You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

I disagree. Radical Islam is laying waste to whole countries, radical Christianity - true, ideologically radical Christianity and not wealthy white men pretending they're Christians so they can make money - consists of a baptist church in Minnosota where the reverend marries his daughters. I don't know what a radical Buddhist looks like, but he's probably pretty cool.

Radical Buddhists are a pain in the fucking arse mate.  Politicised, and weaponised.  Not cool.  Less alms, more arms.  Same as every religion.  

Saudi and Qatar are doing a lovely job of funding them. Blaming the US all the time gets boring, blame the fundementalists, blame the different sects, blame the dogma, blame the religion.

It may be boring to you but it is significantly more accurate than the notion that Muslims are just loons.

I disagree. Radical Islam is laying waste to whole countries, radical Christianity - true, ideologically radical Christianity and not wealthy white men pretending they're Christians so they can make money - consists of a baptist church in Minnosota where the reverend marries his daughters. I don't know what a radical Buddhist looks like, but he's probably pretty cool.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dominionism

They're as bad as each other. Fucking loons.

I don't think anyone is saying they hate Muslims, they are saying they find Islam has some pretty shit views.

Pointing out nice Muslims is weird, especially when the reasons you think they are nice are all against Islamic law/tradition.

Pointing out nice Muslims is the very opposite of weird. It's about humanising the billions of normal

people who've been demonised by the portrayal of a very small number of bad fucking lidders in the western media.

A key stupid idea is that all Muslims must lead strictly religious lives. Why the fuck must they? Billions of Christians and millions of Jews totally ignore some of the stupid archaic rules of their faith every day and normal Muslims are no different.

• Upvote 1

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

Yes, but again - a relative handful of lidders don't define billions of ordinary people. The populist view though is that Muslims are terrorists.

Yes, but again - a relative handful of lidders don't define billions of ordinary people. The populist view though is that Muslims are terrorists.

Of course the minority are terrorists, but the fundamentals of the religion are fucking hateful, and the religion teaches that the book which spouts the hate isn't to be challenged.

There's a clip on BBC news this morning talking about the open day at mosques. What do you think all the people in the clip have in common?

You dont believe American Christians are fuelling these wars themselves? After all,without US and UK involvement some of these groups wouldnt or couldnt exist.

Yeah but I believe it's under the guise of Christianity rather than genuine. I don't think the Tea Party types are sat there flogging themselves like that mad monk from the Da Vinci Code, they just go to church because they think it's a throwback to 50s America, like picket fences, drive ins and far fewer Mexicans.

Christianity is actually getting less radical, the church of England just appointed its first female bishop and there's a gay vicar in Corry.

The radical Islamic movements are relatively small I imagine but powerful enough to bascally conquer the rest of the Muslim world with both arms and propaganda.

Much of that is undoubtedly down to western foreign policy, but I dont believe that foreign policy was ever fueled by Christianity, just good old fashioned Krugerrands and a smatterng of machismo.

Of course the minority are terrorists, but the fundamentals of the religion are fucking hateful, and the religion teaches that the book which spouts the hate isn't to be challenged.

There's a clip on BBC news this morning talking about the open day at mosques. What do you think all the people in the clip have in common?

There are hateful elements to most religions. That doesn't mean everyone believes them. Christians are not routinely categorised as terrorists or extremists despite the existence of nutters saying and doing mad shit in the name of God. I say again, I think Muslims need humanising in this country because there's a strong perception that they all believe hateful shit.
  • Upvote 1

There are hateful elements to most religions. That doesn't mean everyone believes them. Christians are not routinely categorised as terrorists or extremists despite the existence of nutters saying and doing mad shit in the name of God. I say again, I think Muslims need humanising in this country because there's a strong perception that they all believe hateful shit.

For the record I think they are all as mental as each other, but Christians have at least moved on and now reject the crazy bits of the bible. You simply cannot say that about islam. Or Id be able to draw Allah without fear of someone chopping my head off. For a drawing. Some lines on a piece of paper.

For the record I think they are all as mental as each other, but Christians have at least moved on and now reject the crazy bits of the bible. You simply cannot say that about islam. Or Id be able to draw Allah without fear of someone chopping my head off. For a drawing. Some lines on a piece of paper.

Yet you cannot be President of the USA without saying you attend a church every week and worship Willo The Wisp.

Thats some fucked up shit right there.

Yet you cannot be President of the USA without saying you attend a church every week and worship Willo The Wisp.

Thats some fucked up shit right there.

Totally agree, a nation founded in secularism yet they demand the illusion of a religious leader. But that's a completely separate point isn't it? In some countries saying you weren't religious would get you locked up...or worse. I think you are obsessed with America, I imagine you like Apollo Creed.

