You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's no 'leader' in the sense of Thatcher, Blair or, I dunno, Hitler, but he's gaining support. I think the rhetoric will come later.

It's hard to deny that he's a bit of a wet lettuce, but I think he's formulating a plan to win back power and offer something different. Whether that'll come off, I dunno.

He's no 'leader' in the sense of Thatcher, Blair or, I dunno, Hitler, but he's gaining support. I think the rhetoric will come later.

It's hard to deny that he's a bit of a wet lettuce, but I think he's formulating a plan to win back power and offer something different. Whether that'll come off, I dunno.

He's going to stick a pair of underpants on his head and two pencils up his nose and say 'wibble'.

I'm sorry NV, me and you often see eye to eye but Miliban is a prize bellend.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He's going to stick a pair of underpants on his head and two pencils up his nose and say 'wibble'.

Quality. :D

Why a bellend?

Quality. :D

Why a bellend?

Look at my post above yours. The roboband one. Each of those clips are individual clips from the same interview where he just repeated something he was told to say - word for word. This is not a man who is brimming with political and social insight, intelligence and passion.

His 'people' also insist he is filmed and photographed in front of family photos at all times. He's also come up with nothing policy-wise save for the odd bit of fly by night shite during a conference speech. Labour doesn't function as an opposition and that has to be down to its leader.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Look at my post above yours. The roboband one. Each of those clips are individual clips from the same interview where he just repeated something he was told to say - word for word. This is not a man who is brimming with political and social insight, intelligence and passion.

His 'people' also insist he is filmed and photographed in front of family photos at all times. He's also come up with nothing policy-wise save for the odd bit of fly by night shite during a conference speech. Labour doesn't function as an opposition and that has to be down to its leader.

I definitely see it differently. I think he is intelligent, I think he does have a something to offer policy-wise. Is it what I want? No. Is it the best out there... I think by some considerable distance.

Plus, they're only a year into rebuilding the party. Policy isn't supposed to be right up there at the moment. The main criticism I have is the lack of opposition.

I definitely see it differently. I think he is intelligent, I think he does have a something to offer policy-wise. Is it what I want? No. Is it the best out there... I think by some considerable distance.

Plus, they're only a year into rebuilding the party. Policy isn't supposed to be right up there at the moment. The main criticism I have is the lack of opposition.

I think he's intelligent in the academic sense but I dont think he comes across as passionate or in the way Blair did,as if he has a definite plan. He also comes across like a kid who was bullied at school and that doesnt fill anybody with confidence.

As for policy,the party should be in a position where they have a policy ready at the drop of a hat and not just hanging round until an election is announced.

I'd hate to have labour in the position the tories were and jumping on every policy bandwagon that cropped up and get elected simply because they weren't the current government.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But Blair was rhetoric personified. Is that the way we want to go? I mean, is that the way we want to go now? I don't. I want substance over style. I'm not saying he has loads of substance, but I'm not particularly interested in having a British Obama. I want somebody who can think. Who is smart enough to have a team around him to do the right thing. What we've got now is the opposite of that. We've got empty rhetoric backed up by ignorance and incompetence.

I agree, though, it does look like he has to bring everybody else coffee in the morning. You'll hear 'Ed, will you answer that fucking phone' from his secretary.

But Blair was rhetoric personified. Is that the way we want to go? I mean, is that the way we want to go now? I don't. I want substance over style. I'm not saying he has loads of substance, but I'm not particularly interested in having a British Obama. I want somebody who can think. Who is smart enough to have a team around him to do the right thing. What we've got now is the opposite of that. We've got empty rhetoric backed up by ignorance and incompetence.

I agree, though, it does look like he has to bring everybody else coffee in the morning. You'll hear 'Ed, will you answer that fucking phone' from his secretary.

I would prefer that the Blair way is never repeated but in the UK it seems that this is the only way to go,by attracting the lower middle classes and upper working classes who think they are better than the average working classes.

Genuine question; Who do you think out of the current crop is up to the task?

Vlad asked me on another thread and I said if Purnell hadn't shot himself in the foot he'd be the future of the Labour Party.

Labour, even in the face of widespread hostility towards the Con-Dems, is still not credible opposition, it's fucking farcical!

His 'people' also insist he is filmed and photographed in front of family photos at all times. He's also come up with nothing policy-wise save for the odd bit of fly by night shite during a conference speech.

this is my major issue with Miliband, he obviously doesn't have the physical or mental characteristics of a typical leader, but he could just about do the job required if it wasn't that the same caste of advisors (and lobbyists probably) that led Labour into the realms of corporatism are still floating around, and there who he goes to for his soundbites. the ones who tell him in his conference speech to equate 'the vested interests' of banks and energy companies with the 'vested interests' of public sector workers. the ones who say Labour can't win an election on Labour issues.

