You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lord Frodsham

Rashid

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he's just too eager to impress but he just seems to hit the thing and hope. It's well documented that at Auxerre the team played entirely to his strengths, but that is never going to happen under Rafa. I would actually be relieved if we got 10 for him and used it towards a quality right winger.

He's a player that confuses me. He has shown what has appeared to be brilliance. I'm thinking of the goal against Spurs last season and the similarly instictive strike against Kaunas (sp?). But then can look as lost out there as Sean Dundee. And I never get the feeling he's going to beat a keeper from a one on one, which is incredible when he cost 14 million. I don't waht to harp on about Ged as the past is the past, but how on this earth was that deal sanctioned?

They watched him for over 3 seasons Beni. I seem to recall a post from Will M about a meeting that both Alan Edge and he had with Rick Parry in 2001 about the Anfield4Ever Campaign.

Apparently Parry was raving about Cissé. I recall an article in The Times/Guardian from about 3 years ago when they were also raving about him - calling him a prototype of the complete striker as I recall (Henry's Pace, Hasslebaink's Power and Owen's finishing).

Maybe he's just too eager to impress but he just seems to hit the thing and hope. It's well documented that at Auxerre the team played entirely to his strengths, but that is never going to happen under Rafa. I would actually be relieved if we got 10 for him and used it towards a quality right winger.

He's a player that confuses me. He has shown what has appeared to be brilliance. I'm thinking of the goal against Spurs last season and the similarly instictive strike against Kaunas (sp?). But then can look as lost out there as Sean Dundee. And I never get the feeling he's going to beat a keeper from a one on one, which is incredible when he cost 14 million. I don't waht to harp on about Ged as the past is the past, but how on this earth was that deal sanctioned?

top scorer in the french league 3 years on the bounce might have had something to do with it as well as been a full french international and it wasnt just Houllier who was nuts about him

Yeah, its a short space of time and he would improve, but not to the extent you or many other people on this forum are hoping. Every player need a settling in period, but he hasn't shown any glimpses that would suggest he would be fit to tie Owen's laces.

As Kopite said, we would be lucky to get half the fee we paid for him- even at atime when his supposed biggest fan, Ged, is flush with Euros- which would suggest to me that is not just myself that doesn't rate him.

Agree with much of what is being expressed on here. I'll be gutted if Cisse is shipped out to make way for Owen. Not just because I like the guy, but because I really think he could do a good job for us if given the chance. Baros leaving I could just about understand, but this is a bit too much.

I genuinely believe that Rushie would struggle in this team as we are hardly creating anything. You can't say Cissé is missing chances as he isn't really getting them. Anything he does get seems to have been created by himself.

Against Kaunas (I know they weren't good) his partnership with Crouch looked promising, that goal from the knockdown was sublime.

The lads got it. Let's give him a run upfront and then judge him. I just don't think he's played enough games to be judged.

How can people say they would prefer Cisse over Owen? It amazes me that people can have this opinion. Owen was top scorer in every season for us (bar one maybe) and if/when he signs, he will be again. You can't turn these opportunities down.

As I said yesterday, Cisse could score goals and I wouldn't object at all if we kept both of them - but Owen will score goals. I don't even have to argue that point, i'll just post his stats.

If we keep Cisse and get Owen also then great, but if the Owen deal is subject to Cisse leaving then that's a sacrifice I think we must make.

This isn't me disrespecting Djibrill or not rating him either - it's me seeing an opportunity for the club to improve in an area we need to, and doing so.

top scorer in the french league 3 years on the bounce might have had something to do with it as well as been a full french international and it wasnt just Houllier who was nuts about him

I don't actually think it was three years in succession. I'm sure it was two in three, still a good record mind. But you could have acquired yourself a whole host of players for considerably less using those credentials.

Guivarch, anyone?

In the end people aren't pissed about him leaving because he is a fantastic player as much as he is a colorful character who has endeared himself to the fans. But I admit to being puzzled by it all.

I genuinely believe that Rushie would struggle in this team as we are hardly creating anything. You can't say Cissé is missing chances as he isn't really getting them. Anything he does get seems to have been created by himself.

Against Kaunas (I know they weren't good) his partnership with Crouch looked promising, that goal from the knockdown was sublime.

The lads got it. Let's give him a run upfront and then judge him. I just don't think he's played enough games to be judged.

Spot on, that.

Remember every time Owen went on his regular runs of 6 games without a goal and everyone would go on about the lack of "service"? Well, Cisse has been shunted around the team and has still scored regularly since he came back from his injury. The least he deserves is a decent run in his natural position.

Yeah, its a short space of time and he would improve, but not to the extent you or many other people on this forum are hoping. Every player need a settling in period, but he hasn't shown any glimpses that would suggest he would be fit to tie Owen's laces.

As Kopite said, we would be lucky to get half the fee we paid for him- even at atime when his supposed biggest fan, Ged, is flush with Euros- which would suggest to me that is in not just myself that doesn't rate him.

Beni,

The likes of Ferguson and Wenger were seriously looking at him. At one point it looked like he was going to Arsenal.

The market has changed dramatically from when we bought him.

Perhaps GH knows that he isn't going to get him hence no bid?

