You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Educating Yorkshire

Dougie Do'ins

Hence it's something for the parents to address, deal with and seek treatment rather than teachers having that responsibility to mention it.  I'm not sure how that works in practice.

Nah. I'm quite sure Skids can answer for himself but what if the parent, for whatever reason, does not recognise the child's behaviour as something that requires additional support?

'Treatment' is not a discrete remedy, like a tablet that will resolve the problem by itself; as I have already said it requires consistent and sustained management from all those around the child and cannot be done in isolation.

Equally, sometimes parent are so close to their child's behaviour that they do not recognise it as being fundamentally different from just misbehaviour. Teachers are in a unique position of seeing many many children and are sometimes better placed to pick up on traits that may require additional support.

Edit. Oh, I see that he just has!

• Upvote 2

I think to a point he has a rapport but when that Saffyiah told him that she had got into college, all he really had to say was "With my personal reference " taking away any credit from her.

Luckily for him she was too thick to realise, bless her.

Yeah, I picked up on that too. Maybe he meant it as a joke but it did make him look like an arse

Yeah, I picked up on that too. Maybe he meant it as a joke but it did make him look like an arse

I just don't see passion from this fella at all and I only see a performance for the camera, like many of the pupils. I felt sorry for some kids and angry at others.

I think he tends to push forward the schools characters rather than the achievers. Characters in school are ace. The kid who got voted to be year 10 MP (he wants to be a singer, actor or fireman) and the lad who wanted to be what his Dad was but didn't know what his dad did were two characters in the adult world who will get by in life by being a laugh to be around.

However the second lad will probably be left behind because the school will label him disruptive when all he needs is his true learning style identified and the correct learning plan put in place for him. Isolation or exclusion is not going to do that.

It also good and well him saying we need to get them ready for the big wide world or they have failed them. But that is all bullshit for me. Not once have I seen him say to one kid the actual realities of what goes on once they leave school. The hard work starts once that final GCSE exam is finished.

And they wonder why kids struggle as soon as they are left to fend for themselves.

It seems on the evidence of this school that nothing has changed in the (nearly) 19 years since I left education. And that angers me. I am sure there are schools that offer more, but is it really enough?

I just don't see passion from this fella at all and I only see a performance for the camera, like many of the pupils. I felt sorry for some kids and angry at others.

I think he tends to push forward the schools characters rather than the achievers. Characters in school are ace. The kid who got voted to be year 10 MP (he wants to be a singer, actor or fireman) and the lad who wanted to be what his Dad was but didn't know what his dad did were two characters in the adult world who will get by in life by being a laugh to be around.

However the second lad will probably be left behind because the school will label him disruptive when all he needs is his true learning style identified and the correct learning plan put in place for him. Isolation or exclusion is not going to do that.

It also good and well him saying we need to get them ready for the big wide world or they have failed them. But that is all bullshit for me. Not once have I seen him say to one kid the actual realities of what goes on once they leave school. The hard work starts once that final GCSE exam is finished.

And they wonder why kids struggle as soon as they are left to fend for themselves.

It seems on the evidence of this school that nothing has changed in the (nearly) 19 years since I left education. And that angers me. I am sure there are schools that offer more, but is it really enough?

Will need to get back to you on this one......its a school night for me, I'm afraid

How do they manage to avoid filming all the horrible bullying abusive twats that make up the majority of teaching staff?

What do you base this on? Teaching and teachers now bear little resemblance to my own school experience

It was unfair to say the majority, but it's more than a minority, in varying degrees of cuntiness. I don't mean physical abuse (none of them touched my willy), although corporal punishment was being phased out whilst I was at school it hadn't been banned entirely and I did get my arse whacked with one of those massive plimsolls a few times, and to be fair I could be a bit of a cunt at that age. But, as I said, that wasn't really an issue, it was more the verbal shit. They'd stop short of saying anything they could actually be pulled for (except one time), but it seemed to me that I was taking their shit because some other kid had made them look a cunt and they were passing it on, classic sign of a bully.

When I hear some of the petty shite my oldest boy has to put up with at school- for instance he recently got a detention for not wearing the correct uniform, his trousers didn't have the school logo near the belt line, the teacher needed him to lift his jumper to notice this- I see how the job still attracts the same sad pillow biters that I had to deal with. It's not as if he's a bad bugger either, every parent's evening at least one teacher will tell us what a polite, well behaved young man he is. 