Yeah he has a strategy to win the election, and it involves a lot of scorched earth, but talking presently by leadership, i'm looking for someone to stop behaving like a droid beholden to polling strategists, a lot of these issues are very finely poised yes, but in no way ingrained, the strike debate has been turned into a public sector worker vs private sector worker debate, largely because Ed Milibands advisors are telling him to stay out of the debate, never mind takes sides - Cameron is setting a 'strike trap!' . there's space to lead on this and win.

(he can't go so far as just as opposing war is opposing state power, supporting strike action is supporting action against state power)

the example of Harold Wilson before the 74 election, faced a similar situation - the public didn't really understand industrial action then either - he supported the strikers demands but didn't openly support strike action, but he sidestepped that potential problem and changed the narrative- painted the Tory government as extremists, highlighted their intransigence in negotiations, targetted their economic policies - made them the bad guys - that can all be done now.

Heres Purnell's resignation speech and its absolutely spot on. I was saying similar things myself at the time but it seemed that nobody in the party hierarchy was brave enough to do anything about it.

Dear Gordon,

We both love the Labour Party. I have worked for it for 20 years and you for far longer. We know we owe it everything and it owes us nothing. I owe it to our party to say what I believe no matter how hard that may be. I now believe your continued leadership makes a Conservative victory more, not less likely.

That would be disastrous for our country. This moment calls for stronger regulation, an active state, better public services, an open democracy.

It calls for a government that measures itself by how it treats the poorest in society. Those are our values, not David Cameron's.

We therefore owe it to our country to give it a real choice. We need to show that we are prepared to fight to be a credible government and have the courage to offer an alternative future.

I am therefore calling on you to stand aside to give our party a fighting chance of winning. As such I am resigning from government. The party was here long before us, and we want it to be here long after we have gone. We must do the right thing by it.

I am not seeking the leadership, nor acting with anyone else. My actions are my own considered view, nothing more.

If the consensus is that you should continue, then I will support the government loyally from the backbenches. But I do believe that this question now needs to be put.

Thank you for giving me the privilege of serving.

Yours,

Rt Hon James Purnell MP

Purnell is political class through and through like the others, fucking Oxbridge PPE and never had a proper job. Until we get away from these people nothing will change. Oxbridge educated, no real world experience of work or hardship, benefits or just general fucking life at all. It's like being ruled by someone who grew up in a lighthouse.

Yours,

Rt Hon James Purnell MP

Maybe it's revisionism, but I thought at the time of the mooted coup that this was Labour trying to regain the left and move away from centrist policies and finally realising the massive potential for reform it had. With the feeling towards the Tories going down faster than a fat lass with a promise of cream cakes and the Liberals in transition Labour had the consensus to push proper reforms through and blew it massively!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Genuine question; Who do you think out of the current crop is up to the task?

Forgive me for answering your question with a question, but what's the task? I think Miliband can win the next election. I don't really see anybody from any party who wants the things I want, or has the talent to deliver them. So if the task is the sort of reform I'd like to see, then nobody I know of. I think that'd have to come by way of revolution and lots of luck.

Purnell is political class through and through like the others, fucking Oxbridge PPE and never had a proper job. Until we get away from these people nothing will change. Oxbridge educated, no real world experience of work or hardship, benefits or just general fucking life at all. It's like being ruled by someone who grew up in a lighthouse.

Unfortunately all too true.

But would you prefer somebody who has had years of training and preparation, without hopefully loosing their moral compass on the way, or somebody who is heartfelt and honest, but not mentally capable of delegating and listening to the right advice?

It appears a Hobson's choice, but I would opt for the one who is most capable.

Forgive me for answering your question with a question, but what's the task? I think Miliband can win the next election. I don't really see anybody from any party who wants the things I want, or has the talent to deliver them. So if the task is the sort of reform I'd like to see, then nobody I know of. I think that'd have to come by way of revolution and lots of luck.

Making Labour relevant again, by that I mean a proper party of the people, with the ideals and ideas which were it's backbone and ideology for many years. To get the working class interested in politics again, to create a fair and functioning society, to value the generations that are to come, and those that have been, to look at what is best for most and not some, to understand that people are having lowly existence's and look towards improving them, to see that progress does not equal better, to see that all I survey is my kingdom as much as the next mans and to fucking care!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Its a tough one, I think it's all a bit of a game to many of them. It's like they've picked sides and want to do whatever it takes to win. It's like a game of chess for these people, and they're out to win it. I'd pick one side over the other because they want to win it a certain way.

