You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite World Cup

Faustus

What was your favourite World Cup?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favourite World Cup?

I`ve gone for 78, as it`s the first one I can (vaguely) remember. 82 was probably equals it though.

I seem to recall a lot of the goals being blockbusters, particularly from the Dutch who were by far the best team and should have won it.

Scotland 3-2 v Holland was an all time world cup classic. And the now infamous Argentina 6-0 v Peru and the iconic ticker-tape display prior to the kick off in the final. Even the BBC soundtrack was top class.

82 was also very good. Northern Ireland beating Spain, Algieria beating the Germans but then being stitched up by them and the Austrians. The classic semi of W Germany v France and Rossi`s hat-trick for Italy knocking out a breathtaking Brazil team (i was close to tears after that). Maradona`s karate kick v Brazil when the Argies were torn apart, Bryan Robson scoring after 27 seconds and the Kuwaities walking off the pitch when the ref refused to disallow a goal against them and then the ref changing his mind.

Same here, only remember bits of 1978, but was a fan of the great Dutch team - and do remember the Argentina v Peru game - smells even now!! The Peru keeper was actually an Argie.

1982 was the one I still think was the best - I actually prefer the 2 group format - not a fan of the knock outs - too many negative teams playing for penalties. Some of the Brazilian football was sublime, the weather, the kits, etc

Somebody previously mentioned about Italia '90 being remembered by the rest of the world as less than stellar. And I think they're right - we've forgotten that England v Ireland was the worst game of the first stage. As for the games v Belgium/ Cameroon - they were played off the park. It was also the start of football being 'trendy' and talked about - which isn't a good thing - the start of the 'Sky generation'.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

France '98 for me, probably because of the reasons below:

• That was the summer I did my GCSE's and did quite well
  • I worked in a social club so got to watch all of the games on a big screen
  • I loved Michael Owen
  • I loved England back then and they played really well
  • Zidane was just immense

Italy '90 for me. First World Cup with Ireland in it and the whole country just shut down. I went to the England game with a mate and our Dads and it was amazing. The rest of the tournemount was excellant, from the penalty shoot out with Romania through to every day football. Fucking loved it.

My best single memory was going to see the USSR play New Zealand in the 1982 World Cup with my Dad and brother in Spain. My granddad was Irish army and he retired to Spain and so we went over to him for a family holiday and my Dad took us to the game. I was 9 and my brother was 16. It was amazing. But 1990 wins it for me.

I'd say the craic over here for Italia 90 was unreal. My Dad went to Euro 88 and said it was the best trip he was ever on. 8 minutes away from qualifying for the semis we were and if we had of got there he wouldn't have been able to stay as he was broke. He also said that the Dutch would have rioted if we had of held out for the draw as they would have went out. I love stories like that me.

Italia '90 for me because i went abroad for the first time (to Greece) and boned the shite of a cute German girl called Bettina for the majority of the fortnight.

Also because Cameroon ruled, and it's the only time in my life i've ever felt remotely arsed about watching England..

1. Mexico '86. Maradona was out of this world, his goal against England is surely the best ever? How he managed to outjump Shilton to score that header I'll never know.

2. France '98. Went over to watch Scotland and had a great time - glad I did because we might never qualify again. Also went to the Holland-Yugoslavia game - the Dutch were the best side at that tournament. France and Zidane were far better at Euro 2000.

3. USA '94. Loved Romario Hagi and Stoichkov and also the miraculous return of Maradona before it emerged he was was off his face. But mostly remember it for the number of lovely Irish girls I pulled in Santa Ponsa, Majorca during the group stage fortnight, happy days !

1994 for me. Class acts like Hagi,Stoichkov,Baggio,Romario etc all at their peak. And Brazil's Leonardo with that nasty elbow on yank Tab Ramos which earned him a red card and a ban for the rest of the tournament and with it missing out on a World Cup winners medal.

The round of 16 game that finished Romania 3-2 Argentina is a match that will live with me forever.