You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Draft Idea - Mixed

Bjornebye

Think mine is one of my worst in all my drafts. Decent enough but not as great as some others. Think this was a draft you wanted a early pick to grab a great players from some of the thin squads

Not too sure, really. I struggled with whether the best thing was to get the absolute best player possible or if it was better to strategise a bit to minimise the number of weak links in your team.

In other words, is it better to have Messi but then have to play some unknown right back from Portugal, or would you rather have Figo and Maicon? It's not quite as simple as that but often it seemed that was the choice.

To me the more interesting question is how you think the players would play together. It's all well and good having Messi, Raul and van Basten up front (hypothetically, obviously none of us have actually done that) but then you think "who is actually going to be the main shot-taker in that group and whose main job is going to be making the chances for the others?" Since all the teams have very good players in at least 8/11 positions, a lot of it will come down to this balance in my mind.

Guest Alex_K

I dunno, looking at all the teams and they're all pretty great. Not one duff one so far.

Elite's defence of Baresi and Campbell, with Dunga in front will take some breaching.

Dunga wasn't really very good though - even in his own time, never mind in the context of the greats.

I thought John's team would storm this around halfway through - don't know why you chose 5 central midfielders though (arguably 6 with Sensini)! Maybe I'm biased because you took Sousa from under me -- wanted him to take 2 from the great Juve european cup winning midfields of mid-late 90s.

Dunga wasn't really very good though - even in his own time, never mind in the context of the greats.

I thought John's team would storm this around halfway through - don't know why you chose 5 central midfielders though (arguably 6 with Sensini)! Maybe I'm biased because you took Sousa from under me -- wanted him to take 2 from the great Juve european cup winning midfields of mid-late 90s.

Dunga wasnt very good? Behave.

Guest Alex_K

Dunga wasnt very good? Behave.

Fiorentina, Pescara, Stuttgart, Jubilo Iwata.

1 J. League title and 4 Brazilian League titles to show for 20 domestic seasons. He had a combined 10 league appearances across 3 of those Brazilian title wins, between the ages 17 to 21, approaching a point in his career where he would be roundly derided by casual fans in one of the worst Brazilian sides known. So basically he had 1 league title in Japan and Brazil each to show for 350 odd domestic games.

His honours and profile of club he played for merit no comparison with others in his position in this draft -- Makele, Redondo etc.

Giroud just won a World Cup as lead striker, if we want to argue he's one of the best ever too.

I know. Necessity though. It was either that or pick players like Wiltord. I still think my 5 are good enough to dominate a game, even if extremely narrow

Fiorentina, Pescara, Stuttgart, Jubilo Iwata.

1 J. League title and 4 Brazilian League titles to show for 20 domestic seasons. He had a combined 10 league appearances across 3 of those Brazilian title wins, between the ages 17 to 21, approaching a point in his career where he would be roundly derided by casual fans in one of the worst Brazilian sides known. So basically he had 1 league title in Japan and Brazil each to show for 350 odd domestic games.

His honours and profile of club he played for merit no comparison with others in his position in this draft -- Makele, Redondo etc.

Giroud just won a World Cup as lead striker, if we want to argue he's one of the best ever too.

Same could be said of Riquelme, much better players in his position.

Dunga was in the FIFA world 11 for four consecutive seasons, he can't have been that bad.

• 2 weeks later...