All the speculation about his future seems to be coming from the press. As regards SFX (Owen's agents) I wouldn't put anything past them trying to force Liverpool into a deal.

Unsettle Cissé so that it puts doubts into the managers mind about his ability and Rafa will deal with Real for Owen.

Is that above the bounds of possibility knowing what underhand tactics SFX adopted to get Gerrard out of the club. Indeed look no further than the manner of Rooney's departure from Everton for the type of scum that we call agents.

Don't take this personally, but that is ridiculous. Ok, Owen upped and left us, but I don't think many fans realised how good he really was until he was gone.

I don't think we have been this poorly blessed with strikers since before the age of St John.

Is it?

I want Owen to come back, always have, but I want him to come back to beef up an attack that includes Cisse.

Buying Owen and selling Cisse doesn't improve us it just swaps one goalscorer for another.

Dioemede was a full fledged French International BTW, so that proves little.

Dioemede was a full fledged French International BTW, so that proves little.

Beni,

If you judged Henry after the number of games Cissé's played he'd wouldn't be playing for Arsenal now.

Henry looked seriously out of his depth for a time at Arsenal. Look at him now - the best forward in the Premiership (in my opinion).

Is it?

I want Owen to come back, always have, but I want him to come back to beef up an attack that includes Cisse.

Buying Owen and selling Cisse doesn't improve us it just swaps one goalscorer for another.

I disagree- strongly. Firstly, Owen and SG know each others games inside out, while Cisse doesn't eactly make intelligent runs does he considering we have a midfield full of excellent passers.

Secondly, as Ian Brown said, Owen will guarantee you 20 + goals.

Beni,

If you judged Henry after the number of games Cissé's played he'd wouldn't be playing for Arsenal now.

Henry looked seriously out of his depth for a time at Arsenal. Look at him now - the best forward in the Premiership (in my opinion).

the henry and pires arguments are getting a bit worn out IMO...

from l'equipe

25/08/2005 Foot - L1 - OM: Diouf does not sell a dream Pope Diouf, the president of the OM, stated Thursday that the OM remained "in situation of waiting" on the possible arrival of the French international attacker of Liverpool, Djibril Cissé, refusing however "to make salivate" the Marseilles supporteurs unnecessarily. "We are in situation of waiting, with much of realism. We remain waked up on this file. But we do not want to make salivate the Marseilles public unnecessarily. We avoid sowing the dream. We are not merchants of dream ", declared Diouf. "We did not change optics in this very complex file. We are not in a step where we would have said long date: One will take it. The player initially expressed his desire to leave Liverpool, if Owen were to return to Liverpool ", indicated Diouf. "the ball was with the jump, we seized it", it declared, at the time of the presentation to the press of the two new recruits of the OM, the defensive medium of Paris SG Lorik Cana and the attacker argentino-Italian of Basle Christian Gimenez.

Cana is explained Cana explained why it thought "of having the occasion to play" that the PSG more. With the intention of the Parisian supporteurs, of which some tasted its departure for their Marseilles rival little, it affirmed: "I ask them that they judge me on the image that I left over there, even if I know that everyone is not understanding. Marseilles lives only for football, I never hid my attraction "for the OM, added international Albanian. Gimenez, 30 years, was defined as "an attacker of surface". Questioned on the pressure with the OM, it answered: "In League of the champions with Basle, I already played against Liverpool and Manchester United. I am not afraid of the pressure of the high level ".

The OM still seeks to recruit a general-purpose defender. The international Slovenien of Dinamo Zagreb, Bostjan Cesar, 22 years, was supervised. "It is a good and young player. But we seek perhaps more one player of experiment, with one lived international ", indicated the sporting director Anigo, specifying that the tracks carry out abroad. Anigo still affirmed, in an allusion to Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Méité, that "to less than one enormous proposal that one would perhaps examine, no defender will leave".

Last line, maybe somethings cooking. Apologies for the babelfish but I think you'll get the gist.

Beni,

That's not entirely true, Col. Technically, Henry looked like a different animal to Cisse. True, he struggled with the pace intially and was a little limp in front of goal, but he still showed a great deal more quality than Cisse has done.

If he goes, I will be happy as its Rafa's decision. But if he stays I hope he works for the team and proves me wrong.

This isn't right though, a lad who hasn't even started 20 games and fought back from a horrendous injury. We would look like heartless bastards forcing a player out against his will and not even giving him a chance. It makes me sick to think of Baros and Cisse are sold and other less celebrated players being bought in.

Cisse is Liverpool through and through, and if he has to go he should only go on loan, for me, whatever happens, he will always be a legend for coming back from that injury and scoring a penalty in the final.

That's not entirely true, Col. Technically, Henry looked like a different animal to Cisse. True, he struggled with the pace intially and was a little limp in front of goal, but he still showed a great deal more quality than Cisse has done.

If he goes, I will be happy as its Rafa's decision. But if he stays I hope he works for the team and proves me wrong.

1. Did Henry get injured 2 months into his career at Arsenal which would have ended most players careers?

2. Did Henry not take a while to settle into English football?

3. Did Henry have to endure a manager always playing him out of positon and then using him as sub all the time?

Henry had a manager who had confidence and patience with him and they got the rewards. I love Rafa but his transfer policy is pretty shit.