You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp interview / press conference thread

Arl arse

Klopp: "I feel good. A lot of people have had this before."

Klopp on walkout: "It's not too easy for me. Now I know it's my problem too. Anything I'd say now would make it more complicated."

Klopp: "It's not what we want. We want fans to stay until the game is finished. I have to collect more information."

Klopp says #LFC need to find "a solution" to fans' unrest over ticket prices.

Klopp: "The hospital doctor was a season ticket holder so he didn't see the game either."

Klopp on Sturridge: "We haven't decided on starting line up yet. He was fit enough to be on bench on Sat. Very impressive in Fri's session."

Klopp: "He said he would like to [play vs. Sunderland], but there was no possibility to with the two early changes."

Klopp confirms that both Coutinho and Origi will also be in the squad tomorrow.

Klopp: "We have 38 players in our squad. We will make a squad for the game but it won't be like Exeter because other players can now play."

Klopp: "I didn't feel it was too brave v West Ham in first game. It was a normal decision."

Klopp: "Cameron Brannagan is ill, that's a shame for him because he played really well. But the other players did a really good job."

Klopp: "Extra-time is possible, so it's complicated with changing, we have to see who will start - [DS/DO/PC] can't all start together."

Klopp on Dimitri Payet: "[Dortmund] played against Payet when he was with Marseille. We should not try to find a solution only for Payet."

Klopp: "The solution with Payet is to try and avoid the passes to him so he can't have influence the game."

Klopp: "We were really bad at West Ham in the league and that was the reason we lost. We need to be better."

Klopp on youth: "Never in my life have I had a problem with confidence! It's easy to be brave against Exeter, but it was necessary v [WHU]."

Klopp on youth (again): "It's very important. Young players are similar in one way, that they have big dreams."

Klopp: "It was very important. But we have time, we give them time, if they feel the same patience, then a lot of things can happen."

Klopp: "We will have a different formation to Saturday."

Klopp: "The full-backs will be similar, one of the other midfield positions will be similar."

Klopp: "I watched (Sunderland) game on Sun. I've spoken to the coaches. There were a lot of positive things to take apart from last 10mins."

Klopp: "It's happened. It's over. It's easy for me to say we have to carry on, and take the positive things from these games."

Klopp: "It was not necessary to give the points away."

We've all read Klopp standing shoulder to shoulder with the Dortmund fans when they protested a ticket hike, from 15 Euros to 18 Euros.

We all heard him criticise the Anfield atmosphere, less than 5 months ago, surely against the wishes of people who make their money on that premise.

For him to speak as ambiguously as he did makes him a hypocrite, or a fucking coward, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10163456/jurgen-klopp-on-history-making-mission-at-liverpool

Klopp's history-making mission.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp remains fully aware his target has to be to restore the club's glory days but accepts the financial firepower of his Premier League rivals makes such a challenge more difficult than ever.

In a long interview with Sky Deutschland, Klopp spoke at length of his understanding of the rich history at Anfield, and how such expectations weigh on the shoulders of any manager at the club.

But he also said he feels "comfortable" in the Reds role and is confident the supporters and the powers-that-be in the Liverpool board room will give him time to establish a dynasty to match those created by his illustrious predecessors.

"There were great managers and great players working at Liverpool that have influenced the club's history," said Klopp, who has led Liverpool to ninth in the Premier League after taking over from Brendan Rodgers in October. "We are trying to bring that success back to the club.

"Both the Manchester clubs and a few London clubs invest a lot. So if you make a few good decisions that doesn't necessarily mean that you make steps ahead on the Premier League table because these clubs are making the right decisions too.

"I've been here for four months now and I really get the impression that everybody in this club is hungry for success. And despite everybody longing for a very quick success they all are ready to be patient and to invest a certain amount of time that is necessary to gain that success.

"So I feel very comfortable over here. It's a special club, a special place. Anfield is a great stadium and you feel the history in every moment. It's an honour and it's great fun and a great adventure to be here."

Managing a club with a strong history is nothing new to Klopp - although he led Borussia Dortmund to back-to-back Bundesliga titles and a Champions League final, the German side already had a strong reputation in domestic football and had won Europe's top club title in 1997.

Liverpool, despite not winning the league championship since 1991, enjoy a similar standing in English football - but the key difference, Klopp feels, is the way the club's history is ingrained into the very fabric of the city.

"It's a really great club that had much success in the past," he said. "Everywhere you go, all around town you'll find special historic and football-related places.

"And there are the club legends. Every time you speak in public or go to an event you can be sure there are club legends present. The club is important for the city.

"Problem is: the last big trophies have been won a few years ago. It's a problem that many great clubs have in the present. You have to deal with that because obviously there are reasons for that."

Klopp has met a number of club legends, and acknowledges that the "passion for the club doesn't end with an expiring contract".

"(Jamie) Carragher and (Steve) McManaman are working for television so they are around a lot. And like everyone should have heard by now I'm living in a house that Steven Gerrard built.

"One of our rooms used to be his trophy room. Fortunately he took all the silver with him so I don't have to look at it the whole time. I met him and he is a great guy.

