You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There's only one Bobby Petta

WrongIslander

Ditto Malouda. We missed out on him and signed Riera instead, and people on here were saying we'd dodged a bullet (!)

Wasn't it Babel we got instead of Malouda?! Riera came later I think.

some Championship Manager 97 98 greats (used to play nearly every night after school so i can remember really well)

Ivan de la Pena - Barcelona

Alfonso - Betis

Ibrahima Bakayoko - some french team

Martin Djetou - Monaco

Florian Maurice - Paris SG

Sonny Anderson - Barcelona

Think it was Montpellier, I remember because of CM 97/98 too.. thankfully was shit when he went to Blue Shite.

some Championship Manager 97 98 greats (used to play nearly every night after school so i can remember really well)

Alfonso - Betis

Martin Djetou - Monaco

Great list. And a real trip down memory lane.

Jose Antonio Reyes - Sevilla to Arsenal.

Guest PurpleNose

Alfonso - Betis

Martin Djetou - Monaco

Harsh.

Harsh.

It's a fair point on De La Pena, because they guy wasn't exactly rubbish. He's actually won things at most of the clubs he's played for. But I remember the hype surrounding the guy, even from Barcelona fans I knew in the UK. I think he was initially seen as the long term replacement for Josep Guardiola in the Barca midfield. From the early promise he showed and what was expected of him, while playing at the highest level and having a very good career; he ultimately disappointed. But I guess that's relative though.

Other way:

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Heerenveen to Newcastle United (sorry Kenny!) having also been selected as Best Dutch Football Talent of 1996. He actually went on to have a great career, littered with trophies; including winning Serie A and CL with AC Milan, although he wasn't a regular starter for them for a sustained period. He was actually a talented striker, but a disastrous signing for Newcastle.

Other way:

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Heerenveen to Newcastle United (sorry Kenny!) having also been selected as Best Dutch Football Talent of 1996. He actually went on to have a great career, littered with trophies; including winning Serie A and CL with AC Milan, although he wasn't a regular starter for them for a sustained period. He was actually a talented striker, but a disastrous signing for Newcastle.

I'll always remember him for scoring a pen as the ambulance went past behind the goal in Istanbul.

Josemi looked the bollocks at first, then he just looked bollocks.

Denilson has to be mentioned. Did Betis ever really recover?

R Betis are apparently the 10th most successful club in Spain. Got relegated in 2009 and remain in the 2nd tier.

The policy of breaking the world record on Denilson and expecting one player to be the catalyst for them was just laughable. May be they expected Denilson to do for them what Cantona did for Man U...Someone should've told them that they had 10 more quality players though.

This was during a period when continental clubs, not just the big ones, were going crazy with money.