You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

People lying in football is nothing new and often acceptable as a means to an end.

Managers handling things badly in football is nothing new. Even Fergie and (wash my mouth with soap and water) Kenny cock up at times... so no big deal there either.

Players coming and going is also nothing new.

So, water under the bridge indeed as someone on here said.

Having said that, if that bridge were to be extended over the Bay of Biscay, the English and Bristol Channels and the Mersey, I'd be more than happy to see Alonso patrolling the middle of Anfield again.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after two years and yet another 'Why I left' article, what conclusions have we reached?

Did Rafa handle the summer of 2008 badly? Yes in fairness, but so what? Any manager is entitled to sell on any of their players to try and improve the squad. Alonso hadn't been great for the previous 12 months and it was pretty clear Rafa was trying to change the structure of the side.

Does Alonso have a right to have his nose put out of joint a bit? Yes. Is he overplaying the driven out routine? Definitely. It's hardly uncommon for players to go in and out of favour, often sometimes to the point of leaving only to find form and re-establish themselves.

Personally I've come to the conclusion with Xabi that he clearly has a lot of affection for us, he turns up at matches routinely and often refers to us and because of this feels he needs to provide an excuse to vindicate himself with the supporters.

No need, he gave us a great 5 years, he's not a local lad so we can't always have expectations that players from foreign countries aren't going to want to move on or return home after a period of time. The lure of Real Madrid is understandable, he has a young family so will have wanted to return to Spain to raise them, had his nose put of out joint a bit by Rafa and I'm quite sure the massive pay day and lower tax were influences as well. That's fine with me.

Ultimately he left in the right way, he waited till the end of the season, gave us plenty of notice and we made a nice profit. He didn't drop a transfer demand on us with only a couple of days of the transfer window left, he didn't try and run his contract down or refuse to play for us.

Exactly, agree 100%

There is no need to re-run the "whose fault it was " arguments again because there isn't a definitive answer.

Guest ShoePiss
Is the black pudding picture coming soon? I don't mean to hassle anyone but it's getting late and I was looking forward to it. Thanks in advance. (p.s much prefer a ring to a slice...ta)

But look closely at that scotch egg, it's a work of art.

Is the black pudding picture coming soon? I don't mean to hassle anyone but it's getting late and I was looking forward to it. Thanks in advance. (p.s much prefer a ring to a slice...ta)

I can probably rustle up a white pudding jpeg from my files, if that's any help?

Guest ShoePiss
I was going to post a picture of White pudding, as it is clearly superior to black pudding, but the picture I found made it look like a white turd.

I wondered when the Irish would show up!

Guest ShoePiss
The washing is in the washing machine and I take full credit for all the mentions of Unicorns from my post on the MF You bunch of copying bastards.

......And I'm done.

Did I miss something here?

SexyUnicornGuy.jpg

I was going to post a picture of White pudding, as it is clearly superior to black pudding, but the picture I found made it look like a white turd.

Ah, beat me to the white pudding reference, Robbie. And like all good Dublin men, you are so right about "white" superiority.

I think he's a bit of a twat the way he keeps going on about the hows and whys he left. The fact is, he was never going to turn down Madrid and the money they were offering. Hiding behind Rafa wanting to sell him the season prior is just a bit of a shit thing to do really. No one would think any less of him if he just told the truth.

The fact no one came in for him when he was going for a song I think tells us enough about his own form that season, and he should just accept that Rafa was well within his right to think about replacing him at the time.

Xabi leaving was 100% his own doing. That's a fact. Close the thread.

He didn't want to stay if Rafa was the manager. That's a fact. Close the thread.

But look closely at that scotch egg, it's a work of art.

Perhaps, but the scotch egg is intrinsically inferior to the black pudding and, further, can't effectively replace it any system ( scotch egg on a breakfast - no. scotch egg with a scallop - no). You might say it is the Barry to the Alonso, if you were so minded.

There is a major difference this time because Xabi has nailed a lot of Rafaites excuses and clearly stated he wouldnt have been happy to stay under Rafa for another season.

These posters were giving people of the view that happened to be the truth shit loads of shit but when confronted with the truth just cant bear to be proved wrong and imediately head for the La La La La I am not listening headphones.

Hence why this thread is completely different to the ones that went before

I think most people understand the reason, and some will never want to accept it, but it is water under the bridge Nick. Forget the reason he left, and accept the fact that he is a classy player and a classy guy.

Xabi leaving was 100% his own doing. That's a fact. Close the thread.

He didn't want to stay if Rafa was the manager. That's a fact. Close the thread.

Neither are true but there you go.

Anyway, back to a more important issue, does anyone not know that White Pudding is better than Black Pudding?

Perhaps, but the scotch egg is intrinsically inferior to the black pudding and, further, can't effectively replace it any system ( scotch egg on a breakfast - no. scotch egg with a scallop - no). You might say it is the Barry to the Alonso, if you were so minded.

woosh.jpg

Guest ShoePiss

But it's a scotch egg made with black pudding, you have to admire the genius.

Anyway, here

black_pudding.jpg

The trained eye will immediately identify this as Scottish Blackpudding. Note the smaller flecks of fat rather than the chunky size of the equally good woolyback made stuff.