You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Don’t antibodies generally fade over time anyway, we get bombarded all the time with things the body produces antibodies for.

if my understanding is right the T cells recognise/remember what’s invading and quickly order up the correct antibodies. So you overpower it before it gets a hold. 

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Aren't social media in general currently cracking down on unverified news and articles when it comes to the pandemic?

Yeah but the articles are still up on the site from media outlets from what I can see, maybe they just cracked down on the trending topics instead.

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is a question as I don't understand it, but don't antibodies fade anyway when your body isn't under attack, but your immune system remembers how to make them should the need arise? 

It's like saying you can't have any more sandwiches because you've ran out of bread, neglecting the fact you have a fully functioning oven and a supply of flour, yeast and salt in the cupboard. 

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is a question as I don't understand it, but don't antibodies fade anyway when your body isn't under attack, but your immune system remembers how to make them should the need arise? 

Yes, you get Memory B cells.

Also, we don't know how many people have been protected by T Cells, because minimal testing has been conducted, but the test that have, have shown up to 81% of people with an immuno response from T Cells.

This whole notion of “I have x and wearing a mask is fine for me so man up you pussy” is a bit, I don’t know, Tory.

There’s nothing wrong with pointing out that you find something uncomfortable, it doesn’t mean you’re a pussy.

I count myself fortunate in the fact that I don’t tend to suffer much when it comes to mental health. The last thing i’d do is be a condescending cunt and say “hey i’ve had some terrible shit happen in my life but I don’t let it affect my mental health”. That would be a shitty reaction and bereft of empathy.

Some of the comments about masks feel as though they fall into the same category.

If someone is disputing the need to use them and protect other people then that’s another matter.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Some of the comments about masks feel as though they fall into the same category.

If someone is disputing the need to use them and protect other people then that’s another matter.

Thats whats been happening. The additional over the top bullshit about how uncomfortable/hot/suffocating they are is exactly that, bullshit. Of-course they aren't the most pleasant thing to have to wear. Thats a given. Crying about it though because you don't believe in peoples liberty being taken away by being asked to wear a mask is utterly  pathetic. 

11 minutes ago, Brownie said:

This whole notion of “I have x and wearing a mask is fine for me so man up you pussy” is a bit, I don’t know, Tory.

There’s nothing wrong with pointing out that you find something uncomfortable, it doesn’t mean you’re a pussy.

I count myself fortunate in the fact that I don’t tend to suffer much when it comes to mental health. The last thing i’d do is be a condescending cunt and say “hey i’ve had some terrible shit happen in my life but I don’t let it affect my mental health”. That would be a shitty reaction and bereft of empathy.

I'll tell you what's more "tory". Not wearing a mask out of the pretense that it's such an overwhelming inconvenience to you, despite the fact it obviously isn't. I mean you have a guy in this thread slinging about hyperbole, saying he can't breathe because he simply doesn't like wearing one. What else can you do but shame these type of people?

Even if it's bollocks, I prefer the "they do nothing anyway" argument then "I can't breathe".

• Upvote 1

It's funny to compare and contrast many views on the niqab and the burka from before the pandemic.

Obviously circumstances are drastically different, but it is okay to not like masks, to feel dehumanised by masks. I wear them wherever I must, but I absolutely minimise my time spent anywhere where they are compulsory. 

I might feel more comfortable if I felt that they made a tiny bit of difference, but I don't.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2007/06/the-veil-is-dehumanizing/

I’ve written before about religion’s harm to women, but today I’d like to focus on a more specific example, the face-covering veils and shrouds that are often imposed on women in fundamentalist sects of Islam. These garments oppress women and are an affront to human dignity. By design, they are dehumanizing and degrading, and remain so even if the woman freely chooses them for herself.

If there is anything that defines human beings as a species, anything we do that differentiates us from other animals, it is communication. Other animals use sounds to convey meanings, such as the alarm calls of monkeys or the mating songs of birds, but human communication is unique in that it is not limited to conveying information about the immediate, present circumstances. Instead, we can discuss how we’re feeling and what we desire; we can describe and compare possible futures; and we can talk about our talking, in potentially endless self-referential loops of recursion.

But the full act of communication encompasses far more than just assembling strings of words. On the contrary, a person’s facial expressions, their body language, and the tones of their voice convey a huge amount of contextual information, tacit meaning and emotional significance that would be very difficult to express verbally. This non-verbal interaction is what gives warmth and genuineness to human interaction, and more than anything else, it gives assurance that we are communicating with a fellow person who sympathizes with us and feels what we feel.

