You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

He was recommended by a friend who had her shower done by him. Seemed to know his stuff like and gave us his workie code to get a discount at Topps Tiles too.

Got another lad coming Monday night so will see what he says as well but glad to know that's reasonable

'Reasonable' is different to everyone mate. What style of tiling you having done?

I had the kitchen and bathroom done with a mirrored finish and brick block style so it obviously cost more but if you're getting the bathroom and kitchen fucked off for 250 quid that doesn't sound obscene at all.

Just don't try and work out what he'll make an hour as you'll regret never getting a trade.

He was recommended by a friend who had her shower done by him. Seemed to know his stuff like and gave us his workie code to get a discount at Topps Tiles too.

Got another lad coming Monday night so will see what he says as well but glad to know that's reasonable

If you've seen the guy's work, you (or more importantly your missus) would be happy to have him in your house and you're happy with the price, bite his hand off. Good tradespeople are worth their weight in gold

If its not too late, dont bother with tiling, use shower panels. A lot better, you can get then in a range of colours and finishes but best of all, no fucking grout!

Oh, yeah, what happened to that idea?

Oh, yeah, what happened to that idea?

Lady Dangerously override.

Also having sat in the yard for a few hours yesterday it seems we have a bee issue. This hole (a no longer used waste pipe) was bumble bee central all afternoon. I know bumble bees are mostly harmless but it raises concerns about other stingy bees knocking about and unless we can stick a tap in for access to honey they're going to have to be sorted for when the baby inevitably puts her hand in the hole.

Posted Image

Apparently you can get black grout. Helluva idea that.

We still have our steam mop with grout cleaning attachment so I'll (and it will be me) will be using that each weekend

Not impressed?

So, what didnt she like? Because it wasnt her idea?

To be honest I'm not that fussed either way except the maintenance.

The issues were having is that she wants it to be a show home from day one which is completely unrealistic and I want it just liveable and safe, because we have the rest of our lives to do it up.

She grew up in France where everything is tiled so that's what she considers a safe and smart bathroom. I've managed to haggle her down to just the shower and sink area (as opposed to all walls) for now so I'll pick and choose my fights I reckon.

To be honest I'm not that fussed either way except the maintenance. The issues were having is that she wants it to be a show home from day one which is completely unrealistic and I want it just liveable and safe, because we have the rest of our lives to do it up. She grew up in France where everything is tiled so that's what she considers a safe and smart bathroom. I've managed to haggle her down to just the shower and sink area (as opposed to all walls) for now so I'll pick and choose my fights I reckon.

Haha. No, do all the walls!

And wet wall the shower.

Edit. 'the rest of your lives to do it up'. Like she'll want to be there any more than 5 years!!!!

What happened to Monty and his fence panels? Bounced in here looking for advice and hasn't been back since.

Still looking at options. Fella behind me sent ahead and sorted that boundary with panels well darker than I wanted. He can shove his going halves up his arse now.

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile in decking news, over the last couple weeks the decking has grown sides and there is now the semblance of a bus shelter at the bottom of next door's garden. There's not a straight line anywhere on it. I've seen better gang huts.

I'm counting the days until our shed arrives and we can get that new fence in

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...