You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you be happy with our squad if Johnson was our only big signing??

WhiskeyJar

Would you be happy with your team if Johnson was our only signing?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy with your team if Johnson was our only signing?

The signing of Johnson has weakened us - defensively. Arbeloa looks like he`s gone, better defender than Johnson. I worry about Johnson against the other 3 and the big sides in the Champs League. He`ll be great when we`re chasing the games against the dross. But the big games.................

Absolutely not. United have just lost gaylord and melted cheese face. There'll never be a better time to go at them. Berbatov is shit just like I always said he was and Rooney doesn't score enough.

The people who are underestimating the inability of Scolari and the influence of Essien will have their graces saved by the absolute shiteness of Ancelotti.

Won't matter anyway when we sign frankenstein ribery.

i think we will sign at least 1 quality attacker

Rafa 'bought' Keane last summer so on some level he knows that we can't survive a whole season with only Gerrard and Torres as our main attackers

we also brought in Reira to 'solve' the left wing issue - which hasn't been a 100% success - although he does bring a balance to the team that was lacking previously

I think people have short memories. We had a fantastic end to the season but the time around january and even before when we were drawing all them home games against sides who sat back was concerning.

I accept torres and gerrard were not always fit together but isnt that the point - we need someone to complement them.

Im happy with the johnson signing but if someone would have said to me a month ago will you be happy if you just sign a right back id have said no.

Still need a top creative player in my opinion.

The main positives to take out the situation being for me we are keeping continuity and hopefully therefore morale (may be affected by our centre mids movements) and Ronaldo has fucked off!! which I think is possibly as good news as we could have had.

Do have to remember as someone mentioned though that chelsea will start the season with joe cole and essien back (2 key players)

I think people have short memories. We had a fantastic end to the season but the time around january and even before when we were drawing all them home games against sides who sat back was concerning.

I accept torres and gerrard were not always fit together but isnt that the point - we need someone to complement them.

Im happy with the johnson signing but if someone would have said to me a month ago will you be happy if you just sign a right back id have said no.

Still need a top creative player in my opinion.

The main positives to take out the situation being for me we are keeping continuity and hopefully therefore morale (may be affected by our centre mids movements) and Ronaldo has fucked off!! which I think is possibly as good news as we could have had.

Do have to remember as someone mentioned though that chelsea will start the season with joe cole and essien back (2 key players)

Absolutely spot on, mate.

We did really well from March onwards, but beforehand we struggled massively to break teams down at Anfield. We desperately need another top attacking player.

Edited by Brownie

Absolutely spot on, mate.

We did really well from March onwards, but before hand we struggled massively to break teams down at Anfield. We desperately need another top attacking player.

Indeed. Not just a "backup" player as some are saying. We need a real top class attacking player to improve on last season.

I can understand being happy with the signing of Johnson, because that in itself makes sense. I don't , though, understand being happy with this being our only transfer. I can't recall too many people saying " fuck me this side is very good but you know what we need to break down teams who have no intention of leaving their own half and take us to the next level? Bingo, a new RB."

Regardless of their excellent trophy haul in the last two years, I firmly believe Manchester United are there for the taking and to not address this sides biggest deficiency, namely the left wing, would be something I just don't understand. Luckily, I think Rafa ,too, sees this and will and buy a player (Cassano?) who can help us achieve the title.

It's also worth stating how poorly we did in the cups as a direct result of how limited our squad is. The disaster at Tottenham being the most extreme example of this but the 3-1 home defeat to Chelsea was as a result of us not having adequate cover for Mascherano and the team being very tired from the tempo of football we'd been playing. The same could also be said of the Everton game.

No. I still don't think we have enough quality in the attacking third. What we often miss is chances - we score lots, but a class act to support/augment/stand in for Torres would miss less chances than our existing (non-Torres) forwards, and that would make a difference between losing or drawing and winning. A class act could be relied on to retain possession in the final third, would maintain the momentum of the attack, and would spot and have the technique to play the killer through ball.

We fail at home against packed defences too often, because on occasion the team is not blessed with wit, guile and technique. We've been both pedestrian and predictable. We often were in the late 70's too, but we could rely on the result because of the huge unremitting pressure we could bring to bear. We're not quite the juggernaut we were in those days.