"That's the thing with Liverpool - you can't become someone in this club without being a great person. For everyone in this club, football is important but they want the whole person. Either you are that person or they make you that person, always caring about the club always humble.

"I'm not so much into social media but of course I recognize who tweets or writes something if we win. That passion for the club doesn't end with an expiring contract."

Klopp is under no illusion that managing Liverpool is a "dream come true" and frames his assessment of the post in much less romantic terms, speaking instead of the day-to-day grind, albeit a grind which takes place in a "wonderful environment".

"The last thing you should be as a manager is to be a dreamer," he said. "Because reality will always catch up.

"In the beginning when Liverpool called me and we made the decision to take that offer we realized that it's really the sequel of a great managerial career to coach Liverpool after a great time in Mainz and Dortmund.

"But once you are here it's just going to work in the morning and going home in the evening. And in between you've had a hard day.

"I can't go on about how great it is to be here and to congratulate myself for taking the job. I've just got too much to do and too much to work on.

"But of course you love that especially because I'm doing it in a wonderful environment."

What has not been wonderful for Liverpool under Klopp has been their defending of set-pieces - a weakness which has become a regularly-cited Achilles heel for the Reds and rightly so, as they have conceded more goals (13) from that method than all but two other Premier League clubs, Norwich and Bournemouth.

Klopp feels the short preparation time between games is a hindrance in rectifying the problem and that it is just one of several issues he needs to iron out within the squad.

"We have had these problems," he admitted. "I think it's not that we have it all the time. We conceded a goal lately against West Ham but that was a brilliant header that you cannot defend perfectly. But of course you can work on it.

"The problem is that you have to improve until the next day or within a very short time because the next match is coming and that is not too easy. And there are many other things that we have to work on within the few practice sessions.

"In general you can say that dead-ball situations are even more important in the Premier League. Some people laugh at keepers that complain about being attacked in the box.

"Sometimes as a keeper I would ask myself why I should take on that fight if I'm not protected. Dead-balls are therefore more important and more difficult to defend over here.

"But it's true we didn't score enough goals from dead-balls ourselves and didn't always defend to good. So maybe it even became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"Every time an opponent has a good chance from a dead-ball the whole stadium isn't too comfortable and we feel that. But we are working on it and we are on a good way."

• Upvote 2

Klopp on tickets: "In world of football it's not too easy to be an owner. I've been here 4 and a half months and I know these owners care."

Klopp: "They care about the supporters. They got a clean sign. This shows their interest in everything around the club. It's good."

Klopp on Sturridge: "He played about 70mins. He's had normal recovery. We have to think about how we manage his minutes now."

Klopp on Benteke: "I saw really good signs at West Ham. This isn't easiest period of his career. Getting chances is a good sign."

Klopp: "I have talked to him a few times and given him advice as a coach and as a human being. It's not worst situation in the world."

Klopp: "Sometimes players put themselves under more pressure when they face their former club. I don't have best experience of it."

Klopp: "Having Coutinho/Origi back very important. We have to manage their minutes. Some players have played lot of games, maybe too much."

Klopp: "It was perfect moment for us to take them (the youngsters) off the leash." Brad Smith has a injury problem "bit worse than cramp"

Klopp: "It was a risky formation to have Christian, Daniel and Divock together. But we wanted to win the game."

Klopp: "I don't think it's likely a line up for PL. You need balance. But Daniel and Christian can certainly play together."

Klopp: "It's not coincidence we are in 9th place. It's not coincidence Villa are where they are. We have to be strong. PL always difficult."

Klopp on Firmino: "Few weeks ago we had no strikers, now we have four. We have to find a stable formation so we always create chances."

Klopp: "Roberto is much more stable and comfortable in his performances than before. He's showing what he's capable of."

Klopp on Coutinho: "It was one of the smartest free-kicks in football history. It was very cool."

Klopp: "Philippe is someone who can make the difference in games. Not possible he's 100% but he's in a really good way."

Klopp: "Joe Allen is out for a while."

Klopp: "Lovren not back for Aston Villa but hopefully for the next game. He has a strange feeling in the muscle."

Klopp: "Caulker had a back problem. But yesterday he trained normal. Rossiter still not back in team training."

Klopp: "Brannagan lost 2 or 3 kilos. Now we need to feed him."

• Upvote 2

Klopp: "Brannagan lost 2 or 3 kilos. Now we need to feed him." Love it!

Haha... Reminds me of this story.

Shankly had high hopes about a youngster who could one day replace Ian Callaghan. The only problem was that the youngster was a bit on the thin side. Shankly, Fagan and Paisley decided that the lad needed a diet of steak. Paisley was given the job of ensuring that steak was delivered to the lads family every day.

The diet of steak continued through the end of the season and all through the summer. On the first day of pre season training the lad knocked on Shankly's door.

'Jesus Christ, son, you look like physical poetry. You're muscular. Those steaks have worked a treat' said Shankly.

The young boy tried to explain that he wanted to speak to Shanks because he had a bit of a problem. He wanted a week off because he had a few things to sort out because he had got a girl pregnant.

Shankly darted to the door of his office and shouted down the corridor,

'Joe, Bob, come here, quickly! We've created a bleeding monster!!!!'

• Upvote 6