You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3-4-3 formation

WhiskeyJar

"it looks like he has just been desperately trying anything in the hope that something might work. It looks as though he has stumbled upon this formation.

Again, I'm happy that we seem to be playing better football and winning, but the old maxim is true : if you throw enough shit then some will stick"

This all day long, he's been splashing around all season to find something that works, nearly 30 games in and he looks to gave found a good thing, you wait as well, he'll fuck with it to accomodate players that don't deserve to be playing.

Maybe we could try a 4-4-1-1 (a 4-4-2 from the Suarez times) when Sturridge is fit. When's he coming back again? I'd play Moreno-Skrtel-Sakho-Johnson/Manquillo Can-Henderson-Lallana-Coutinho Sterling-Sturridge with Sterling in the "Suarez" role, Lallana and Coutinho playing not as wingers but as attacking mids and all the front 4 interchanging positions.

Maybe we could try a 4-4-1-1 (a 4-4-2 from the Suarez times) when Sturridge is fit. When's he coming back again? I'd play Moreno-Skrtel-Sakho-Johnson/Manquillo Can-Henderson-Lallana-Coutinho Sterling-Sturridge with Sterling in the "Suarez" role, Lallana and Coutinho playing not as wingers but as attacking mids and all the front 4 interchanging positions.

Sorry but you mentioned Johnson, so for that reason alone I'm out.

• Upvote 1

Depends on the personnel.

Right now, it seems to be working better than anything else we've tried this season so I'm fine with it.

However, Rodgers needs to be making a decision about how he sees us setting up long-term and getting the players in to play it, whether it's this or something else. We can't buy a load of players and then have to cast about trying different stuff out every season until we manage to find a way to make them work.

Great point that.

Rodgers has done that a few times actually. For me it's a strength of his that he's adaptable and can find solutions but i'd rather our strategy and planning was just better to be honest.

The much simpler solution to Sturridge getting injured would have been putting Sterling upfront and staying with the diamond in midfield. For me, it's Rodgers starting with only one striker and that striker being a static Balotelli or Lambert most of the time that's hurt us most this year.

Balotelli looked good with Sturridge as a partner in the limited time they played together so surely the least disruptive action would have been to try and get Sterling to replicate Sturridges movement?

The current formation,even if you add Sturridge to it, lacks goals and balance to me.

The much simpler solution to Sturridge getting injured would have been putting Sterling upfront and staying with the diamond in midfield. For me, it's Rodgers starting with only one striker and that striker being a static Balotelli or Lambert most of the time that's hurt us most this year.

Balotelli looked good with Sturridge as a partner in the limited time they played together so surely the least disruptive action would have been to try and get Sterling to replicate Sturridges movement?

The current formation,even if you add Sturridge to it, lacks goals and balance to me.

He played a diamond with Sterling in 2 games and it didn't work. You cant play a pressing high tempo game if one of the forwards is Lambert or Balotelli.
  • Upvote 1

He played a diamond with Sterling in 2 games and it didn't work. You cant play a pressing high tempo game if one of the forwards is Lambert or Balotelli.

Southampton often got compared to the way we played last year and Lambert featured the majority of times for them. I don't think Balotelli playing alongside a more mobile forward was given enough chance to work. Balotelli's workrate to recover the ball has been good in most games. It's his lack of movement when upfront on his own when we have the ball that's been the problem.

The classical 3-4-3

The classical 3-4-3 archetype has been around for several decades. The formation is extremely strong though the midfield, but like most 3-man backlines, its gains that strength by sacrificing width. The formation naturally struggles against the classical 4-3-3, but with such a possession dominant side like Bayern Munich, the man advantage in midfield can actually be a blessing worth the sacrifice.

While the defensive phase of the game relies on the 3-man backline and the 4-man midfield(including 2 wingbacks), the offensive side of the game has featured several different main archetypes over the years; the 3-4-1-2 and the 3-4-2-1. The former uses an attacking midfielder behind a two striker set. This formation is almost entirely offensive and extremely strong against a 4-man backline, occupying the main centerbacks and opening space for the CAM. The formation was strong in the age of the 4-4-2 with it's numerical supremacy in midfield but dwindled in use as the 4-2-3-1 evolved, eliminating it's chief advantage and attacking it's biggest weakness (lack of width).

The 3-4-2-1 is a much more demanding tactical formation, using two withdrawn strikers/CAMs behind the main striker. It's a formation that requires squads to rotate and be tactically maleable. The two withdrawn strikers are the most critical piece of the attack, for as one shifts wide, the other tucks in behind the main striker to maintain midfield superiority. Without the two strikers up front, much of the supplementary attacking burden in the 3-4-2-1 falls on the wide players: the wingbacks. Without their contributions, the attack can't maintain any numerical superiority in attack and falters more often then not. This requires them to be aggressive yet also disciplined, as they are the only wide defensive options.

The main reason the 3-4-2-1 never become too widespread in use was the demanding nature of the formation. It requires players to be tactically astute. It requires them to have very complete skillsets. And last but far from least, is that it requires players to be at the top of their games physically. The lack of width puts enormous pressure on the wingbacks, while the 3-man press upfront requires a sustained level of coordination.

http://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2014/8/5/5960443/pep-guardiola-bayern-munich-tactics-3-4-3-formation-lineup

The main reason the 3-4-2-1 never become too widespread in use was the demanding nature of the formation. It requires players to be tactically astute. It requires them to have very complete skillsets. And last but far from least, is that it requires players to be at the top of their games physically. The lack of width puts enormous pressure on the wingbacks, while the 3-man press upfront requires a sustained level of coordination.

Capello used it well at Roma when they won Serie A. He used defenders that liked to defend such as Aldair, Samuel and Zago. He used wing backs with phenomenal stamina, defensive nous and attacking width in Cafu and Candela. He used 2 midfield workhorses in Tommasi and Emerson to buy space for Totti, who operated behind a front 2 instead of as a withdrawn striker. It meant he could get on the ball more and feed the strikers. They had Batistuta to provide the bulk of the goals with the likes of Delvecchio or Montella running the channels and creating space.