You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it might not be something you'd usually find me banging a drum for, how the fuck is Lampard not on the list? He's no Gerrard, and the system at Chelsea has been historically set up around him, but he still keeps chalking up the goals and helping them out the shit when they need it against smaller teams. Very odd. Van De Sar is a joke nomination as he made about 3 saves in the dozen games they kept clean shets in. All my Manc mates think he's a liability.

Giggs making 11 starts pretty much sums that nomination up.

Deary me. All rather hopeless.

Utterly absurd to have it so early.

Which explains why neither Roy Keane in '99 or Stevie in '05 won it despite leading their club to the CL so had to win it the next year instead.

(The 1999 decision was especially absurd as the Mancs did the treble but they gave it to David fucking Ginola, for services to shampoo???)

In terms of the shortlist, I would imagine it pretty much nails on Gerrard as the winner as the Mancs will split eachother's votes & there are enough people who hate them & will vote for anybody else regardless (as Sir Rog writes)

I thought he was worth it.

It's utterly laughable BUT it also shows the self-fulfilling defeatism of other professionals when they play United - they are just in awe of them. That's why we'll never win the league until Ferguson has gone and other teams actually start TRYING against them (you know who you are, Messrs Moyes and O'Neill).

Um...er...I'm pleased to accept the Young Player of the Year award on behalf of Stephen Ireland. Um...er...he sends his apologies for not being here, but he's had some really bad news. Um...er...His dog died. Um...er...that's the first thing. Um...er...and then his cat fell into a coma, his paternal granny didn't see it and so she tripped over it and fell down the stairs, landing on his maternal granddad, who was holding his pet guinea pig at the time, so that was squashed. Um...er...then his maternal granny came in, saw all the bodies piled up and promptly collapsed. Um...er...then his paternal granddad came back from ASDA with ice-cream treats for all the family, saw the carnage and went berserk, shooting all of Stephen's uncles, aunts and cousins before turning the gun on himself. Um...er...so Stephen's had a bad few days of it. Um...er...plus he's got the Flu. Um...er...

PMSL..:yes:

Its nice to see other teams, espesh yours even considering superman stevie ireland for young player of the year..

He's been awesome all year, just hope he can continue likewise..

niceone folks..

Hangeland? Who's he? He obviously doesn't play for the top 4.

Lampard is also a shocking omission. Michael Turner from Hull also deserves a mention - he was playing for Brentford 3 years ago.

On the plus side, Gerrard will get a vote from every Man Utd player as they can't vote for team mates.

Guest TK-421

I can understand Ferdinand and Vidic as they are the rock upon which their league challenge was built, that run of clean sheets and 1-0 wins, and some crucial goals from Vidic, went a long way to putting them in the position they are in.

I think Rooney has been their best forward player and Carrick their best midfielder.

Here's the actim index top 10 players from the premier leagues own site.

1 Frank Lampard Chelsea 622

2 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 579

3 Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa 534

4 Gareth Barry Aston Villa 507

5 Dimitar Berbatov Man Utd 489

6 Jose Reina Liverpool 480

7 Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 469

8 Jamie Carragher Liverpool 466

9 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 452

10 Cristiano Ronaldo Man Utd 447

Makes interesting reading and you can see why people like Merson would speculate even if they are not really capable.