You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No mate, loads of confusion about the weigh in.  We could have got tickets the day before but my mate said we can just turn up.  When we went they wouldn't let us in without tickets (it wasn't even sold out).

So as we walked away a guy came over to us and offered us tickets at $15 each, which we thought was fair enough, they were free up until the morning of the weigh in but $15 wasn't too bad UNTIL... We went back with out tickets and they said they were fakes, we disputed this and they told us to actually look at the tickets, Theophane's name was spelt wrong haha.  Proper conned.

So we missed the weigh in, we had to watch it at a bar.  When I went to Vegas last time (for the cancelled Khan/Peterson2 fight) it wasn't the same as this.  The entire 4 days were just like a carnival party atmosphere.  I've never been in town for a Mayweather event and I'm not sure if it was so unreal because of the hype surrounding the fight.  We were sat next to these big Mexican dudes and my mate had a $100 bet with him that Mayweather would win.  The guy paid up during round 9 haha! 

So many stories to tell about the 4 days.  Some American actor (I didn't recognise him) but my mate said from an American show called Breaking Bad offered us $4,000 each for our tickets, we obviously said no though.

• Upvote 2

In any other era, Norton would have been world heavyweight champion for years. He was just unlucky to have had to fight Foreman, Ali and Holmes in world title fights.

Trivia fact: Norton is the only World Heavyweight Champion to have never won a title fight. He became world heavyweight champion after beating Jimmy Young in a title eliminator when Ali refused to fight Norton for a 4th time and signed for a rematch with Spinks instead. The WBC awarded their version of the title to Norton and Norton fought his 1st defence against Holmes. In this fight, Holmes won a split decision and became the new WBC champion.

It's been a bad last 12 months for former Heavyweight World Champions with Corrie Sanders, Michael Dokes, Tommy Morrison and now Norton all passing away since September 2012.

Did you get a picture with the actor? Breaking Bad is TLW's favourite TV show!

I didn't know who he was, my mate said after he'd fucked off "Do you know who that was?" and then said it was Dean Norris or Morris.  I wiki'd him, he's not really been in anything I've seen.

We got loads of pictures with boxers though.  All the Golden Boy fighters really, there was a decent boxing card on Thursday night which was empty (attendance wise) it was Golden Boy so loads of their fighters came and that was perfect for pictures.  Bernard Hopkins asked me if I was related to Kugan Cassius (not sure if it's a black thing or British - maybe both).  He was actually surprised when I said no haha!

Paulie Malignaggi tweeted asking people to hang out with him so I replied and he met us at the show on Thursday, he's so funny in person.  I don't know if he's friendless or something but he just spoke to us for ages about pointless stuff that you'd usually only bore your friends with haha, he seems a bit mental.

Oh forgot to add!!!!  I finally met those brothers haha those goofy ones who come out with all the fighters!

• Upvote 2

wasn't that long ago since Joe Frazier as well. seemed a nice chap Norton. remember someone on here saying he got his cock out in a film and it was like someone unfurling a rug.

Not sure about his appendage, but he did star in Mandingo & a couple of other films I believe.

Still think he was robbed in one of the Ali fights & should have a 2-1 slate with the great man.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9694996/floyd-mayweather-canelo-alvarez-top-grossing-ppv-fight

The Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Saul "Canelo" Alvarez junior middleweight unification fight last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas indeed lived up to its billing as "The One."

Showtime, which broadcast the fight on pay-per-view, announced Thursday, along with promoters Golden Boy Promotions and Mayweather Promotions, that Mayweather's dominant decision victory shattered the all-time record for highest-grossing pay-per-view fight of all time, generating $150 million in revenue from 2.2 million pay-per-view buys.

"This is what we anticipated when we formed our partnership with CBS/Showtime (in early 2013) -- record-breaking results," Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com. "We're just ecstatic and we want to thank the fans for supporting this promotion. It was a lot of hard work.

"Everybody busted their behinds but Floyd has tremendous star power and the ability to attract new fans with the support of Showtime and CBS with their plethora of platforms that we were able to utilize. It's just been remarkable. It's the best working with the best."

The $150 million in pay-per-view haul broke the record set by Mayweather's decision victory against Oscar De La Hoya in 2007. That fight generated $136 million from an all-time record 2.48 million pay-per-view buys. Adjusted for inflation, Mayweather-De La Hoya would be worth $153 million in today's dollars.

The $150 million and 2.2 million buys will likely increase as all of the buys are accounted for, giving the fight an outside chance to also break the buy record. Mayweather-De La Hoya was initially announced at 2.15 million buys and then amended a couple of months later when more of the numbers were tallied.

The only pay-per-view events to top 2 million buys are Mayweather-De La Hoya and Mayweather-Alvarez.

"I'm very happy for the fighters. They will make substantial amounts of money from the upside, a lot more than their guarantees," Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. "But I am happy as well for the sport of boxing. This is a vote of confidence for the sport and one would have to be an idiot to keep saying this is a dying sport like some people have said. This shows you the strength of the sport of boxing and that boxing today continues to deliver huge numbers that very few other sports can deliver in one night.

