You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Years of falling behind are catching up with us

Megadrive Man

Also having the balls to play hardball with the council would be nice.

United just tell their council what they want and they get it. They'll no doubt get planning permission to build a super stand which is built over the rail way line at some point.

We just let ours treat us like shit and not like one of the biggest clubs in the world.

There was nothing important behind the other 3 stands though as it's on an industrial estate so the land use is very different. I think they've also been told they could build over the railway line but it would cost too much which is why they've held back.

You're right though, "can we put up a new bookshelf please"

"no"

"okay, sorry to trouble you. bye"

I totally agree but this city council are under the daft illusion you have to demolish old housing and build brand new ones rather than do them up.

They are doing the same in Dingle, rows and rows of empty perfectly good houses which just need a face lift but no they want it cleared.

When you look at the past 20 years, you can see a few wrong decisions being made, but ones which proved pivotal to our club's future. And sadly, in the long run I believe there were many more terrible decisions than good ones.

Parry and Moores failing to get a grip with the financial aspect of football, not to mention pocketing an extra 8 million in profit from G+H instead of DIC.

Not performing due diligence to bring G+H here.

The "French gems", the next Zidane and the next Vieira being preferred to Anelka and Duff, who proved to be massive hits elsewhere.

Appointing Evans and Houllier together and finishing the season something like 8th place.

Shipping Beardley off and getting Nigel Clough to replace him.

Gross mismanagement of Xabi Alonso, one of the few true gentlemen in football, and one of the few buys who actually deserved to wear the red shirt.

Not moving out of Anfield sooner.

We basically in gradual decline on the evolution of the Premiership and I personally think we have never recovered, which is the main reason why we haven't won the league since then. Luckily we've managed to win a few trophies along the way.

We're basically run like a small club who thinks they are a big club, and not as a business.

How many years and courting did it fucking take to find investors? Fuck me. My fucking four year old nephew could have done it quicker. And to top it off, they fucking turned down DIC for our two current cunt owners without doing a history check on Hicks.

How the flying fuck have we not got a new stadium built? It's beggars fucking belief.

Stadiums & Capacity (new stadiums in bold)

Old Trafford 76,212

Emirates Stadium 60,355

St James' Park 52,387

Stadium of Light 49,000

City of Manchester Stadium 47,726

Anfield 45,522

I couldn't be bothered to include all the clubs who have managed to build new stadiums (with smaller capacities) while we've been pussy footing around with our fingers in our arseholes.

We basically have been left behind well and trully and in our current predicament, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Saddled with debt, no new stadium and no appeal to any investors.

The wake up call should have been the 2004/2005 season when the blueshite pipped us to fourth place. Thank the lord that we won the Champions League that season, otherwise I dread to think what would have happened to us?!?!?! Gerrard gone to Chelsea, Rafa sacked. It's fucking scary just thinking about it.

Don't get me started on our failure to capitalise on our 2005 success in Istanbul. More potential millions in revenue lost by Moores and co.

I think we are in deep fucking shit this season and think it's gonna be one hell of task to ensure that either Spurs, Villa or City don't finish above us, thus pushing us out of the top 4 position we've been pretty comfortable in since 2005/6.

The two fuckwits solely responsible for our current plight are solely Moores, then followed by Parry.

I hope the both fucking burn in hell the cunts!!! :telloff:

If I ever saw either of them on the street, I would fucking gob in their fucking faces and tell both of them exactly what I think of them.

When you look at the past 20 years, you can see a few wrong decisions being made, but ones which proved pivotal to our club's future. And sadly, in the long run I believe there were many more terrible decisions than good ones.

Parry and Moores failing to get a grip with the financial aspect of football, not to mention pocketing an extra 8 million in profit from G+H instead of DIC.

Not performing due diligence to bring G+H here.

The "French gems", the next Zidane and the next Vieira being preferred to Anelka and Duff, who proved to be massive hits elsewhere.

Appointing Evans and Houllier together and finishing the season something like 8th place.

Shipping Beardley off and getting Nigel Clough to replace him.

Gross mismanagement of Xabi Alonso, one of the few true gentlemen in football, and one of the few buys who actually deserved to wear the red shirt.

Not moving out of Anfield sooner.

Have to agree with most of that. I think Moores and Parry were just out of their depths they didint do a bad job but key decisions in hindsight look not only naive but had they been made in a company would have been neglegent.

Putting two Managers from two diffrent nationalities and footballing backgrounds in charge of a team was a forewarning only to be repeated times 100 by selling to our current custodians.

Have to agree with most of that. I think Moores and Parry were just out of their depths they didint do a bad job but key decisions in hindsight look not only naive but had they been made in a company would have been neglegent.

Well that's probably due to one of three things:

1. Parry and Moores being stupid fuckwits,

2. Parry and Moores trying to respect our traditions in the wrong manner or,

3. Parry and Moores being more intelligent than some people may believe. If you think about it, Moores did indeed pocket an extra 8 million from the deal. That might say something about his wits.

Having said that, I will never forgive that pair of cunts for selling the soul of our club, the very foundations of the most successful side in British football, all in a couple of days. No due diligence, after all those years of apparent negotiations. Believing their stupid hype. Making an extra 8 million profit.