The face-covering garments common in Islam deny their wearers this means of interacting with the world. Both the burqa, which covers the woman’s entire face except for a mesh grille over the eyes, and the niqab, the somewhat less severe face-covering veil that leaves the eyes exposed, have this in common. They rob social interaction of the facial cues and body language that are so fundamental a part of human communication, and therefore they are dehumanizing in its most literal sense, even if the woman voluntarily chooses them for herself. Their purpose is to make women invisible, inaccessible, and less than fully human – especially when combined, as they often are, with the tyrannical rules in Muslim theocracies that prevent women from going out in public unaccompanied or speaking to men who are not relatives.

Being able to see the other person’s face is not an absolute prerequisite for communication. Other media, such as telephones or instant messaging, also deny people this added context. But these limitations are inherent in the medium, not freely chosen by its users. And whatever their virtues, no one I know would claim that telephone conversations or the Internet are substitutes for human contact.

I will grant that the hijab, since it does not cover the face, does not have the same degrading effect. But its claimed good effect – allowing women to be appreciated for their personality and intelligence, and not just as sex objects – is unlikely to succeed. Women covering more of their bodies is not likely to lessen men’s desire. If anything, it makes ordinary interaction more sexually charged by expanding the zone of what is forbidden.

I can testify to this personally. During our junior year in college, my girlfriend shared an apartment with several other women, one of whom was a conservative Muslim who habitually wore a headscarf. Entering the apartment on one occasion, I caught a glimpse of her in the living room, without her headscarf. There was nothing unusual about her hair: it was long, flowing and black, perfectly ordinary, just like the hair of women I pass every day on the street without being in any way aroused or disturbed by the sight. But when she noticed I was there, she dashed into her room to hide, and I felt a hot bolt of embarrassment and guilt – as if I had accidentally glimpsed her topless.

Trying to lessen people’s interest in something by hiding it away, whether by headscarf, veil or burqa, will never work, and anyone who understood human psychology would know not to try such a thing in the first place. Not only does this not work, it cruelly and pointlessly punishes women by shutting them out from the world of interaction with others for something – their appearance – that is in no way within their control. I’ve always said that if it’s men’s sexual desires are the problem, then rather than Muslim women having to veil themselves, Muslim men should have to blindfold themselves, and have the women lead them around.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats whats been happening. The additional over the top bullshit about how uncomfortable/hot/suffocating they are is exactly that, bullshit. Of-course they aren't the most pleasant thing to have to wear. Thats a given. Crying about it though because you don't believe in peoples liberty being taken away by being asked to wear a mask is utterly  pathetic. 

And that's fair enough but I've seen some comments just in response to it being uncomfortable rather than anything to do with effectiveness. I absolutely agree that they should be worn in certain settings and I wear one everywhere that's it's mandatory to do so.

I do find it really uncomfortable and harder to breathe than normal though, especially when I have glasses on. There's nothing wrong in saying that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Neither of you two have ever produced a shred of evidence that masks don't help even just 1%.

That's not how evidence works.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Why say "things" instead of masks? Oh right. 

Does it really matter what he sells? His business is selling medical equipment or something of that ilk, is it not?

Be a bit fucking weird evangelising for masks, then pulling up people for selling them.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Neither of you two have ever produced a shred of evidence that masks don't help even just 1%. Logic and common sense prevails. Wear a mask and shut the fuck up whining about it. Peoples lives are at stake. 

Are we allowed to comply with the law and moan about it, or is free speech no longer allowed?

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

And that's fair enough but I've seen some comments just in response to it being uncomfortable rather than anything to do with effectiveness. I absolutely agree that they should be worn in certain settings and I wear one everywhere that's it's mandatory to do so.

I do find it really uncomfortable and harder to breathe than normal though, especially when I have glasses on. There's nothing wrong in saying that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying they are uncomfortable but saying its like having a plastic bag over your head is just lies. Masks obviously help, nobody is glad we are wearing them but decent people are accepting it and getting on with it. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's not how evidence works.

Does it really matter what he sells? His business is selling medical equipment or something of that ilk, is it not?

Be a bit fucking weird evangelising for masks, then pulling up people for selling them.

They work. You are wrong. Again. 

Erm he is saying they don't work yet was selling them on here not long ago. You should know what his business is, after all you tried to get him fired from it. More selfish behaviour.