You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

Because, for too many people, it makes them feel better about themselves.  If they cut services this type of person doesn't use then it makes them feel they're a better person. Even people who would potentially use these services in the future, or have family or friends that do, they still cheer on austerity as it gives them the sense of being better.

I think people believing this shit is as a result years of demonisation of certain demographics, enabled by the hangover of the British class system.

I think Unless you know someone for example with mental health issues,you are not going to know that there is literally no where for them to go.

Similiarly if you never use a libraby,you probally dont care they are now practically non existent. Didnt loads of those sure start centres go aswell?

Said it before,I genuinely think austerity was one of the most damaging policies thats ever been inflicted on this country. 

I think its only really been this year when people realise they cant see a dentist or get an ambulance,that the penny is finally beginning to drop.  

Even today however,ive seen simpletons defending millionaires paying as little tax as possible on Twitter..

7 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

What is the end gate here for the capitalist system. They can beat us down and work for pennies but is their wealth not built upon a pool of happy consumers funding the system through taxation and their factories and services as consumers. There must be a tipping point when we lose purchasing power and they suffer. No one gets finance, property crashes. We must be on the knife edge when we cannot afford food and heating FFS.

there are a number of people who will be living in a ditch,eating their kids to survive,who will still vote tory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

there are a number of people who will be living in a ditch,eating their kids to survive,who will still vote tory.

Still doesn't change the fact that if we go down they most likely will too. Not the 0.5% mega rich but the supposed upper middle class and wealthy whose assets are investments pensions and property.

3 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Still doesn't change the fact that if we go down they most likely will too. Not the 0.5% mega rich but the supposed upper middle class and wealthy whose assets are investments pensions and property.

i think its notable that people only really began to turn on them, when their mortgage payments went through the roof. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

i think its notable that people only really began to turn on them, when their mortgage payments went through the roof. 

I heard some Tory twat on the radio saying that as long as he has a nice house, nice car on the drive and can go on holiday twice a year, he doesn't give a shit about anything else.

This is what they've played into - Some people are selfish cunts 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

People used to go on about boom and bust but this is all bust, endless bust. It's not like they're saying 'your council has to make £50m of cuts this year but in two years we'll give them £100m and there'll be loads of lovely shit."

It'll just be more again, more again, more again until there's nothing left, until the roads don't get repaired, the grass doesn't get cut, the bins don't get emptied. Why would people choose to live like that? It just doesn't compute. 

Elections/politics are all about selling a dream of something better, even if it's not true. I'll make america great again, things can only get better. There's not even the pretence of that any more, it's 'tough decisions', 'hard choices', forever. Baffles me why people take it, it really does. 

It’s starting to feel that what David Simon wrote about in The Wire is coming even more apparent over here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

I think Unless you know someone for example with mental health issues,you are not going to know that there is literally no where for them to go.

Similiarly if you never use a libraby,you probally dont care they are now practically non existent. Didnt loads of those sure start centres go aswell?

Said it before,I genuinely think austerity was one of the most damaging policies thats ever been inflicted on this country. 

I think its only really been this year when people realise they cant see a dentist or get an ambulance,that the penny is finally beginning to drop.  

Even today however,ive seen simpletons defending millionaires paying as little tax as possible on Twitter..

Yeah, but we got to pay for carrier bags, so it all evens out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

People used to go on about boom and bust but this is all bust, endless bust. It's not like they're saying 'your council has to make £50m of cuts this year but in two years we'll give them £100m and there'll be loads of lovely shit."

It'll just be more again, more again, more again until there's nothing left, until the roads don't get repaired, the grass doesn't get cut, the bins don't get emptied. Why would people choose to live like that? It just doesn't compute. 

Elections/politics are all about selling a dream of something better, even if it's not true. I'll make america great again, things can only get better. There's not even the pretence of that any more, it's 'tough decisions', 'hard choices', forever. Baffles me why people take it, it really does. 

It's just like Brexit- it's a complete failure because it hasn't been done 'properly', so we need more of it.

32 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

I heard some Tory twat on the radio saying that as long as he has a nice house, nice car on the drive and can go on holiday twice a year, he doesn't give a shit about anything else.

This is what they've played into - Some people are selfish cunts 

Thatcherism in a nutshell

why should I not be able to get a train to work because those greedy cunts wanna pay rise?

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

*shrugs* I've had Gnasher on ignore for God knows how long. I am surprised he managed to write a sentence and not just copy and paste a link to a Tweet though.

Pompous cunt.

That's more than the sentence a posh twat like you deserves Mugface.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

They really do have the media in their pocket don't they....

Clear as day this article is worded and presented how it is to link this piece of shit to 'being innocent'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64410490

I think you're reading that completely wrong. It comes as close to calling him crooked as it can without doing so.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I think you're reading that completely wrong. It comes as close to calling him crooked as it can without doing so.

Not for me - people scan stuff....the instant scan here is the word innocent and his picture and no penalty. Most people won't read it.

He has been saying he made an innocent error - article focuses on innocent errors facing no penalty.

That is how i saw it anyway.

Maybe it us just my intense hatred of tory vermin.

But for me look how it is presented - someone just seeing that sees him and no penalty and innocent errors..

Screenshot-20230126-171625-Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not for me - people scan stuff....the instant scan here is the word innocent and his picture and no penalty. Most people won't read it.

He has been saying he made an innocent errot - article focuses on innocent errors facing no penalty.

But for me look how it is presented - someone just seeing that sees him and no penalty and innocent errors..

I can see how you mean.

If you scanned over it you would assume they are saying he is "innocent"

only reading through it do you realise if he was innocent,he wouldnt have been penalised. 

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

He has been saying he made an innocent errot - article focuses on innocent errors facing no penalty.

But the word "innocent" is in scare quotes, and you have the HMRC guy saying that nobody would get a penalty for an innocent error. I really don't think the writer of that piece has any love for Zahawi.

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

But the word "innocent" is in scare quotes, and you have the HMRC guy saying that nobody would get a penalty for an innocent error. I really don't think the writer of that piece has any love for Zahawi.

Fair do's....as i say it may be my bias - but of course people are biased - i just wonder how many have seen that headline not even bothered to click and assumed it means he is innocent.

But as i say fair do's to your opposite view.

• Like 1