You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Torres the best ever LFC CF

Red Nick

I think Rush was the better finisher but as an all round striker I dont think I have seen a better striker play for LFC. I never saw Roger Hunt play so my time was really Keegan and Toshack through to present day.

I dont include keegan or Dalglish in that because they werent CFs IMO.

But for me Id probably have Torres in ahead of Rush and Fowler because of his all round game and sacrafice a bit on the finishing

Opinions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think he has a bit to go tbh. Obviously he has the talent and attitude to become our greatest but still not ahead of either Rush or Fowler.

It goes to show how immense he has been for us over the past two seasons that this question is even arising. Give it another two years and at least 1 PL and he will have helped restore LFC to our rightful place. I will think more about it then.

If Diego Maradonna played for liverpool for one season in the 80s he would still have been the greatest LFC player every, way ahead of King Kenny.

I dont get the time thing, surelty its about how well you play in your career at a club be it one season or 10

If Diego Maradonna played for liverpool for one season in the 80s he would still have been the greatest LFC player every, way ahead of King Kenny.

I dont get the time thing, surelty its about how well you play in your career at a club be it one season or 10

So you are referring more to ability than their overall effect on LFC?

Guest The Chimp

I love Nando but . . .

Comparisons with Rushie are a fucking joke Nick and I just reckon you're being mischievious here.

If not and you're serious (which I just don't belive for a minute you are - especially with the Maradonna comment), do yourself a favour and go and watch a few highlights of Rushie in action and then come back to me in about five years, and ask again.

IF Nando carries on the way he has been it might (and I say might) be worthy of consideration, but for me the lad's a long, long way to go. Similar questions were asked about Robbie and Owen and look how that turned out?

The best striker I've ever seen in my lifetime playing for LFC was Michael Owen, Torres blows him away.

I think a better comparison for me when it comes to 'top strikers' is comparing Torres to Thierry Henry, now I think Henry was the best striker to come from overseas into Britain, he was and still is a sensational player and a joy to watch (Not against us). What excites me most about Torres is that IMO he is better than Thierry Henry was at his Prime, and Torres hasn't reached that yet.

Fowler's first two seasons were just as impressive, if not more so, than Nando's. He certainly has the potential to be the best though.

That's the crux for me, you put a young healthy Fowler in this team...Think about it, he'd probably set a single season goals record. I think Fowler's passing is very under rated as well.

I love Nando but . . .

Comparisons with Rushie are a fucking joke Nick and I just reckon you're being mischievious here.

If not and you're serious (which I just don't belive for a minute you are - especially with the Maradonna comment), do yourself a favour and go and watch a few highlights of Rushie in action and then come back to me in about five years, and ask again.

IF Nando carries on the way he has been it might (and I say might) be worthy of consideration, but for me the lad's a long, long way to go. Similar questions were asked about Robbie and Owen and look how that turned out?

Nail on head.

I saw Rush in his pomp and he was easily the best finisher ive seen since my time wathing the reds (never saw Roger Hunt) he had that extra yard of pace to get away from the first defender but teams in those days held a high line and rush used to time his runs brilliantly.

If I was picking my all time Liverpool team today on the basis that all the players were playing to the top of there abillity id have Dalglish and Torres, With Souness and Gerrard in the middle Barnes left and Whelan right.

I saw Rush in his pomp and he was easily the best finisher ive seen since my time wathing the reds (never saw Roger Hunt) he had that extra yard of pace to get away from the first defender but teams in those days held a high line and rush used to time his runs brilliantly.

If I was picking my all time Liverpool team today on the basis that all the players were playing to the top of there abillity id have Dalglish and Torres, With Souness and Gerrard in the middle Barnes left and Whelan right.

Whelan on the right?

That makes sense.

Oh wait, no, no my mistake.

It doesn't. At all.

My opinion is no, not yet but he probably will be by the time he retires.

Rush was brilliant for us but look what happened when he went to Italy.

Torres was brilliant for Atletico and now he is even better for us. The rate he is improving is amazing.

You might not be able to say Torres is better than Rush but there is certainly more of an argueement than a lot of people here are putting forward.

For example, we replaced Rush with Aldridge short term and became a better team. Is there anyone in the world we could replace Torres with and improve?

The best striker I've ever seen in my lifetime playing for LFC was Michael Owen, Torres blows him away.

I think a better comparison for me when it comes to 'top strikers' is comparing Torres to Thierry Henry, now I think Henry was the best striker to come from overseas into Britain, he was and still is a sensational player and a joy to watch (Not against us). What excites me most about Torres is that IMO he is better than Thierry Henry was at his Prime, and Torres hasn't reached that yet.

I can't yet agree with that. In his prime Henry was a different breed to any striker of the past twenty or thirty years. He wasn't just a brilliant 30 goal striker, he was also contributing 20 to 30 assists a season. For a striker that is absolutely unreal and Torres is still a few years from reaching that. Henry was the Arsenal team and in his prime, unplayable.