You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Aug 21-25 2023)

tlw content

wtwheader.jpg

Monday Aug 21:

Calvert-Lewin’s arl fella called Everton fans bitter in a rant on social media last night. Can’t blame the guy, he was in the away end at Villa Park listening to his lad being called all kinds. His crime? Going in bravely for a ball he probably wasn’t going to win and then earning himself a trip to the hospital with a broken face. He looks like the elephant man. If he were to throw one of his dresses on he’d be giving me flashbacks to those Fallows days I mentioned last week. *shudders*.

Anyway, Calvert-Lewin senior said this: “To see my son hurt like that brought me to tears again. It always will no matter what age he is. He’s now in hospital getting sorted. I hear the names he gets called by his own ‘fans’ first hand and what I will say is this. My son lives the dream daily like you wouldn’t believe and that won’t change, regardless of what some numpty in Stone Island gear shouts. Stay bitter fellas. Stay bitter.”

Also yesterday, it’s not ‘coming home’. The “brave Lionesses” didn’t get it done against Spain. I watched the second half and I was genuinely rooting for them, they seem like a sound bunch. They’d done well to get there by beating the hosts in the semi and there’s absolutely no shame in losing to a better team, which Spain were. I can’t say I’m arsed about it and them not winning didn’t impact negatively on my day at all, but unlike the men’s team I did want them to win.

Hopefully we can see an end to all of this “the women’s game is so refreshing compared to the mens” though. It’s just as cynical and there’s just as much playacting, so let’s just acknowledge that and not make it out to be something it isn’t. Spain were fucking horrendous with the shithousing and the ref was just as garbage as what we see every week in the Premier League.

One thing worth commenting on was how the VAR penalty was dealt with. Firstly, I thought that was a terrible decision but I was the only one in the group chat who thought that. That’s fine though, I’m used to being the only one in there who is right, so that’s nothing new. 

That isn’t the point I want to make though. It was interesting that the ref went to look at the screen and then she came back onto the field and announced the decision herself to the crowd. I hope this does not become a thing. The absolute last thing I need to be hearing when Anthony Taylor or Paul Tierney have fucked us is their nasal manc droning voices telling us “it’s a penalteh for a clear foul by Robertson”. Fuck. That.

Meanwhile, bad news Pearce tells us that there won’t be another six coming in as Endo is the solution to that problem. I heard that last week too. Endo has been brought in to play a lot of games, he’s not some squad filler like that Arthur jabroni.

I’m fine with that, but only if it allows us to go and get other players that we need. If Endo can hold down that fort until we find a more long term solution that we’re actually happy with rather than just making do with someone we aren’t sure about (Doucoure at Palace for example screams out “overpriced gamble”) then that’s a good thing. But we have other needs, so go and fucking address them. The fact I’m still saying this in late August is as predictable as it is depressing.

In other news, United have agreed to part company with Greenwood, no doubt because their plan to re-integrate him was blown out of the water by the Athletic last week. Too much heat so they’ve reluctantly bowed to public pressure. No English club will touch him because of the backlash and it’s difficult to see any of Europe’s big clubs getting involved either. 

If only there was a place where footballers could make huge money and where the people don’t care about how badly women are treated. Wait, there is but he’s just been kicked out of there. If only there was ANOTHER place like that.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic

Really good points on Klopp and the referees/VAR.

I feel like a lot of fans are getting a bit fed up of Klopps snappy responses to perfectly legitimate questions.

On referees, I've said this for a while bit if the Premier League is supposed to be the best league in the world then they need to start hiring the best Referees and VAR in the world. Imagine if some of the best referees in Europe were in charge rather than the likes of Taylor and Tierney. It would be such a  breath of fresh air for the league and would take some of the pressure and scrutiny off the existing referees too.

• Upvote 1

Interesting on transfers Dave, I hope Klopp reads it and takes note. I coildn’t care less about Caicedo but not buying Gvardiol will affect us for years. We didn’t seem to make any effort to bring him in. Given our relationship with Leipzig we should have been favourites it is criminal we didn’t get him. Did Virgil not fancy the competition?

I see that Tierney, far from being punished for his VAR howler last week, was given the Arsenal v Fulham game yesterday. Contrast that to Hooper who screwed up at Old Trafford and who was 'rested' last week and then given a Championship game this weekend. Rewarding incompetence seems to be at the heart of what PGMOL does, at least if your face fits.

• Upvote 1

If only there was a place where footballers could make huge money and where the people don’t care about how badly women are treated. Wait, there is but he’s just been kicked out of there. If only there was ANOTHER place like that.’

Brilliant 

The Dean comments should have sparked a massive debate about the integrity of these fuckers, but the media are far more interested in The Dirty Old Spaniard and that kiss. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic