You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fuck off Benitez

d.k.E.

Does it not add to the magic for you that we fucked up and came back from the dead? Surely that made it more than if we'd gone to penalties at nil nil. It's always been part of the whole wild ride for me. And I do remember every second of it including the mammoth journey there and back. Didi goes without saying, the big leg.

Yep. I'm just laughing at people having a moan about that day. It was the single greatest day of my life and will never be improved. It actually took me years to recover and it affected my view of football as all I could think was that that day could simply never be bettered and this was as good as it was going to get for me as a Liverpool fan. Athens 2 years later proved that even more for me with the forced YNWA at half time that couldn't even come close to the half time in Istanbul, and all the shite of some of the scum actions of a minority of our fans. I've since moved on as a fan and now am back to where I can love my football again and that was down to last seasons title race which was so exciting. This season has tested me to be fair and the Yanks have managed to really drag me down this year.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I'm just laughing at people having a moan about that day. It was the single greatest day of my life and will never be improved. It actually took me years to recover and it affected my view of football as all I could think was that that day could simply never be bettered and this was as good as it was going to get for me as a Liverpool fan.

Can understand that but I wasn't having a moan, I was genuinely disbelieving that people thought it was a really clever sub. You can probably remember Didi warming up on the pitch through half time then. I was singing my guts out to YNWA and even "we're gonna win 4-3", but it was Didi keeping me sane. Wasn't quite sure how we were going to turn it around but seeing him was a massive relief because the nightmare had started when I found out he'd been dropped for Kewell. Those six minutes in the second half were completely ecstatic. I will never know anything like it again.

Can understand that but I wasn't having a moan, I was genuinely disbelieving that people thought it was a really clever sub. You can probably remember Didi warming up on the pitch through half time then. I was singing my guts out to YNWA and even "we're gonna win 4-3", but it was Didi keeping me sane. Wasn't quite sure how we were going to turn it around but seeing him was a massive relief because the nightmare had started when I found out he'd been dropped for Kewell. Those six minutes in the second half were completely ecstatic. I will never know anything like it again.

To be honest with you, I've never given the whole thing much thought. We won and it was excellant. He thought attack was the best form of defence (worked in the home leg v Juve) and so went for it. It fell on it's arse to an extent, although between the 1st and the 2nd goal I've never thought there much between us. But when Didi came on there were fans all around me whinging about bringing on a defensive midfielder when we were 3 down, but it was fairly obvious that something had to be done about Kaka. I was just laughing that some are trying to use Istanbul as a negative (not you). It was as good as it gets.

So having confirmed Hamann wasn't injured before the game after all, just not selected, here comes wave 2; Istanbul as a negative.

It’s a disgrace isn’t it?

There are Liverpool supporters on these boards who have stated that winning in Istanbul didn’t count as it was only on penalties, we didn’t deserve to go into the Champions League next season despite winning it and that bringing on Hamann at half time wasn’t a good substitution.

It was only possibly the greatest sporting comeback of all time in the best European cup final of all time!

Listening to the people on here that desperately want Benitez gone is eerily similar to listening to Man U/Everton fans because they use similar arguments and actually have very similar mindsets. Once you're onto it, it's pretty funny. Take any subject you want, whether it be about the value of the Europa league, or whether we were lucky to win (insert random match here) the train of thought is exactly the same for both groups.

Is this the usual standard of the threads on here? Just a suggestion but perhaps you could ban anyone under the age of 10?

Fuck off's, cocks, tools, suck my balls....marvellous stuff.

Welcome to the boards mate...you like it here?

I do.

Nice over-generalisation. Next up, when someone criticises Rafa for a sub you'll be claiming they think he has alzheimers and can't manage his squad's fitness.

It'd be great if it was an over-generalization. But it ain't.

Anyways you should all get back to seeing if you can find anymore of the 1000s of decisions made en route to Istanbul which with the benefit of hindsight and 5 years to think it over you can show deviate from the perfection that exists only in the untested arena of your mind.

It'd be great if it was an over-generalization. But it ain't.

Anyways you should all get back to seeing if you can find anymore of the 1000s of decisions made en route to Istanbul which with the benefit of hindsight and 5 years to think it over you can show deviate from the perfection that exists only in the untested arena of your mind.

How is it not? Where have I used that single mistake to argue that he is a duffer and can't pick a team properly?

He's made some inspired team selections and some shit ones. I'm happy to say it's a good team on the match thread when I think it is. If I only pulled up his mistakes and never gave him any credit then you might have a point.

Bring up any other selection decisions you want to discuss and they might pique my interest. Someone mentioned Gerrard at right back in the second half for instance. That bit of madness probably won us a trophy.

That was a brilliant move. I want that Rafa.

That Rafa still exists and he's got even bolder. Lucas as a holding midfielder ,for example; no other manager in the world would take the risk , it doesn't work, it ruins entire seasons but fuck if Rafa is going to give it up without a fight.

That's worded ever so slightly wrong.

Troo doh.

Anyway, I wouldn't want anyone making decisions for him, just someone to tell him "no" every once in a while.

You can't surround yourself with minions who are just happy to be sat on the bench.

Troo doh.

Anyway, I wouldn't want anyone making decisions for him, just someone to tell him "no" every once in a while.

You can't surround yourself with minions who are just happy to be sat on the bench.

Yeah, there's far too many yes men at the club. I don't know what happened with Pako and Paco but someone does still need to be there to challenge him every once in a while