You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shut it Stevie

Rashid

Don't worry Steve if England don't win the World Cup and match your ambitions you can always transfer to Spain. Nice to see some blind loyalty to the cause as we all know England are shit except from you.

Not having a go at my hero, but it would be nice if we had some Liverpool can win the league in 2006! We are no worse in the league than England are in International football.

Gerrard optimistic about England World Cup hopes Jan 21 2005

By Phil Barnett, Daily Post

LIVERPOOL captain Steven Gerrard believes England can win the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Since shaking off the injury problems which blighted his early career, Gerrard has fulfilled his potential to become arguably the most important cog in Sven-Goran Eriksson's England wheel.

And the roving midfielder believes world football's nearly-men can go all the way next year.

Gerrard said: "I'm confident we can. We've definitely got the players to do so but it's a very difficult tournament to win. It's really tough as we're playing against some fantastic teams across the world but if we've got everyone fit and everyone clicks and performs in that short four or five weeks that you are together I think we can have a real go at it."

Looking back to Euro 2004, the midfielder continued: "I think we weren't good enough in the quarter-final match (against Portugal).

"I think the heat played a part but I wouldn't like to use that just as the single excuse.

"We did everything right up to the quarter-final and we went into it and gave it our best shot, but I don't think we were good enough as a team to get through.

"Portugal were the hosts and they played well on the night, and unfortunately we lost out on a penalty shootout.

"The lads were disappointed with how we played in that last-eight game because we feel as if we could've done a lot better."

Despite his vast experience in the game Gerrard has never represented England in a World Cup, missing the 2002 tournament in South Korea and Japan through injury.

He explained: "It hurt really bad - probably one of the lows of my career, being injured for that.

"I was desperate to go. "I've had a bit of a bad time with injuries as far as the international set-up is concerned and I'd like to put that right.

"I was a bit hot and cold in Portugal too, so I'm looking to make amends in 2006." Gerrard was keen to sing the praises of Eriksson, who kept the Liverpudlian involved in the England set-up despite his injury problems.

The midfielder, a target for Spanish giants Real Madrid, recalled: "Every time I missed the squad or turned up with an injury, he was desperate for me to play and be fit.

"As a player, when you're out injured and you're down and you feel as if you're left out you want the manager to keep you involved and let you know that you're still wanted - and that's what he did."

The sooner Engerlund realise that they aren't one of the best sides in the world the better.

Why do they always set themselves ridiculous targets and talk about winning these competitions? It isn't going to happen.

England are just like Scotland - only with twice as many players. The quality is shite, and it isn't going to change while Portsmouth, Bolton, Fulham etc. and even ourselves continue to bring in overpaid, incredibly average foreign players who are restricting the development of young players. The situation in this country is the same as in Scotland.

England are shit. Fact. They have no chance of winning anything, especially with Eriksson in charge.

Always amuses me when I hear journo's say "England have a young side which should be ready to challenge in 5 years time". Shut up! Every other country has young players as well and England aren't going to be the only team to progress. 5 years ago Joe Cole was the answer to all the problems. Things change.

I'd love if England actually fail to qualify, but can't see that happening. Deffo planning to be out of the country in the summer of 2006 to avoid all this pathetic hype and the ridiculous number of st george flags everywhere. Might go to Germany and hang around with the Spanish fellas.

The sooner Engerlund realise that they aren't one of the best sides in the world the better.

Why do they always set themselves ridiculous targets and talk about winning these competitions? It isn't going to happen.

England are just like Scotland - only with twice as many players. The quality is shite, and it isn't going to change while Portsmouth, Bolton, Fulham etc. and even ourselves continue to bring in overpaid, incredibly average foreign players who are restricting the development of young players. The situation in this country is the same as in Scotland.

England are shit. Fact. They have no chance of winning anything, especially with Eriksson in charge.

Always amuses me when I hear journo's say "England have a young side which should be ready to challenge in 5 years time". Shut up! Every other country has young players as well and England aren't going to be the only team to progress. 5 years ago Joe Cole was the answer to all the problems. Things change.

I'd love if England actually fail to qualify, but can't see that happening. Deffo planning to be out of the country in the summer of 2006 to avoid all this pathetic hype and the ridiculous number of st george flags everywhere. Might go to Germany and hang around with the Spanish fellas.

I don't agree mate. Whats the point if you don't feel you can win it? The brazilian league is sh*t and their best players are sent to different leagues around europe, they very rarely play together as a team but they win because every single player in their squad believes they are the best and the desire to win is huge. For me, that makes all the difference. If England had played with that attitude against Brazil & Portugal I have no doubt they would have progressed further in the last two major tournaments.......

