You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irish General Election....

RobbieOR

it all kicked off on vincent browne tonight great nights entertainment , conor lenihans veins were bursting he was getting that much abuse thrown at him.

conor lenihan was just out doing his brothers dirty work. great to watch though.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem SF have,and are trying to move past (but it takes time) is they need to drop the old guard and embrace the excellent youth they have.SF have some very good results in local government,and some good really councillers,but they also have the likes of Ferris that link back to the old guard and allows the opposition to attack them .

SF will increase their seats,at least 18-25 from what the polls show,and some key areas like Cork North Central could be handed to them on a plate due to resignations etc.

IF labour get the seats they expect (35) then it is feasible,if unlikely that they will jump in with SF .Problem is Labour have Gilmour and fuck all else.FF getting their Corporate Donations bill through will hammer their finances though,the Unions won't be able to fund them anymore.

Couldn't agree with you more. One more generation needs to go from SF and then they have a very good chance of been accepted for their politics as opposed to the Irish listening to the British press tell us all that everyone in SF is a terrorist and shouldn't be listened to.

Anyone who thinks sinn fein have removed the violent murky undercurrent from their bowels are gravely mistaken. This is a party which has brilliantly played the public relations game but are still intrinsically linked to violence, drug dealing, racketeering and the ominent rise of the terrorist threat which is about to erupt across the north.

And this is why it will be so difficult to banish the past. People will keep saying lines like the above as much as they can. Hearsay and conjecture will be constant and treated as fact as it will be repeated ad finitum by disaffected unionists who never want to see SF been taken as a legitimate party. And if something is said enough times then it gets into the public mind. Any old thug who once had a connection to Republicanism will be used as a weapon to beat SF. While SF are on the periphery then we can’t move on.

Having said all that, I still won’t be voting for them this time around, mainly for the reasons Gav gives above. They need to get rid of the old cronies and allow the new breed to come through. It wont be long now until the vast majority of Sin Fein TDs will be people that joined the party after the troubles and so it will be harder and harder for the naysayers to paint them all as “terrorists”. There is nothing wrong with being a Republican if you want your views to be brought to fruition through dialogue as opposed to with a gun.

Hearsay and conjecture will always be constant. It's human nature. Your own conjecture shows that. And as for me being a disaffected unionist? Where do you get that from? I will not be voting sinn fein now or for the immediate future.

Sorry, I wasn't calling you a disaffected unionist (I actually laughed out loud at that – I bet you’ve never been called that before!). I was saying that disaffected unionists ensure that the idea that the entire SF party is just full of thugs and terrorists stays in the public domain. You look at how Martin McGuinness is understandably not trusted and always referred to as the former terrorist as he is for the Nationalist side, whereas David Ervine was accepted with little or no issue on the Unionist side and was never hammered with the terrorist stick anywhere near as much as the people on the other side. British press and opinion still decides Irish opinion in a lot of ways and unwittingly to the vast majority of Irish people. Britain is our neighbour and very important to us, but we need to form our own opinions too and not let Sky or the BBC news dictate it to us.

Hearsay and conjecture will always be constant. It's human nature. Your own conjecture shows that. And as for me being a disaffected unionist? Where do you get that from? I will not be voting sinn fein now or for the immediate future.

All it takes is a generation or two Ron...how many people these days refuse to vote FF because of their terrorism links ?? Not too long ago that one of our leaders was gun running.

I have friends that have been elected as councillers in non-SF areas and believe me ,normal lads who wanted to get into politics but were opposed to the FF/FG status quo ,or to Labour and their Union paymasters,and their reputation at local level is very good and growing.

As I implied earlier,and Johnny has also mentioned,once the Ferris's are gone,they will be packed full of young,hungry and intelligent young people,with modern thinking and attitudes who will do very very well...problem is that it'll take at least another generation to lose the Terrorist jibes.I'll still expect big gains in seats this time round

the ominent rise of the terrorist threat which is about to erupt across the north.

I presume this is a typo and should have read 'imminent', but I quite like the idea that it's (subconciously) been combined with 'ominous' to create a whole new word to define something getting quite scary quite soon.

All it takes is a generation or two Ron

As I implied earlier,and Johnny has also mentioned,once the Ferris's are gone,they will be packed full of young,hungry and intelligent young people,with modern thinking and attitudes who will do very very well...problem is that it'll take at least another generation to lose the Terrorist jibes.I'll still expect big gains in seats this time round

And one of them seats will probably be Gerry Adams. He could be there for up to 20 years. It'll be at least another 20 after that, before SF lose the jibes. They certainly spread themselves around though, as I don't know of any other party that has parliamentary seats in 3 jurisdictions.

What a shambles by the FF. Michael Martin leadership challenge, lose it. Then the shambles with 5 other ministers stepping down the same evening next morning. Then it emerges this was orchestrated by Cowen weeks ago, then they try and appoint new Cowen supporters to the 6 ministerial spots so they can get ministers pensions by being appointed for fifty-someting days, then the greens atleast gets a little bit of bite and says this can't happen and then all the backbenchers supporting Cowen in the leadership election starts to become disgruntled and now wants to change their votes and Cowen now stepping down as FF Leader but stay on as Taoiseach. I hope they get totally wiped out the mongs.

Cowen to step down as leader of Fianna Fáil | Evening Echo

Cowen to step down as leader of Fianna Fáil

1/22/2011 - 2:05:14 PM

Brian Cowen has confirmed that he is resigning as leader of Fianna Fáil, but will stay on as Taoiseach until the General Election.

Beginning his address in Irish, Brian Cowen said it had been a "personal honour to serve as Taoiseach" and that he had an "abiding commitment to and respect for the Fianna Fáil party".

"I want the party to be in the best possible position" going into the Election, he said.

