You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Urges John Aldridge

Liverpool's under-fire board were last night urged to sack Rafa Benitez.

The call came from the normally supportive Reds legend John Aldridge, who has blasted Benitez’s tactics and transfer policy.

The former striker said: “'This is the lowest point in my lifetime as a Liverpool fan.

“Rafa's departure would be an upheaval but he would've lost his job by now if he was at another top club. The question is - do Liverpool have the money to pay off the remainder of his contract?”

Benitez has four years remaining on his current deal, signed only last February. Liverpool sit eighth in the Premier League, 12 points off leaders Chelsea and four points off a Champions League place.

Aldridge, speaking to Nuts magazine, added: “'Liverpool must finish in the top four, whatever it takes.

“Anything else would be a disaster for the club already weighed down in debt. Sadly, I can't see any way they'll claim that final Champions League spot - unless they get back on track soon'

“Benltez can't claim injuries are the problem, as both [Fernando] Torres and [steven] Gerrard are now fit and playing.

“However, he’s still employing baffling tactics - such as sending out a defensive team against the Premier League's bottom club and getting beaten.”

Aldridge played 104 times for his boyhood favourites scoring 63 goals. He also lifted the title with Liverpool in 1988, in between two second-placed finishes.

These days the once mighty outfit are a very different club.

Indeed Liverpool were beaten 2-0 by another crisis club, Portsmouth, on December 19.

Aldridge now believes Benitez must find a way to bring in a new striker to provide support for Torres on whom the club have been heavily reliant.

Benitez has already freed up striker Dirk Kuyt to move into a more central position from the right by snapping up Atletico Madrid winger Maxi Rodriguez.

Aldridge believes even more reinforcements are needed. He went on: “Torres and Gerrard need support! Apparently, Real Madrid's Ruud van Nistelrooy fancies coming to Liverpool and I reckon he'd be an excellent short-term option.

“ I'd also try to bring in the Celtic's Aiden McGeady and even Bolton's Kevin Davies.

“Robbie Keane, Peter Crouch, Craig Bellamy and Michael Owen could all be wearing Liverpool colours today, yet Rafa relies on an untested kid in David Ngog to start in big games? Now he's reaping the rewards of letting his best players leave.”

What a fucking tit.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as i read 'KEVIN DAVIES' i giggled like a little girl! Come on Aldo, i know your care about our club and your a passionate guy,but please stop and look at the bigger picture!.

Sounds like hes hit the panic button big time!. Im worried but realistic to know with a winning run everything changes..because thats Football. Stop bitching Aldo and support the team!

Jesus Christ? What the fuck is Aldridge at? This type of comment now?

Every ex-player and all fans need to be united in getting the owners out. After that they can write about getting the manager out.

Is right - don't waste time squeezing a spot when you've got two big tumours.

The Kevin Davies shout is quality.

He said EVEN Bolton`s Kevin Davies, and the sad thing is that he would improve us.

Let me just remind everyone about the current standings.

1. Chelsea 20 14 3 3 45-16 45p

2. Man Utd 21 14 2 5 46-19 44p

3. Arsenal 20 13 3 4 53-23 42p

4. Man City 20 10 8 2 42-28 38p

5. Tottenham 20 11 4 5 42-22 37p

6. Aston Villa 20 10 5 5 29-18 35p

7. Liverpool 20 10 3 7 37-25 33p

I feel that our form and quality really have picked up during the weekend, probably because we have not played and everyone have had the misfortune to be reminded about the sad state we currently are in.

He said EVEN Bolton`s Kevin Davies, and the sad thing is that he would improve us.

Let me just remind everyone about ou current standing.

I feel that our form and quality really have picked up during the weekend, probably because we have not played and everyone have had the misfortune to be reminded about the sad state we currently are in.

No he wouldn't.

Let me just remind everyone about the current standings.

The same Kevin Davis that has scored 3 league goals this season? You're talking shite there.