And whats wrong with the St George's flag? Every other country does the same........

I don't agree mate. Whats the point if you don't feel you can win it? The brazilian league is sh*t and their best players are sent to different leagues around europe, they very rarely play together as a team but they win because every single player in their squad believes they are the best and the desire to win is huge. For me, that makes all the difference. If England had played with that attitude against Brazil & Portugal I have no doubt they would have progressed further in the last two major tournaments.......

And whats wrong with the St George's flag? Every other country does the same........

Wrong, every player is supremely gifted.....

We have Neville thay have Cafu.

We have Beckham they have Ronaldino.

We have fat Shrek they have Ronaldo.

If people are so patriotic and proud of their country, why don't they show it all year around?

The national side doesn't interest me at all. Used to have an interest, but its got smaller with each passing year. But with regard to the believe that England can win things, its only going to lead to disappointment. Instead of all this talk of winning things the FA should be addressing the problems that this country has at grass roots level, rather than building up expectations.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but not that the Brazilian league is shit. Haven't the Brazilian teams, as well as the Argentinian for that matter, done quite well in the "Super Cup" when the winner of Copa Libertadore or whatever the South American club championship is called play against the CL winner?

It is however true that most if not all of their best players end up in European clubs, but the South American clubs nevertheless have pretty good sides. I guess there's just so much talent in those countries.

Believe me, the Brazilian league is sh*t, the standard of football is pants, the players play with no passion, the diving could teach Pires and Horse face a thing or two and on top of that, its corrupt to fcuk! Argentinian football on the other hand is at a much higher standard, which makes it even more puzzling why Tevez left Boca for Santos!

As for fairing in the "Toyota Cup" thingy, in a one off game to become supposed "World Champion", the South American teams raise their game and play with alot more passion whereas the european team usually treats the game as more of a friendly......similar to the way the UEFA Cup winner often beats the Champs League winner in the Super Cup!

Rash, are the Greeks supremely gifted? Belief in your ability and will to win means more than ability alone. And Brazil also have the extremely gifted players of the like Roca Junior and Juninho.....

I understand why Lpool fans do like the Czechs, two reds playin for them and great entertaining football. But in ten years if they are shit, you will still be English. I am far from a huge patriot but even if you don't want to support the National team at football, I don't see the point in saying you support another nation. (John, even if your statement was tongue in cheek there are others who say that more seriously)

England are far from shit.They've a number of excellent players such as Gerrard,Rooney,Owen,Cole and Campbell and imo if England had a decent manager they could win the World Cup.Personally i couldn't give a toss.The only international teams i have any liking for are Czeck Rep,Rep Ireland,Italy,and Holland.Though ive always liked Sweden and Denmark for some reason.

Ive noticed alot more pro-engerland supporters in Liverpool in recent years but for me i seriously cant be arsed with them. For many reasons.

Mainly i just dont feel english at all. There, its out. I was born in '76 and was raised amidst thatchers fall out. How could anyone feel english from that point on in time? engerland looked on and laughed. And im sorry, i know others suffered as hard, but We have emerged with the stigma. But We dared to not give up. Patriotism, my arse.

Maybe mixing footy with politics is wrong but i think they're intertwined. Throughout it all The Mighty Reds swept all before them. Why would We need some 'outside' interference when The Red Travelling Army had more away days than Martine McCutcheon?

Besides engerland are like the mancs with all the media fawning. And they're fucking shite. Sheer blindness and incompitence leads them to rely on 'celebrity' players when others are just ignored. Other, so called lesser countries, put them to shame.

How could anybody possibly allign themselves with their chavved up, small time no-mark fans. 'in-ger-lund' is one shit chant! 'no surrender'? What the fuck are yers wittering on about?

Ireland have entertained me much more, and me Dad has taught me all the virtues of Total Football. The only team ive ever wanted engerland to beat is turkey, and i got my wish.

I squirm when i see Gerrard singing the national anthem, practically prostituting himself for the captains job. I wonder if the queen and phil ever popped around The Bluebell for elevenses?

"How do you keep the natives from the Crack long enough to make these lovely cucumber sandwiches, Mr Gerrard?"

As NP once kindly pointed out to me legally im a british citizen. If things followed suit i suppose i should be an avid in-ger-lund fan.

Luckily i was born of sound parentage. And even luckier in my eyes i was born in Liverpool.