What we really need is a major change in the political system. That's not just about reforms or new laws or policies, that's about a complete upheaval of the entire political system and those who run it.

Its a tough one, I think it's all a bit of a game to many of them. It's like they've picked sides and want to do whatever it takes to win. It's like a game of chess for these people, and they're out to win it. I'd pick one side over the other because they want to win it a certain way.

What we really need is a major change in the political system. That's not just about reforms or new laws or policies, that's about a complete upheaval of the entire political system and those who run it.

I would cut down the number of MPs to something like 200 and pay them a lot more. Have a fully elected upper house - through PR (and an elected head of state). I would ban corporate party donations and put a ceiling on individual donations of something like a thousand quid, general election campaigns would be funded through an independent fund shared equally by the major parties.

Making Labour relevant again, by that I mean a proper party of the people, with the ideals and ideas which were it's backbone and ideology for many years. To get the working class interested in politics again, to create a fair and functioning society, to value the generations that are to come, and those that have been, to look at what is best for most and not some, to understand that people are having lowly existence's and look towards improving them, to see that progress does not equal better, to see that all I survey is my kingdom as much as the next mans and to fucking care!

I dont think you'll ever get that again, voting amongst the 'working' class and our now 'underclass' will continue to drop I think, there is very little difference between any of the big parties at all. If the last Labour term didn't prove that I don't know what would, even now, the unions practically put Ed Milliband in leadership and as soon as he is there he brushes off their calls for strikes.

This is the man elected to represent their interests. I wanted him myself but after that I realised he is either allowing himself to be controlled or he is completely full of shit, it's also I'd say why he isn't fully backed now and looking a bit weak, he should be ripping this government a new arse right now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
On Monday, the prime minister donned builders' boots to promote his government's "unashamedly ambitious" strategy for providing England with hundreds of thousands of affordable homes. On Tuesday, his government quietly published statistics on how many affordable homes were actually started in the six months since April.

The figure was 454.

Now, I know there has been change to the schemes which are supposed to help deliver these things - the National Affordable Housing Programme has become the Affordable Homes Programme (new stationery will be required), and that has affected the counting of housing starts.

But even taking that into consideration, the figures make deeply depressing reading. And some may speculate whether the publication of the long-awaited housing strategy one day ahead of their release is simply coincidence.

I am told that the Department for Communities (DCLG) has been trying to get the housing strategy "out the door for weeks", with much to and fro with No 10 as to when the document should be unveiled.

_56887129_eastontable.jpg

Ministers were well aware that the latest official statistics on England's house-building were due for release yesterday morning and their contents but, rather than contrive to coincide with the most recent data, the prime minister and his deputy invited the cameras to watch them plod through the mud of a housing development precisely 24 hours earlier.

Housing matters hugely to people and yet the subject does not have the political bite to keep it at the top of the news agenda. The launch of England's housing strategy was a rare opportunity to consider the state of the crisis and the political solutions on offer.

When the Homes and Community Agency published their figures the very next day, ministers could have expected there would have been little media appetite to return to the topic. In that sense, a cynic might think it was a "good day to bury bad news".

The DCLG denies there was any plot to hide or cover up the latest housing figures, but they are under a duty to ensure they do nothing that might compromise public confidence in official data.

The Code of Practice for Official Statistics says ministers must "ensure that no statement or comment - based on prior knowledge - is issued to the press or published ahead of the publication of the statistics" and reminds them of their duty "to promote trust and maximise public value" of official data.

There is no evidence of a deliberate attempt to bury the grim home-building figures, but it is a shame that Parliamentary debate of the housing strategy on Monday was denied the most recent information and that the sequence of events risks further damaging trust in the way politicians treat our national statistics.

Source: BBC

Couldn't agree more.

Except because of Badbellend's irritating sinus issue, and being a tool, he'll pronounce 'wibble' as 'werble'

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Personally, I don't care if he's coming off as a bit wet or a bullied school kid, I care whether or not his ideas are going to make life better for the majority of people in the country. I reckon I'd much prefer him than Cameron.

Personally, I don't care if he's coming off as a bit wet or a bullied school kid, I care whether or not his ideas are going to make life better for the majority of people in the country. I reckon I'd much prefer him than Cameron.

We'd all agree on that mate, but he'll need to win an election against the chinless wonder to implement those ideas.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Cameron couldn't win an election with everything in his favour, after being an incompetent cunt, I don't think he's going to do as well as last time.