You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is acceptable after 19 games of our PL season?

Code

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Is the answer Lucas?

Depends what the question is, mate. If the question is 'who do we really need back in the midfield?', then yes. However, if it's 'what's the surname of the MP for Brighton Pavillion?', then, well, yes again.

Why halfway through the season? After we hit 19 matches, what happens if we've reached the 'acceptable' (whatever that is) points tally and we're still mid-table?

Because its halfway through the season, the turn of the year, Hodgson got sacked after reaching only 25 points while getting knocked out of the League Cup and winning our Europa League group.

Personally I think around 34 points is the least we should expect in a normal season because that would see us being halway to 68p which is enough to secure 4th.

I cant see ut getting even close to that, but I said 27 points because anything worse than that is shite even from a novice like Rodgers.

I think I made a post earlier in the season where I set a miminum target after 10 games and I think we are way below that at the moment, cant find the post though.

We've been lacking a clear strategy and philosophy to our play for at least 15 years (even under Rafa we had clear issues attacking-wise), so I'm more than happy to take two steps backwards to instill that. Whether that means we end up 8th or 10th this year doesn't really matter to me, as long as I see a pattern of play developing that will likely mean better results in the coming seasons. So far so good imo, there are clearly issues needing to be resolved regarding personnel and adjustments having to be made in terms of movement, risks being taken etc, but overall I think the season has started about the way I expected it too. I thought we would have about 5-6 points more, but the performances haven't been rewarded accordingly.

PS! If Kenny had kept with the style and personnel that got him those results in his first few months back he would still be here. Neither Rodgers noor the owners forced him to start being more cautious and throw money down the toilet.

Because its halfway through the season, the turn of the year, Hodgson got sacked after reaching only 25 points while getting knocked out of the League Cup and winning our Europa League group.

Personally I think around 34 points is the least we should expect in a normal season because that would see us being halway to 68p which is enough to secure 4th.

I cant see ut getting even close to that, but I said 27 points because anything worse than that is shite even from a novice like Rodgers.

I think I made a post earlier in the season where I set a miminum target after 10 games and I think we are way below that at the moment, cant find the post though.

We won't finish 4th this season. We haven't in the past 3 seasons. Rodgers squad is ludicrously thin right now. They've shown promise but little cutting edge. He deserves time to build a squad and buy some attacking players. So far he has bought 1 who got injured after a few games and since then he has been relying on kids and shit left over from previous regimes to score goals. In the league i'd say we've also been worthy of more points than we've accrued. Everton away should obviously have been 2 more on the board and the only 2 games I think we've been second best in are the Arsenal and Chelsea matches. He seems certain he will be able to add some goal scorers in January and if he does then we should see a lot of progress in the second half of the season.

Much as everyone loves Kenny and as shitty as it was to see him go the way he did, the team dropped off alarmingly in the second half of last season in the league. I'd say our performance levels have improved in the Premier League since then even if we haven't added a killer instinct to turn draws into wins. We're nowhere near United, Chelsea and City these days and Spurs, Arsenal and probably even Newcastle and Everton are stronger than us right now. We're not going to spend a stupid amount of money to catapult us back up to where we were for most of Benitez's time here unfortunately, so it's all about steady progress. It'll be frustrating and we'll have some shit days along the way, but if Rodgers can add to the squad with some quality players and his system kicks us on then things will start to look a lot better. It'll take time though, and in this day and age people want results yesterday, as your expectations of garnering enough points to secure Champions League football when we have 1 striker and 2 teenagers as our forwards, proves.

Rodgers has a plan, that's why he was brought here. I think the least we can do is give him a chance to properly implement it before we start talking about bringing in another new manager who will only have the same problems.

I believe in what Rodgers is doing, which isn't a quick fix and has been done to death about 50,000 times, much harder with very little strikepower. So, provided the team isn't in the relegation zone, acceptable is, for me, where we will be after 19 games.....

