You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Dec 14-20 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Dec 14:

L 2 Watford 0  That was shite. Watford deserved something from this game but if you’re going to get anything against the Reds you can’t afford to waste the kind of chances that Watford did. 

It was a typical early kick off following a midweek Euro away type game though really. These are never good, not when you’re playing a struggling team anyway. These are the games we’ve always drawn or lost in the past. Go back over the last couple of decades and they are littered with letdown games against shite. The last couple of years though we seem to have completely eradicated them.

These days we just win whether we play good, bad or indifferent. This one was somewhere between bad and indifferent, but the goals were class, especially the first one. Mo loves playing Watford.

You’d never believe they were bottom of the table based on this performance, but then in a way I suppose maybe you would. Scoring goals has been a huge problem all season, and we saw that today. I hope they get out of the bottom three but it’s not looking likely.

My boy Troy loves the Reds doesn’t he? See him on the pitch at full time being matey with all the lads? He was chatting with Sadio in the tunnel too, it was captured on camera as Sadio wished him Merry Christmas and told him to “look after my boy (his Senegal team-mate Sarr) because he’s shy”. Love that.

Deeney had a little tussle with Virg in the first half too which was funny. He was chasing a through ball and Virg stepped across and gave him a little elbow in the ribs. Deeney looked genuinely upset about it, he was looking at him like “how could you? You’re my hero”. Virg immediately gave him a friendly little pat and they had a hug and all was well with the world again.

It’s funny because if that was, say, David Luiz or Mustafi, Deeney would have had fucking murder with them because of the disdain he has for weak defenders. He fucking loves Virg. Who doesn’t though?

Sunday Dec 15:

The u23s drew 1-1 with Chelsea today and the line up revealed a lot about who is likely to play at Villa. It was basically Curtis Jones plus 10 under 18 players. Jones scored a brilliant goal (his 13th of the season) but only played a half before being withdrawn. He’s travelling to Qatar and won’t play against Villa. Nor will Neco Williams.

The lads who played today did a pretty remarkable job though all things considered. Chelsea had loads of highly rated kids out there, some of whom are on the fringes of Lampard’s senior squad, while we had a number of 16 year olds, so this was a hell of an effort. 

In the big league today, City had a predictably easy win at Arsenal but the interesting thing was that the game wasn’t shown in China because the Chinese have seen their arses over a tweet by Mesut Ozil and as a result of that they pulled the game and showed a repeat of Wolves v Spurs instead.

Ozil spoke out about the treatment of Muslims over in China, and Arsenal shit themselves and were at pains to point out that these were Ozil’s views alone and don’t represent what Arsenal as a club feel. They didn’t do this when Bellerin (the big fucking hero) tweeted “Fuck Johnson” the other day. Why? Because like most other sports teams, Arsenal are terrified of upsetting the Chinese because of how much money is at stake.

Same thing happened with the NBA a few months ago. LeBron James is something of a social justice warrior and is generally great when it comes to speaking on important issues. When an NBA exec from another team condemned China for their human rights issues though, LeBron wasn’t having it and said the guy ‘was not educated’ on the China situation. 

Why would he do that? Because the NBA is fucking massive in China and LeBron & co are wetting their beaks. just like Arsenal. Good for Ozil for speaking out, although he’s best mates with the Turkish president and they’ve got some shit going on over there themselves, so Ozil is leaving himself a bit open to claims of hypocrisy. A bit like when Guardiola preaches about Catalan independence while taking the Abu Dhabi money.

I don’t actually know where I’m going with this now as I’ve started rambling. I suppose the point is just, fuck Arsenal.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic
2 hours ago, tlw content said:

... so Ozil is leaving himself a bit open to claims of hypocrisy. A bit like when Guardiola preaches about Catalan independence while taking the Abu Dhabi money.

I don’t actually know where I’m going with this now as I’ve started rambling. I suppose the point is just, fuck Arsenal.

Oh yes. Classic Ush. 

2 hours ago, tlw content said:

...I was going to tweet it out but I thought nah, that’s so good people shouldn’t get that for free. That’s what you pay your money for folks.

No. We don't. We pay our money to get timely match reports. I'm looking, but I see FUCK ALL. 

• dave u unpinned this topic