko being a regular in his last club but what about young Besian Idrizaj, he was a regular for his last club ASK Linz albeit an Austrian side, he played 35 games for his last club scoring 5 goals, so is this in the same class as Momo. He hasn't quite made the grade yet but you never no!

Guest brendan
I used to work with someone called Wayne Carr. He had a five minute argument with someone on the phone once trying to claim he was taking the piss.

The giggles we used to have with our office temp, Iva Tinycock!

Pongolle

Thompson

Warner

Danny Murphy

Jamie Redkanpp from Bounmouth

the most obvious one and quite late in the thread as wel

If gav was here he would have come up with Staunton & Whelan

For the jocks there's Hansen & Nicol

However as pointed out the number one youngster has to be Ian Rush