Sounds like another easy cop out to excuse some poor managment. We challenged for the title last season and are considered one of the elite clubs in the game with a huge global fanbase, which isn't usually the case for a club in decline. But as long as people keep sticking their head in the sand and blaming money we'll continue to underachieve on the pitch.

We have spent 100's of millions on poor players, thats what has put us behind more than anything else these past 20 years. Only Rafa has bought in real world class players like Torres and Mascherano. OK he has bought some duds but all managers do. I read somewhere that we have spent a lot these past 20 years and that can only be down to the poor buys by Souness, Evans and Houllier.

Sounds like another easy cop out to excuse some poor managment. We challenged for the title last season and are considered one of the elite clubs in the game with a huge global fanbase, which isn't usually the case for a club in decline. But as long as people keep sticking their head in the sand and blaming money we'll continue to underachieve on the pitch.

Suggest you read the times

Why do you say that?

Most of Rafa's big money signings have been top players for us. Torres,Mascherano, Johnson etc.

Its beacuse of a lack of funds that Rafa has had to resort to signing bosman players such as Voronin, Degan etc Do you honestly think if we had money Rafa ever would of signed these players?

not just about money its about player judgement.plus.......

babel 10m

kuyt 10m

keane 18m

dossena 7m

riera 8m

pennant 7m

thats good wedge (£60m-ish) wasted on average players who wouldnt get a game for our main rivals

Why do you say that?

Most of Rafa's big money signings have been top players for us. Torres,Mascherano, Johnson etc.

Its beacuse of a lack of funds that Rafa has had to resort to signing bosman players such as Voronin, Degan etc Do you honestly think if we had money Rafa ever would of signed these players?

we had less money than our rivals when we joined so why change the goal posts now and cry poverty? not good enough,end of

babel 10m

kuyt 10m

keane 18m

dossena 7m

riera 8m

pennant 7m

thats good wedge (£60m-ish) wasted on average players who wouldnt get a game for our main rivals

when thats the price range you have to aim for though its going to be a lot harder to find players good enough for Liverpool, its not like you can say Riera was a shit buy when we could of had Silva for the same price instead is it. We're buying players at a price range the likes of Spurs and Villa have been buying equal to and above but we still finish ahead of them

He's spent over £200m gross. How is that resorting to bosman signings?

200 million over 6 seasons is roughly 33 million a season, which is the amount that Chelsea United and even Man city have been spending on 1 player!

Not to mention that Rafa has had to raise most of these funds by selling players!

He's spent over £200m gross. How is that resorting to bosman signings?

£200m gross over 5 years just simply shows a manager buying and trading up for superior players whenever possible. Rafa has changed all our players bar Gerrard and Carra by now. That costs money

£200m net per year for the initial one or two years is what a team with ambitions to win everything is spending in order to catch up with the established champions who only have to change one or two players a year

babel 10m

kuyt 10m

keane 18m

dossena 7m

riera 8m

pennant 7m

Of course they wouldn't get a game for our main rivals. Our main rivals have players worth double that in the same positions.

I only count the Mancs and Chelsea as our main rivals for the league and champions league. Arsenal won't be winning either any time soon IMO

Those "average" players are the range the other teams are paying for players, hence the quality is similar. Even the bitters shop in that price range these days. Tottenham and definitely City shop in a higher range than us on average.

I am pretty sure when we get all our top players fit and on form we will be smashing our opponents to smithereens most games, come the end of the season. It might be too late to catch the leaders by then though (like last season)

However these are the facts, we sold Alonso and Arbeloa for straight up 30m and 6?m while we got Johnson for straight cash 10m (deduct 7m from Crouch), and Aquilani for only 5m (the rest is paid in installments and success), and Krygios for 2m.

So in 36 mil, out 17 mil thereabouts. Although on paper we replaced our players that left (Hyypia left too for free), financial wise, Rafa should have been given the difference to buy MORE players.

What happened to sell then buy? Here we have a net profit and yet couldn't afford more players (hence our use of youngsters and Bosmans). I thought the owners were going to cough up an additional 20m net per season to spend?

What about all these reports I am reading that Babel will be sold/loaned and the money is not going to be given to Rafa, but used to lengthen Reina's contract?

How can anyone say in light of this, that money is not an issue?

Something is wrong IMO. I don't blame Rafa one bit that our team is weaker this season than last

However these are the facts, we sold Alonso and Arbeloa for straight up 30m and 6?m while we got Johnson for straight cash 10m (deduct 7m from Crouch), and Aquilani for only 5m (the rest is paid in installments and success), and Krygios for 2m.

So in 36 mil, out 17 mil thereabouts. Although on paper we replaced our players that left (Hyypia left too for free), financial wise, Rafa should have been given the difference to buy MORE players.

You're talking cashflow. It means nothing.

The facts are Johnson cost £17m, Aqualani cost £20m. How we pay for them is irrevelent, we've still spent £37m on those two.

The Crouch money was still spent, we would either have got in our pocket or we got the credit to put towards Johnson, it's the same thing.

The Aquilani deal is structed over his contract, like most player deals are, but we've still committed to spending £20m on him.