"The focus should be on what policies the political parties are offering, rather than the narrow focus" on personalities, he added.

Bearing the events of the last week in mind, he said he had decided, after consultation with his family, to step down as Fianna Fáil leader.

What a shambles by the FF. Michael Martin leadership challenge, lose it. Then the shambles with 5 other ministers stepping down the same evening next morning. Then it emerges this was orchestrated by Cowen weeks ago, then they try and appoint new Cowen supporters to the 6 ministerial spots so they can get ministers pensions by being appointed for fifty-someting days, then the greens atleast gets a little bit of bite and says this can't happen and then all the backbenchers supporting Cowen in the leadership election starts to become disgruntled and now wants to change their votes and Cowen now stepping down as FF Leader but stay on as Taoiseach. I hope they get totally wiped out the mongs.

Cowen to step down as leader of Fianna Fáil | Evening Echo

So all those resignations were handed in to enable some party backbenchers get cushy pensions for life?

If that's true, he should honestly be dragged out of office, Tunisian style, and have to flee to Arabia.

he deserved everything he got if you ask me , i had dealings with him before he's a snake.

I always thought he was a flute

He's one of my local td's and I've never voted the fucker, I'm just hoping either him it that other gobshite Charlie Oconnor knock on my door in the coming weeks, because I'll do a Rubberbandits, by "looking them fuckers up and down and give them one of these" as in the fingers!

So all those resignations were handed in to enable some party backbenchers get cushy pensions for life?

If that's true, he should honestly be dragged out of office, Tunisian style, and have to flee to Arabia.

A week of high drama: Timeline | Evening Echo

Here is a timeline charting one of the most epic weeks in Irish politics – a failed leadership bid, six ministerial resignations, a botched Cabinet reshuffle and threats to pull down the coalition Government.

Thursday January 13

- Mr Cowen privately lines up a Cabinet reshuffle but is sidetracked when speculation mounts over a leadership heave.

Wednesday January 19

- Mr Gormley and his colleagues Eamon Ryan and Dan Boyle hold talks with the Taoiseach over the timing of an election. The Greens claim they came away thinking that a reshuffle and new Cabinet appointments are not on the table. Fianna Fáil TDs dispute that.

- Mary Harney announces her resignation at 9pm. Mr Gormley knows nothing about it until his wife Penny Stuart tells him after watching the news.

- Three other ministers follow her out of the door at 11pm – Dermot Ahern, Noel Dempsey and Tony Killeen. This time Mr Gormley hears about it on RTE’s news bulletin the following morning.

Thursday January 20

0700: Mr Gormley rings Mr Cowen after 7am and says it is a serious matter and calls for a meeting.

0830: The two sides come together in the first of a series of meetings to discuss the affair. The Greens are adamant they warned they would not support any new appointments.

0930: Batt O’Keeffe, “best friend” of the Taoiseach, becomes the fifth Cabinet casualty when his resignation is leaked.

1100: The Dáil is suspended amid damning accusations that Mr Cowen is pulling a political stunt in filling Cabinet posts with election candidates.

There is more in the timeline from the link above, but he should be shot, that much is true.

They wouldn't have served long enough to qualify for a ministerial pension. The idea was to make those catapulted in to the ministerial jobs more high-profile (driving around in their Minister's Merc) in their constituencies to increase votes.

He should still still be dragged out Tunisian-style or preferably Ceaucescu-style of course

So now the Greens has withdrawn from the government also. Guess this will pull the election forward.

Greens pull out of Government | Evening Echo

Greens pull out of Government

1/23/2011 - 3:44:41 PM

The Green Party are to pull out of Government, party leader John Gormley has announced.

"Our patience has reached an end…We have decided we can no longer continue in Government," he said.

More to follow…

Edited by DJLJ

So now the Greens has withdrawn from the government also. Guess this will pull the election forward.

Greens pull out of Government | Evening Echo

Loada shite,bollocksless Greens should've done this 12 months ago,pointless now,just gives them the chance to clim they crashed the government during canvassing and gives Gormless one last headline..can't wait for these cunts to knock on my door ,I'll rip the head of them as well along with their puppetmasters..

Oh by the way ,The Behan thing collapsed,Hartlepool wanted a fee.Looks like he's going to Jockoland now

Loada shite,bollocksless Greens should've done this 12 months ago,pointless now,just gives them the chance to clim they crashed the government during canvassing and gives Gormless one last headline..can't wait for these cunts to knock on my door ,I'll rip the head of them as well along with their puppetmasters..

Oh by the way ,The Behan thing collapsed,Hartlepool wanted a fee.Looks like he's going to Jockoland now

Thanks for the info Gav.

we must be a laughing stock all over the world now.

No, we need the finance bill passed for "international credibility". We may not have credibility outside FF, we may not have a government or a cabinet, and the bill may already be implemented, but the Minister that Can't Count has now told us that one bill is delaying the election.

You have to laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Finance Bill cleared, Ireland's Parliament term closes 15 months early today, as 10% of the sitting Deputies plan to "retire", with the current and previous PM amongst them. With half a cabinet, a single party government "running" the place, in deep recession with unemployment rampant, the country swimming in an Atlantic Ocean of personal and foreign debt, a change of government certain and it's economy run by the USA, 14 years of continous Fianna Fail rule (effectively) comes to an end today, officially on 9 March. The new government has an enormous task setting the country on the long road to recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

3 days to Polling, and the only question remaining is whether the long-sufffering government opponents Fine Gael will get an overall majority in Parliament or not. No Irish government has won an overall majority since the late Seventies, and FG haven't won an Irish general election in almost 30 years. With 83 seats required for one-party rule, current polls indicate they will fall just short. With the final surge ongoing however, chances of it happening are 50/50, results are announced from Saturday lunchtime GMT.