You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How many new players do we need & which areas of the squad need strengthening?

StevieH

I'll go out there and say I don't think we need to do that much work.

We need a centre-back with pace who's good in the air, a first choice left back and a quality left-winger. A back-up for Torres would be good too, though I daresay by the time we get around to buying one N'Gog might be perfectly capable of fulfilling that function.

I think our main problem in attack is width and our main problem in defence is a lack of pace in CB, which means we're having to sit too deep. I'm not sure what quality left-backs are going, but I'd like to see us make a move for Elia for the LW position, and maybe a player like Shawcross at centre-back. Or just give Agger a run in the team.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't really say much though in all fairness!

It certainly doesn't warrant another deal for a 32 year old, who is still an accident waiting to happen, anyhow we shouldn't be offering new terms to players who play well for a few games, it should be for players who have played well for at least a full season, I would argue a longer period.

I agree. I think Soto Kyrgiakos is ideal in games against sides like Blackburn who tend to play a lot of long balls, but he is likely to get exposed in other situations. Lyon away last season in the champions league being a prime example.

Dont know about any of you's but i think we have a fair bit of quality that dopnt even make the First team the likes of Silva Suso Amoo Shelvey Pacheco providing he looses his greediness Also have the likes of Ayala out on loan. Kelly is supurb imo should be a first choice. I also like Mavinga. But im not quite sure if hes good enough yet.

2 Wingers, 2 Centre Halfs, 1 Left Back, 2 Strikers and 1 Centre Midfielder.

In January, I'd settle for 1 Winger, 1 Centre Half and 1 Striker.

Afellay and Llorente being linked. They would most certainly do. I would love Gary Cahill and Ryan Shawcross.

I think it's time to cash in on Agger. I think Skrtel is better, just by a bit.

I think we need a winger, a brilliant centre back, left back and striker. Possibly a really good defensive midfielder too.

We definately need a top defensive midfielder.

We needed a striker, a left back and Mascherano's replacement this summer.

And the facts are, we still need all of the above.

I'd make a striker the priority in January.

In the summer, we have some decent potential cash coming in from Babel, Aquilani, Insua, and hopefully Jovanovic, Konchesky and Poulsen (and I'm being deadly serious).

If they allocate 20mil plus sales, and we are a little creative in the transfer market, then we could build a pretty good squad with that.

However, the first priority is to decide who will make those decisions, by firstly appointing a proper CEO, who can then help appoint a manager who is able to take us forward over the next 3 years.

We definately need a top defensive midfielder.

We needed a striker, a left back and Mascherano's replacement this summer.

And the facts are, we still need all of the above.

I'd make a striker the priority in January.

In the summer, we have some decent potential cash coming in from Babel, Aquilani, Insua, and hopefully Jovanovic, Konchesky and Poulsen (and I'm being deadly serious).

If they allocate 20mil plus sales, and we are a little creative in the transfer market, then we could build a pretty good squad with that.

However, the first priority is to decide who will make those decisions, by firstly appointing a proper CEO, who can then help appoint a manager who is able to take us forward over the next 3 years.

Do we need to replace Mascherano or could Gerrard dropping deeper and playing alongside Meireles be an effective midfield partnership? I would agree that if we get back in the Champions League then we may need to sign a more disciplined defensive midfielder as an alternative.

I would like to see Gerrard & Meirless paired together on a regular basis with Joe Cole playing in the hole behind Torres and 2 quality wide players signed to play on the flanks ie. Ashley Young / Balász Dzsudzsák on the left and someone like Lee Chung-Yong on the right.

Dont know about any of you's but i think we have a fair bit of quality that dopnt even make the First team the likes of Silva Suso Amoo Shelvey Pacheco providing he looses his greediness Also have the likes of Ayala out on loan. Kelly is supurb imo should be a first choice. I also like Mavinga. But im not quite sure if hes good enough yet.

Suso and Silva are 16 and 17 respectively.

And stop with the Pacheco being greedy shite, he doesn't even play so it's ludicrous you've come to that conclusion so quickly and even worse you keep repeating it!

Ashley Young would be massively overpriced and his goalscoring output isn't great. I think we can do better for that kind of money. Get Danny, Alexis Sanchez, Elia or Arda.

Ashley Young will only have 12 months left on his current contract at the end of this season so he may be more reasonably priced.

Even with that proviso he'd cost at least €15M. Ozil went for €15m with a year to go on his contract. Young would probably cost more because he's English.

Another kid we could go after is 21 year old Brazilian Bruno Cesar. He has 10 goals in 19 games for Corinthians this season.

In January, a wide forward with pace and goals (they're ten-a-penny, you know!), a centre forward who could play instead of or alongside Torres, a centre half with pace and aerial ability and a proper footballer for central midfield. Making way would be Babel, Ngog, Agger and Lucas.

In the summer, I'd like to see two new full backs, another wide forward for the other flank and another centre half. Moving on would be Skrtel, Dirk, Aurelio, Maxi and, if he doesn't improve PDQ, Johnson.

Guest PurpleNose

I'd definately fuck off Jones, Konchesky, Babel and Poulsen. They're all complete shit, with no hope of ever becoming good enough.

Gulasci, Pacheco, Wilson, Shelvey and Kelly should be permanent members of the first team squad.

Ideally I'd like to see Insua (to be back up) and Aquilani recalled. Then Aurelio could be moved on, as its highly unlikely he'll be able to play more than 3 minutes a season.

Spend any cash we have on a tall, strong, quick holding midfielder, a left back capable of defending and attacking, and another striker. A target man, but not an alehouse one. Someone like Pazzini or Llorente would be excellent.

Not arsed about wingers. Width can come from the fullbacks.

Not sure what I'd do about the centrebacks. Greek and Skrtel looks our best partnership at the moment. So I wouldn't want either of them to leave. Still believe Agger has a future here, same applies to Ayala who has been very good at Hull. Carragher at the moment should be 4th choice.

We need at least two wide players with pace and skill, whether it's Turan and Mata or N'Zogbia and Dzudzsak or whoever. There are players available, no question.

We need at least one top class central midfielder.

We need a left back.

We need a centre half in the Sami mould.

We need another striker.

Guest PurpleNose
What we need before January is a new manager. Everything else is secondary.

I'm rather banking on having a new manager by the next transfer window. I certainly don't want Hodgson buying any more players.