"This fight will gross over $200 million when you take into account all of the revenues. Besides pay-per-view, there's the gate, the foreign television, the sponsors, the closed circuit, the merchandise. Many of those (revenue streams) also broke records. In this fight records were broken."

Mayweather was guaranteed $41.5 million with Alvarez's guarantee in the $12 million neighborhood, but both will earn substantially more based on their deals, especially Mayweather, who controlled the promotion and will keep the bulk of the profits.

"Floyd has a chance to make 100 million in this fight," Ellerbe said. "Floyd Mayweather been saying it over and over for years – he's most dominant athlete in all of sports and he's getting paid accordingly."

According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the sellout crowd of 16,146 generated an all-time record gate of $20,003,150, topping the $18,419,200 generated by Mayweather-De La Hoya. Mayweather-Alvarez would fall second behind the inflation-adjusted gate of $20.7 million in ticket sales sold for Mayweather-De La Hoya.

Mayweather-Alvarez also set a Las Vegas closed-circuit record, selling out 26,163 tickets for a gross of $2,615,360. The fight was the second of the 30-month deal for up to six fights that Mayweather signed earlier this year with Showtime/CBS after leaving longtime broadcast partner HBO/Time Warner.

Mayweather, whose May fight with Robert Guerrero did not come close to matching expectations, plans to fight twice more again in 2014, beginning with a fight in May. No opponent has been determined.

"Records are here to be broken," Schaefer said. "People told me in 2007 with Mayweather-De La Hoya that it was impossible to break the Mike Tyson-Evander Holyfield pay-per-view record, that we were living in a different time. Well, you know what? We broke the record.

"This is not the end. Records will continue to be broken and as I am standing here we will break the records again. That's what motivates me – to get more and more people interested in boxing and if the best fight the best, you will see more records fall."

Showtime replays the bout, along with the junior welterweight championship fight co-feature between Danny Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, on Saturday night (9 ET/PT).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/09/19/floyd-mayweather-will-earn-more-than-80-million-for-record-breaking-fight/

Showtime Networks announced Thursday that Saturday’s fight between Floyd Mayweather and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, billed as “The One,” generated a record $150 million in pay-per-view revenue on 2.2 million buys. It breaks the record of $136 million for Mayweather’s 2007 fight against Oscar De La Hoya, but falls short of the 2.5 buys for that bout. “It shows the health of boxing and that it can deliver at the highest level,” says Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy which promoted both Mayweather fights.

Showtime, owned by CBS CBS +0.44%, is still counting PPV receipts from distributors and says “The One” has a shot at catching the 2007 De La Hoya fight in terms of total buys. The initial report had the 2007 fight at 2.15 million buys, but the total has grown over the years as more distributors reported sales of the event. Schaefer says money was still coming in last year for the 2007 fight. “It is the gift that keeps on giving,” he says.

Mayweather received a record guaranteed purse of $41.5 million purse for the fight, and as co-promoter with Golden Boy, he will also reap the spoils of the PPV haul. Mayweather is set to earn more than $80 million from the fight based on the current PPV estimates, and his final take could approach $100 million if the ultimate PPV tally exceeds 2.5 million buys. The one night payday tops the previous record in boxing of $52 million that De La Hoya received for the 2007 Mayweather fight. The Canelo fight pushes Mayweather’s career earnings over the $350 million mark. And despite his free-spending ways and penchant for gambling, Mayweather showed that he has built up a sizable next egg in a recent ESPN The Magazine story when he displayed his $123 million balance on a bank receipt.

“This is everything we expected when Floyd made the move to CBS and Showtime. The best working with the best and record-breaking results,” says Leonard Ellerbe, head of Mayweather Promotions.

Whether “The One” ultimately breaks the PPV buy record or not, it is a huge win for Showtime, which signed Mayweather to a blockbuster six-fight deal in February that will net the boxer more than $250 million. Showtime signed Mayweather to raise the profile of the network and help close the subscription gap with HBO. Mayweather’s first bout under the contract against Roberto Guerrero in May drew a disappointing PPV audience that Showtime announced was one million buys. But the Canelo fight generated an unprecedented amount of coverage and was breaking records long before the pay-per-view total was counted.

“The One” set a record for largest gate for a boxing match at $20 million with the MGM Grand Arena selling out in less than 24 hours. It was also the largest closed circuit viewing audience for a bout with more than 26,000 tickets sold in Las Veagas at $100 a pop and more than 500 movie theaters showing the fight. Merchandise and sponsorships also hit record levels. Schaefer says the fight will exceed $200 million in total revenue when all revenue streams are counted.

Speculation is swirling on Mayweather’s next opponent with Danny Garcia, Amir Khan and Adrian Broner the popular names. And then there is the ever elusive possibility of Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao finally squaring off. Floyd is expected to be back in the ring in May for the third bout of his six-fight Showtime deal. Ellerbe says they don’t know what is going to happen next and adds, “Floyd is going to take some time off and take a much deserved vacation.”

He can certainly afford it.