Wait til they get his younger brother, Jerzy, now he is a proper little fucker, he'll be on 10 hour shifts the amount of detention they'll throw at him.

• Downvote 1

I picked up on your comments about uniform, jonny. In principle I would say that I support uniform, it provides a sense of identity, that sense of 'we're here to work,' removes some of the tensions that wearing your own clothes brings but I do think that at times the emphasis schools/certain teachers place on it is out of all proportion to other more important matters, for example, what your shoes are made out of (the current gripe of my daughter's headteacher).

It sometimes has that desperate feel of 'if I cant exert my influence anywhere else I'll do it with the dress code'; only serving to highlight what you were trying to hide in the first place.

• Upvote 1

I agree about uniform (must be an age thing, I thought it unnecessary when I had to wear it). I just don't think we should have to pay a £20+ premium to have the school logo in a place it can rarely be seen, especially when it's already prominently displayed on the shirt and jumper. Surely black trousers are black trousers.

I agree about uniform (must be an age thing, I thought it unnecessary when I had to wear it). I just don't think we should have to pay a £20+ premium to have the school logo in a place it can rarely be seen, especially when it's already prominently displayed on the shirt and jumper. Surely black trousers are black trousers.

Do you live in England?

While uniform is generally encouraged here, I'm not aware of schools obliging parents to buy uniform from prescribed retailers as I hear about in the media.

My sisters kids go to a school which traditionally not had a uniform (bunch of hippy non-conformist parents). The school got a new head recently who wanted to introduce uniform, one of the arguments being that the wearing of uniform raises achievement. That kinda fell on its face when the parent group pointed out that the school is already one of the highest academic achievers in Edinburgh!

Yes, it's an English school. One parent did question the legality of forcing parents to use one supplier (anti competition laws and all that), the school got round this by saying it was available from two sources- the prescribed retailer or the school itself. It wouldn't be so bad if the quality was superior, it isn't. And there are small design changes every year or so to stop uniform being passed to siblings. The price we pay for academy status, I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Best of the series, I thought. Found it odd that it was down to the English teacher to help a kid with a stammer, and that no-one had tried basic stuff like speaking with music through earphones, etc.

*Puts on educationalist's hat*

Probably because:

1. They're teachers, not speech therapists.

2. Their special needs co-ordinator will be attempting to juggle the needs of about 40% of the students on their roll whilst having a teaching commitment of their own to deal with too.

3. The speech and language service in the local authority will have been cut back to the bare bones like everyone else.

4. Michael Gove is a cunt.

• Upvote 1

*Puts on educationalist's hat*

Probably because:

1. They're teachers, not speech therapists.

2. Their special needs co-ordinator will be attempting to juggle the needs of about 40% of the students on their roll whilst having a teaching commitment of their own to deal with too.

3. The speech and language service in the local authority will have been cut back to the bare bones like everyone else.

4. Michael Gove is a cunt.

This was kind of my point, Paul. That a speech therapist should have been doing it. It shouldn't have been the responsibility of an English teacher. I had anticipated that a lack of money would be the answer.

• Upvote 1

This man is an odious creature. I'd like to work under an education secretary who doesn't view teachers as the enemy some day.

I'm going for a new job/promotion this week to a school that, like my own, serves a very challenging community but, unlike my own, retains a view of the whole child and the concept of "adding value" educationally. The head there had an HMI visit recently as they were caught out like many other schools by the English GCSE shenanigans of that arch cunt at the DFE and fell below the floor target for 5 A*-C including English and Maths.

Anyway, the HMI was the senior HMI for the North of England and gave them a glowing bill of health for their capacity to improve rapidly. She told the head she particularly admired his focus on children from disadvantaged communities in the current political climate. However, she went on to say that he did need to know that Gove, who she meets on an almost weekly basis at the DFE, glazes over if anyone talks about disadvantage or relative starting points and will simply leave a conversation if it persists. He literally does not care.

Good luck with the job, mate. Hope you get it.

I remember being told that when the current lot came to power via the tradesmen's entrance that Gove had apparently told Cameron that under almost no circumstances did he want the education job aside from the caveat that if he were to be given the role he would have no interference from anyone.

Good luck with the job, mate. Hope you get it.

I remember being told that when the current lot came to power via the tradesmen's entrance that Gove had apparently told Cameron that under almost no circumstances did he want the education job aside from the caveat that if he were to be given the role he would have no interference from anyone.

If true, that is truly appalling. I cant decide which of them is the more arrogant

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...