You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Darby & Ince

Wor Horse

Darby has to realise he won't make it now, he is 22 and gets no way near the first team, hopefully this will be a shop window for him. As for Tom Ince, hopefully this will be a good move for him and will toughen him up, there is no doubting the lads ability, but looks light weight at the moment.

Why's that then?

okay so say your a Notts County player and first player the manager brings in is his son and puts him straight in the team your going to think it stinks of favouritism and if it doesn't work well he'll lose the respect of the players immediately

hopefully it will work out well for all parties however

okay so say your a Notts County player and first player the manager brings in is his son and puts him straight in the team your going to think it stinks of favouritism and if it doesn't work well he'll lose the respect of the players immediately

Harry and Jamie at Bournemouth springs to mind

Most young unestabilshed players that go on loan to the lower leagues don't automatically start every game, he's even said he's bringing him in because he's a good footballer not because he's his lad.

He's only just 18, I doubt he'll start many games ahead of Westcarr, Hughes or Rodgers. He'll probably start most matches off the bench.

Sam Sodje was his first signing as well, by the way.

I remember when Rosinior brought his son to Torquay he boosted the side and helped lead the team to promotion (Leroy even subbed off established club legend Kevin Hill on the 22nd minute once to bring on his son) didn't do any harm. I don't imagine the guvnor is likely to go soft on him.

Shame about Darbs, I don't think he got a single chance on the right this year and his form for the ressies bottomed out as well. I think he's struggling with the disappointment at what's been built up as the make-or-break year. Hopefully Ince sr can help him, he's better than Lge 1.

Oh and they're playing Exeter on the 13th at St James' I'm fucking there (probably).

Think this is a very good move for him despite some saying it will cause friction, for me good players like to play with good players and so as long as he doesn't get any favourable treatment and players can see he's a good player then by and large they'll accept it. Not saying it will be easy for Tom but there are challenges to be overcome. Paul seems to take a lot of interest in his career so if anyone will know how to deploy him then it would be him. So long as he doesn't be a cunt about it like. Tom should get every chance which you can't say if he'd gone to another club, I hope he gets some games but with his dar in charge it's clear he will. If theres any animosity cos he's the managers son he better get used to it and use it to make him a better player as anywhere he goes he's bound to get looked at like he wouldn't have made it had he been any other name cos his dad is Paul Ince etc, etc.

Good move for me.

Feel (semi) sorry for Darby with the way he's been treated over the past couple of seasons; seems as though he's basically been kept around to keep us up to quota. He should really have spent most of the last two or three years on loan at lower tier clubs rather than sitting in our ressies. I say 'semi' sorry because he's still a pro-footballer and maybe he wanted to hang around and try to push on.

Lad has a good attitude and was decent at Swindon according to reports. Showed massive bollocks to put his pen away in the play-offs last year and I hope he succeeds at Notts. I don't see him coming back here if I'm perfectly honest, given that we have Kelly, Carra and Johnson all in front of him as RB.

Nice for Ince to get a move out on loan and something I'm all in favour of. Playing competitive football is something that I think is hugely important to developing players as long as the gulf between ressie and first team football stays so massive.

I think Darby could have grown to be somewhere between Arbeloa and Finnan for us. He's dependable, he cares and he has a head on his shoulders that will lead him through most rough patches.

He had a few good games for us, yes he made a mistake against Fio, but the team was being pulled apart all over the shop it was harsh the way some wrote him off on that. People compare him to Kelly but forget that although Kelly is younger he had more pro experience this time last year. Hence he was more confident when given a chance. Mid way through last season Darby looked like he was finding his feet and put in a couple of very good performances for us. He'll be a good player. One for the 'it's a real shame it never happened here' column (like Warnock).

• 3 weeks later...

Ince played upfront alongside Westcarr today and was shocking. He doesn't have the strength to play up front and was constantly getting fouled. Darby had an okay game, he made a few mistakes and mis-controlled the ball once but he was confident going forward and stuck to the wing. He gave Ben Davies a lot of options out wide and while I don't think he is good enough for us he could make it in the Championship.

Gulacsi also played today and was the best of our loan players in this game. He pulled off some good saves and commanded his area well. His distribution was good as well.

• 3 weeks later...