You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everyone I have heard expertly commenting on this game at the ground is assuming that the weather will play a part.

I'm sure the captains are aware of it and are assuming weather intervention, rather than not.

McCullum is a noted risk taker.  I think it was an extremely conservative declaration, for him.

But what is the point in taking the risk of losing here? NZ have pretty much batted England out of the game and have 5 sessions in which to bowl them out. Why would McCullum even give them a sniff?

McCullum is a noted risk taker.  I think it was an extremely conservative declaration, for him.

It didn't use up much time though, did it?

Last night I expected him to declare just before lunch today, and he actually declared slightly earlier than that. They just went at eight an over (or whatever it was) this morning.

I honestly can't see it making the blindest bit of difference. They could have declared last night, or not even bothered at all (they'd have been all out within five overs the way they were batting).

But what is the point in taking the risk of losing here? NZ have pretty much batted England out of the game and have 5 sessions in which to bowl them out. Why would McCullum even give them a sniff?

Because the way he captains and his teams play to win, from the off, often gives teams a sniff.

He'd just as soon lose as draw, I think, if it meant having more of a chance to win.  He doesn't seem to me to be the type to fuss about the difference between a 0-1 or 0-2 loss.

It just seems uncharacteristic, aside from the rights or wrongs of it.

It didn't use up much time though, did it?

Last night I expected him to declare just before lunch today, and he actually declared slightly earlier than that. They just went at eight an over (or whatever it was) this morning.

I honestly can't see it making the blindest bit of difference. They could have declared last night, or not even bothered at all (they'd have been all out within five overs the way they were batting).

I hope it doesn't make any difference either.

NZ deserve to win, and have been the better side over the two games.

Michael Holding was specifically citing the potential weather and questioning their captain on air yesterday morning.

I thought he had a good point.

It will only matter if they have England 8 or 9 down at the end, so yes it's a fine line and I'm nit-picking. 

By the way, I think McCullum is terrific for the game.

Guest Pistonbroke

2 down already, Lyth out for 24 and Ballance out cheaply, he and Bell are a major worry at the top of the order. Bell is just out of nick but Ballance is not a number 3, he looked comfortable further down the order but lost at no 3.

Bell just out now for fucking 1 to a stupid shot, gifted his wicket yet again. England 62/3 and staring at a huge defeat. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Root out for a duck, 62/4. Unbelievable catch at short leg from Latham with a touch of luck as it just smashed into his cheast and he grasped it. We are fucked big style here.