I'm still sure that the church still pushes plenty of crazy shit that people follow.

Only need to look at Africa and the persecution of gays,the refusal of the Catholic Church to tell people to use condoms thar is helping causes a massive aids epidemic.

Some Christians have moved on, as have some Muslims and some Jews.  (Actually, it's probably "most" in all three cases.)

The arseholes who murdered the staff (and visitors) of Charlie Hebdo are on a par with that good Christian Anders Breivik or the Israeli government, who routinely bomb civilians who are different from them, on the basis that a Bronze Age fairy story says it's OK.

All three religions have their bat-shit followers, with people who cheerfully commit atrocities in the name of their particular flavour of sky-pixie.  None can claim a moral high-ground over the others.

• Upvote 2

I'm still sure that the church still pushes plenty of crazy shit that people follow. Only need to look at Africa and the persecution of gays,the refusal of the Catholic Church to tell people to use condoms thar is helping causes a massive aids epidemic.

Yep, the pope said it again last week in the Philippines. Mental. But they aren't killing people for drawing.

Islamists are more dangerous than anyone in the world right now.

Positives of Islam?

Well they used to be a leading light of education, culture and tolerance in the world.

But now the majority of countries (not all) that have a majority Muslim population are either complete and utter shit holes and/or have a terrible track record of human rights violations.

Look down a list and think to yourself, would you want to live there? S. Sudan, Morocco, Afghanistan, Chad, Iraq, Jordan, Niger, Comoros, Somalia, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Albania.

Oh you have the odd exception when it comes to stats like GDP. For example Qatar (uses slave labour) and Brunei/Kuwait (vast natural resources/relatively small population). 

I think a better question would of been...

What happened to Islam?

From creating Algebra and laying down the basics of the scientific method and the great empries of Khwarezm and Abbasid to modern day Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan (blah blah blah Gulf war/afghan war, countries were messed up before the wars, just not as messed up).

It is just sad to know what Islam once was, seeing that it has regressed so much and now the entire religion is being tainted by a small percentage of extremists.

Also to people saying that all religions have extremists, yes, yes they do. But just take a look at the sheer quantity of terror attacks in 2014 and see that the vast, vast majority (well basically all) have been perpetrated by Muslims. Now this could be understandable if the vast, vast majority of people on the plant were Muslim..... but they aren't.

5 terror attacks occurred in the Western World (excluding Israel and America) in 2014 and of that number only 1 wasn't a Muslim attack, Northern Ireland.

But its because of the West that all these terror attacks have occurred, I hear you say. Bah I say, Bah! Again the vast, vast majority of the terror attacks are Muslim upon Muslim. Cases that we hardly ever get to hear or read about. 

Also saying that  Anders Behring Breivik was a Christian terrorist is absurd. He was a right wing nutjob who hated immigrants

If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God then you are a religious Christian. Myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God. We do however believe in Christianity as a cultural, social, identity and moral platform. This makes us Christian...You don’t need to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus to fight for our Christian cultural heritage. It is enough that you are a Christian-agnostic or a Christian-atheist (an atheist who wants to preserve at least the basics of the European Christian cultural legacy

"I'm not going to pretend I'm a very religious person as that would be a lie. I've always been very pragmatic and influenced by my secular surroundings and environment," 

"Religion is a crutch for many weak people and many embrace religion for self serving reasons as a source for drawing mental strength"

Holy shit! That man sounds like a Christian extremist/fundamentalist!

Also when people speak of 'Christian terrorism' it is almost never International (eg. US citizens blowing up US citizens) and usually politically inspired. This is in very stark contrast to jihad/religious war.

Oh they have also given us Wahhabism. THANKS ISLAM

• Upvote 1

If Christians can do this...

1583_8133_w300.jpg

... then Muslims can do this.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/visitmymosque/

The Muslim Council of Britain is organising a national #VisitMyMosque day onSunday 1st February 2015, where British mosques will open their doors to the general public.

Mosques will be sharing tea and cakes alongside an insight into the day-to-day goings on of a busy Muslim centre of worship.

Members of the community are there to get to know one another better and some may be on hand to answer questions about Muslims and Islam where this is possible. Local mosques will also be inviting inter-faith leaders as well, and all will be invited to come together to demonstrate unity and solidarity during what has been a tense time for faith communities.

#VisitMyMosque day is part of a national initiative by Muslims to reach out to fellow Britons following tensions around terrorism.

Well, that worked well. Could be a set up but a female C4 reported alledgedly kicked out of a mosque.