You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

20 years mate. You won't be allowed to drive as the cars will be vastly superior to you in every way. Well, I say you won't be allowed but you'll be priced out of it as insurance for a human who could be tired, angry, pissed, high, just a poor driver will be extortionate.

I've been on driverless tube trains and don't see the issue. You don't have lift attendants anymore and that seems to work ok.

Like I said, I'll most likely be dead by then, or in a state where I really couldn't give a shit. The direction the World is taking doesn't sound promising unless you like that sort of stuff. 

Like I said, I'll most likely be dead by then, or in a state where I really couldn't give a shit. The direction the World is taking doesn't sound promising unless you like that sort of stuff.

I'm going to book you an Uber, on 'get away driver' mode and rag you all over Germany.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm going to book you an Uber, on 'get away driver' mode and rag you all over Germany.

I'd happily let you waste your money, plus sightseeing isn't all that bad. 

Many people think technological advancements are great, until it affects their own livelihood.

I can understand if the rail companies were making a loss, but they're not. The cost 'savings' are simply designed to boost profits / dividends. Profitable companies who lay off workers are morally reprehensible cunts.

Guest Pistonbroke

I can understand if the rail companies were making a loss, but they're not. The cost 'savings' are simply designed to boost profits / dividends. Profitable companies who lay off workers are morally reprehensible cunts.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it boils down to avoid striking mate. Automated doctors/surgeons/nurses up and running by the next century. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it boils down to avoid striking mate. Automated doctors/surgeons/nurses up and running by the next century.

But that's progress. A nurse or doctor that's never tired, is immediately up to speed on the latest techniques, is a master of all the disciplines, can do all the tests and instantly provide the results...what's the issue?

But that's progress. A nurse or doctor that's never tired, is immediately up to speed on the latest techniques, is a master of all the disciplines, can do all the tests and instantly provide the results...what's the issue?

So you'd be fine with your job ceasing to exist tomorrow, because it could be done for free by a computer?

Guest Pistonbroke

The issue is the job losses this would cause and the obvious problems to arise should the system fail and not enough humans are around to pick up the gauntlet. The price to pay for such a system would cost a fortune and who would be paying for all of this when unemployment figures rise. My main gripe is that it would also lead to less patient care and understanding, it would just become yet another conveyor belt. Peoples lives, their well being or their in operative problems where you need to alert a human would be put in the hands of a programme.

I'm all for advancement in certain areas but not all, I'm not sure why you are questioning every opinion I have on this given topic. You can hold your opinions and I'll stick with mine thanks. 

So you'd be fine with your job ceasing to exist tomorrow, because it could be done for free by a computer?

Of course not, but denying it's going to happen is mental. We are all like the blokes who used to walk in front of cars waving a red flag. AI and robots will replace us all in less than 100 yrs.

The issue is the job losses this would cause and the obvious problems to arise should the system fail and not enough humans are around to pick up the gauntlet. The price to pay for such a system would cost a fortune and who would be paying for all of this when unemployment figures rise. My main gripe is that it would also lead to less patient care and understanding, it would just become yet another conveyor belt. Peoples lives, their well being or their in operative problems where you need to alert a human would be put in the hands of a programme.

I'm all for advancement in certain areas but not all, I'm not sure why you are questioning every opinion I have on this given topic. You can hold your opinions and I'll stick with mine thanks.

FFS I'm not just questioning you.

If you'd rather I didn't reply to any of your posts just say.

Guest Pistonbroke

FFS I'm not just questioning you.

If you'd rather I didn't reply to any of your posts just say.

Well you seem to be in this thread, plus doing so in your usual wind up way, (the uber dig). 

I remember someone on here talking about Universal Basic Income and I thought it was a daft idea. I've read and listened to a lot since then and it's the only way we'll survive.

When it's introduced I'll get the hive mind to bump the thread when you all laughed at Stronts.

Of course not, but denying it's going to happen is mental. We are all like the blokes who used to walk in front of cars waving a red flag. AI and robots will replace us all in less than 100 yrs.

Sorry mate, you seemed to be advocating it earlier. I also agree that it's inevitable, but as I said about the rail companies, morally it's repugnant. It'd be fine if we lived in a utopian Star Trek style society where everything is free and we all mooched about being enlightened. Can't see that happening though, more the profits from automation get kept by the few until they realise that no jobs = no one left to buy shit, and the drawbridges get raised.

Guest Pistonbroke

Sorry mate, you seemed to be advocating it earlier. I also agree that it's inevitable, but as I said about the rail companies, morally it's repugnant. It'd be fine if we lived in a utopian Star Trek style society where everything is free and we all mooched about being enlightened. Can't see that happening though, more the profits from automation get kept by the few until they realise that no jobs = no one left to buy shit, and the drawbridges get raised.

A certain percentage of mankind are working towards that mate. Reducing World population by vast numbers would make it easier for them and whether we realise it or not the majority are helping them out. They realise that we can't go along with the ever rising World population as resources and food won't cater for it in the long run. More for them and less for us will be a lot easier to handle if they find themselves in the majority. Of course none of this will happen in our lifetime, but it isn't that far away all things considered. 

No worries.

We've got a warehouse in Leicester that's fucking huge, it has hundreds of thousands of products and millions of picks a week. It's mostly automated, watching it is work is incredible. Some may say that it's put loads out of work, but doing it that way is the only way that thousands of engineers get the parts to fix thousands of customers problems.

We don't stand still, we can't.