You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Even a relegated manager is more popular

Hermes

What can we learn from this poll? I guess one thing is: some fans on here appear happy for those who spoke to The Times, rather than those who logged on to RAWK, to speak for them. And Avram Grant ('a relegated manager') is very popular with Pompey fans: who would've thunk it.

Squad is good enough for better than 6th and Benitez is good enough for better than 6th. The question is if this squad is better than 6th with Benitez. The answer to that lies with the players- will they give 100% for Benitez?

What can we learn from this poll? I guess one thing is: some fans on here appear happy for those who spoke to The Times, rather than those who logged on to RAWK, to speak for them. And Avram Grant ('a relegated manager') is very popular with Pompey fans: who would've thunk it.

What's interesting is if you read further down the article our PLAYERS' evaluation only beat the West Ham and Hull fans' assessment.

It's quite a snidey headline, misleading too. I'm wondering if there are some people at the Times who are uncomfortable with the two Tony's coverage of Liverpool FC?

Amazed that headline got past the deputy ed!

What's interesting is if you read further down the article our PLAYERS' evaluation only beat the West Ham and Hull fans' assessment.

It's quite a snidey headline, misleading too. I'm wondering if there are some people at the Times who are uncomfortable with the two Tony's coverage of Liverpool FC?

It doesn't quite square when Murdoch's Sky are clearly not fans of Rafa and Hicks uses it whenever he feels the need to open his trap.

Apologies for being a visionary.

Fair point. I can understand that people don't like being wrong, but hopefully they will grow the decency to applaud the ones who were right all along when time (finally) comes and he has to take Lucas and Kuyt with him to Spain.

Agree with that. We were by far the biggest under-achievers last year so it's hardly surprising the blame gets doled out to all and sundry.

You'll be saying they've got an agenda next! You're developing a bad case of mediaparanoiaitis.

The Liverpool fans who took part in that poll were brutally and remarkably honest in their assessment.

But given Tony Evans's stance and his little ray of sunshinitis, I'm merely surprised!

Even Mr E has stated he felt Rafa fell way short last season. Diplomacy for the purposes of 'hey you can trust me on the rest'?

I suppose we're all guilty of that at some point.

It was an approval rating based on last season. Even a sceptic/basher/hater like me can see it's not an overall popularity rating.

The Liverpool fans who took part in that poll were brutally and remarkably honest in their assessment.

But given Tony Evans's stance and his little ray of sunshinitis, I'm merely surprised!

Even Mr E has stated he felt Rafa fell way short last season. Diplomacy for the purposes of 'hey you can trust me on the rest'?

I suppose we're all guilty of that at some point.

It was an approval rating based on last season. Even a sceptic/basher/hater like me can see it's not an overall popularity rating.

I don't see you as a sceptic/basher/hater at all - more of a fringe apologist.

Fair point. I can understand that people don't like being wrong, but hopefully they will grow the decency to applaud the ones who were right all along when time (finally) comes and he has to take Lucas and Kuyt with him to Spain.

[YOUTUBE]Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, sorry about that one. I might have overexaggerated that we only conceded ten goals in those 19 games and paid less attention to the points.

Maybe you've been subjected to the Rafa brainwash. Not only is competing for trophies more important than actually winning them, but not conceding goals is more important than gaining points. :whistle:

I don't agree about that. Even though the season was shit the second half wasn't that bad and there were some answers. Aquilani finally came into the team, Maxi started showing signs of what he's capable off, even Babel had some good games. If Gerrard and Torres and our other key players can stay fit there are definitely reasons to be optimistic.

Obviously there might be some other problems (hopefully not of course), but I think people are being far too negative at the moment. Hopefully we can get a better start to the season and if that happens who knows what it will turn out to be. We're definitely not title contenders the way our financial status is, but we can surely make a run for third or fourth place and that will be an improvement from this season. It's not like we'll turn it around and win the league straight away, but we are still a top side despite one shit season.

Fuck me pink.....

Guest PurpleNose
Fuck me pink.....

33 points from our last 19 league games.

Would have finished 6th rather than 7th had the first half of our season matched the second.

I've concluded that the entire season was fucking shite.

I think Rafa's fanbase has dwindled dramatically in past year or so, personally i lost confidence in him in game against Reading the other year when we were losing and he took Torres/Gerrard & Carra off and didn't try to win the game at all, that was enough for me.

Rafa is a master media manipulator and a lot of fans fall hook line an dsinker for it, he's very clever guy, the owners are trying the spin in the media and so are Rafa and his agent, thing is none of it is good for the club, f*cking sick of it at this stage.

Rafa should have been gone in January for damage limitation but we gambled and kept him in charge and we paid the price. No Champs League Footie, Lost Millions in revenue, potentially an exodus of players & a disaster trying to attract top players to a club playing second tier football. Thats the real issues we face along with the 2 pricks running the club. Its dire times indeed.

I do not have any confidence in Rafa whatsoever, especially in the transfer market, sure he has been hamstrung but his signings over the past 2 years especially have been shocking, they have either already been sold or we are still waiting for them to make an impact meanwhile Rafa has wasted millions in flops and all they have done is drained the wage bill( Example Aquilani whether he comes good or not has cost us 19.4 million so far in installments and yearly wage of £85,000 a week, has he been worth that this season?).All teh excuses in teh world doesn't take away from the fact that any other manager at any other top club would have been sacked a long time ago if they performed like Rafa did. Only for the owners are dispised by the fans as it is and Rafa has a water tight contract and we have broke owners thats why he's still here, and to be honest IMO i don't think he'll be leaving either, as much as i think it would be best for out club i never expected him to leave too much money at stake and sure where else he gonna go? The only other club he wanted to go to was Real Madrid, Rafa had great rep in Spain but i'm sure Perez has looked at his performance this season and thought otherwise and went for the much better option in Mourinho.

Anyways gonna be an interesting summer thats for sure, i won't be expected any top transfers in, i think the links with players like Carlton Cole,Kenwyne Jones,Raul,Simao etc are a sign of things to come, bad times for LFC