You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

52 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I've answered before, the rise of the far right is down to EU expansion plus mass youth unemployment, both triggered by EU policy.

I don't claim to be "lefty' anything and of course I do not stand with fasicts, if you are really concerned about the rise of fasicm history tells us it flourishes with mass unemployment, a problem  which the EU seem has seemed nconcerned for over a decade.

Which policy?

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

It's possible to hate both it's not a choice of either or, the fact Italy now cannot bail itself out to help it's poorest because of imposed EU restrictions should ring alarm bells or maybe your empathy refuses to stretch that far.

Not when it's a binary question on a ballot paper. You choose the least offensive if you don't like either or abstain and take what comes. I know something of the workings of the EU and it is a flawed to say the least. The alternative being offered by frothing loons is far worse. 

GDP rates?  Do you mean EU funding contributions paid based on GDP?  Or restrictions on GDP?  Which specific policy are we talking about?

GDP rates themselves are not dictated by external measures, although external measures can inhibit growth.  So, which measures exactly are you referring to?  EU escalating debt repayments too quickly based on a country's GDP?

Italy's borrowing at 132% of it's GDP.  Their own actions are pretty worrying unless a long-term plan is stated.  The EU surely has a responsibility to ensure it's currency's strength doesn't weaken through one country's mismanagement.  Or are you saying GDP had been restricted by unfair measures leading to borrowing outpacing it?  I don't see what the motivation would be for the EU there.

Doesn't really affect us as much as most member states at the moment because we're not in the single currency (maintaining our own sovereignty and all that...)

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

The EU are talking about the amount of debt as a proportion of GDP that all Eurozone countries agreed to adhere to. 

I've no idea what Gnasher is talking about. 

EU countries did indeed agree to it, in my opinion it's a restrictive policy which favours the stronger economies over the weak, its a neo con wet dream, but I'm  ot stopping you bowing down to the EU moneymens alter,, you crack on.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

EU countries did indeed agree to it, in my opinion it's a restrictive policy which favours the stronger economies over the weak, its a neo con wet dream, but I'm  ot stopping you bowing down to the EU moneymens alter,, you crack on.

It's not an EU policy, it's a Eurozone one

Having wildly divergent debt rates will destabilise the Euro

It's a big problem for Italy, no doubt

It has nothing to do with the UK, though

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

It's not an EU policy, it's a Eurozone one

Having wildly divergent debt rates will destabilise the Euro

It's a big problem for Italy, no doubt

It has nothing to do with the UK, though

A problem for the poor in Italy is a problem for us all, dito Greece. 

This I'm alright Jack attitude is becoming the norm within the EU when confronted by massive poverty In the less wealthy nations.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

GS are not very popular within the Eurozone for their role in the Greece debt crisis.  I agree that more should have been done (as they essentially took an active role in manipulating the market).  If you think Brexit will somehow distance us from them, you're wrong.  We will be closer to them than ever, one of the big financial firms we will stand a good chance of retaining a strong presence in the City.  Brexit will have us in thrall to Wall Street more than ever.

There isn't much I've seen to suggest significant corruption on Barroso's part, but it's a very stupid move for him in terms of how it looks (although probably not financially).  It has to be said though, he's only there because of Brexit.

The EU isn't immune to sleaze, but the UK can't even keep it's own house in order on that front (Liam Fox still having a seat in parliament, for example).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Mates of the people

https://www.change.org/p/for-strong-exemplary-measures-to-be-taken-against-jm-barroso-for-joining-goldman-sachs-international

Can't understand why an unemployed brickie in Hull didn't skip down the polling booth to vote for the parasites. 

He joined after Brexit, as an example it has no relevance to anyone's vote.  If anything the vote successfully lowered the bar.

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The funny thing is, you can't find a single example of me siding with neoconservatives. 

You have shown yourself willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with Fascists. 

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

A problem for the poor in Italy is a problem for us all, dito Greece. 

This I'm alright Jack attitude is becoming the norm within the EU when confronted by massive poverty In the less wealthy nations.

it's not, mate. We're leaving remember

We now have to concern ourselves only with our own poor and, God knows, there's enough of them and shortly to be a whole lot more

Don't know if you remember Liverpool in the 80s - the poverty, misery and strife

Say hello again

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

it's not, mate. We're leaving remember

We now have to concern ourselves only with our own poor and, God knows, there's enough of them and shortly to be a whole lot more

Don't know if you remember Liverpool in the 80s - the poverty, misery and strife

Say hello again

Without the chance of getting out and working in Europe this time though. 

We have (had - essentially) a position outside of Schengen, outside of the eurozone and were a major influence on policy (a lot of EU financial regulations were designed based on, and built on, FCA and HMRC measures) and security.  Most of the loudest issues (immigration - mitigated by being outside of Schengen, common fisheries, agricultural measures, austerity) are of our own making or mismanagement yet we have consistently been told that it's the EU's fault.

I'm not a fan of any structure that dilutes a community's ability to manage it's own affairs (and the EU, while very rarely preventing that, is at least a larger sphere of influence and therefore a dilution of sorts), but the most important thing right now, is that the country has been lied to.  We'll still have to deal with every little bit of red tape, just we won't have the freedom to choose how and when.

There is no plan (we're well beyond the point of external negotiation, industries should have draft legislation at this point so individual businesses can properly plan and mitigate - just in my department of a large firm we have millions set aside and the change management team openly admit they have no idea what it's going to be for, as one of those mugs who ends up doing the unpaid overtime to make these projects work I am dreading it), let alone a good one. 

I don't want Kent to become a car park, I don't want our ports to freeze, I don't want to lose our closest allies in terms of national security, I don't want us exposed to a sudden jolt of inflation pushing more people into poverty, I don't want to see the NHS fall away from us and, personally, I'm already sick of having to tell people living on the continent that we don't know whether they'll be able to access their life savings after next year.  It's a joke, an utter mess, it's a classic tory shambles as well - they can't wait because they are well insulated from the damage and will have plenty of opportunity to turn the crisis into personal profit.

Wanting to proceed, as a working or middle class person, can only be belligerence, ignorance or nihilism.  It's mindless.

If I was just thinking for myself I'd have jumped into Business Analysis as I was considering a few years ago, working on day rates through this mess is going to be a goldmine for them.

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The funny thing is, you can't find a single example of me siding with neoconservatives. 

You have shown yourself willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with Fascists. 

Ffs angry, you're sounding  more and more like Margret Hodge with a bad hangover every single post.

Give  yourself and the the silly slurs a break or i ll be Rudolf Hess by the end of the night.