We've been lacking a clear strategy and philosophy to our play for at least 15 years (even under Rafa we had clear issues attacking-wise), so I'm more than happy to take two steps backwards to instill that. Whether that means we end up 8th or 10th this year doesn't really matter to me, as long as I see a pattern of play developing that will likely mean better results in the coming seasons. So far so good imo, there are clearly issues needing to be resolved regarding personnel and adjustments having to be made in terms of movement, risks being taken etc, but overall I think the season has started about the way I expected it too. I thought we would have about 5-6 points more, but the performances haven't been rewarded accordingly.

PS! If Kenny had kept with the style and personnel that got him those results in his first few months back he would still be here. Neither Rodgers noor the owners forced him to start being more cautious and throw money down the toilet.

Or what he said.

For Rodgers strategy or so called plan to make any sense major changes needs to be implemented in the game, getting rid of the goals on both sides of the pitch would be a huge step forward for him.

Oh and Kev, I'd rather take Rafa than Rodgers, at least he understands the basics of the game, thats not saying either are the answer to any question I'd like to ask though.

Football is a simple game, you need to score more goals than the opponents, everything else is of no real interest to me as long as we are winning.

For Rodgers strategy or so called plan to make any sense major changes needs to be implemented in the game, getting rid of the goals on both sides of the pitch would be a huge step forward for him.

Pointless even debating you on anything. Concerns with Rodgers are understandable, but ridiculing the fact that he wants us to play possession based football which, when implemented correctly, is the most effective way of winning games, just shows how futile engaging you is. You've made up your mind, so regardless of whether he's here for the next 10 years winning trophies left, right and centre, you will be spamming these boards continuously about how shit is just like you did (and still do) with Benitez.

I don't know why you don't just sack off supporting Liverpool and follow a manager like Big Sam instead. He'd be right up your street. He loves stats, he knows how few passes it takes to score, he's not interested in entertaining football and he gets decent results. Probably hates this tiki-taka/possession fad as well.

in answer to the question

acceptable after 19 games in a keep the manager in his job kinda way, about 9 points above the bottom 3

acceptable in an "id take it now if i was offered it" way id say 15 points from our next 8 in the league.

looking thru the fixtures i have us getting 12, hope we do better, i came to this conclusion because im thinking

wigan (h) win

swansea (a) draw

spurs (a) loss

southampton (h) win

west ham (a) draw

villa(h) win

fulham (h) draw

stoke(a) loss

Oh and Kev, I'd rather take Rafa than Rodgers, at least he understands the basics of the game, thats not saying either are the answer to any question I'd like to ask though.

Football is a simple game, you need to score more goals than the opponents, everything else is of no real interest to me as long as we are winning.

Which is why I also predict you'll be actively campaigning for Rafa's removal within 6 months of his appointment.

Pointless even debating you on anything. Concerns with Rodgers are understandable, but ridiculing the fact that he wants us to play possession based football which, when implemented correctly, is the most effective way of winning games, just shows how futile engaging you is. You've made up your mind, so regardless of whether he's here for the next 10 years winning trophies left, right and centre, you will be spamming these boards continuously about how shit is just like you did (and still do) with Benitez.

I don't know why you don't just sack off supporting Liverpool and follow a manager like Big Sam instead. He'd be right up your street. He loves stats, he knows how few passes it takes to score, he's not interested in entertaining football and he gets decent results. Probably hates this tiki-taka/possession fad as well.

But the thing is that could not be further from the truth if you tried, posession based football is the least effective way of playing football and there is no way around it.

People might look at Barca as some kind of role model but its nothing like Rodgers set up, nothing at all and people also seem to forget Barca have messi. the best footballer ever to grace this planet, take him out and see how effective they are.

Keeping posession in your own half when trying to win the game is laughable and we will not even get close to anything unless Rodgers gets away from this ridiculous idea he has implented at a lower mid table team, it did not really work out well there and it does not work out really well here either, but for some funny reason people think its the way forward.

Ridiculous and it show a complete lack of basic football understanding.

• Upvote 1

How many more times are you going to repeat this total bollocks?

Until we stop passing the ball for the passings sake and actually are trying to look for options going forward and have the courage to take those opportunities when they rise.