You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?

• Yes. The islands do not belong to us and we should leave
    • No. The islands are part of the UK and should remain so forever

I wonder why the Argies chose this time? Apart from what Section said about cuts in the forces,them being stretched and smelling blood etc,they must have had some encouragement from another source,usually the US has some sort of hand in it,like an ambassador or military diplomat or something?

Its obvious that if there was a conflict that the UK would 'win' as the UK armed forces are up there with the best when left in charge of their own strategy and i'm sure the Argies know this and when they have a prosperous economy whats the point of jeopardising it even for the oil and mineral resources?

There are shenanigans afoot over there too i believe.

I might be wrong but I thought it came roughly days after the UK didn't vote with that EU bollocks, with those pics of Cameron being shunned by Pepe Le Pew being beamed all around the globe.

Geopolitical actions are carried out by blocks these days aren't they? Rather than individual nations. In the last war the French had sold the Argies most of their best equipment such as the Super Etendard fighter jet and Exocet missiles, but when the war started they stopped providing them with satelite intel because it was a sign of EC solidarity. Interesting also that the Argies chose to take a stand with their own south american trading block by mass banning falkland ships from ports.

It's about testing resolve. The slippery bastards are counter-punchers, they wanted to see what we'd do and we sent a stealth ship, now they've spat their dummy out. They did it last time with the Belgrano, it's what they do - they sneak attack you, you sink their biggest war ship and they call you a gobshite for doing it, they ban your fishing boats - you send a ship to patrol your own waters and they call you provocative.

Sneaky, sniveling, shithouse cunts.

Corned beef hash eating, welsh-speaking cunts.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong but I thought it came roughly days after the UK didn't vote with that EU bollocks, with those pics of Cameron being shunned by Pepe Le Pew being beamed all around the globe.

Geopolitical actions are carried out by blocks these days aren't they? Rather than individual nations. In the last war the French had sold the Argies most of their best equipment such as the Super Etendard fighter jet and Exocet missiles, but when the war started they stopped providing them with satelite intel because it was a sign of EC solidarity. Interesting also that the Argies chose to take a stand with their own south american trading block by mass banning falkland ships from ports.

It's about testing resolve. The slippery bastards are counter-punchers, they wanted to see what we'd do and we sent a stealth ship, now they've spat their dummy out. They did it last time with the Belgrano, it's what they do - they sneak attack you, you sink their biggest war ship and they call you a gobshite for doing it, they ban your fishing boats - you send a ship to patrol your own waters and they call you provocative.

Sneaky, sniveling, shithouse cunts.

Corned beef hash eating, welsh-speaking cunts.

I dont really feel the animosity towards them that you seem to do and i'm quite surprised that someone as intelligent as you has bought into this right wing jingoistic bullshit to be honest.

I do think its all about testing resolve and believe that both sides here have turned a political argument into a humanitarian one.

I'm just really surprised that somebody like you is taking things at face value thats all.

Guest Pistonbroke
I dont really feel the animosity towards them that you seem to do and i'm quite surprised that someone as intelligent as you has bought into this right wing jingoistic bullshit to be honest.

I do think its all about testing resolve and believe that both sides here have turned a political argument into a humanitarian one.

I'm just really surprised that somebody like you is taking things at face value thats all.

People can form their own opinion on a matter without being classed as right wing!! We know that it is not just only about the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands and that other agendas are being looked after. But the inhabitants want to remain under the British sovereignty and have a right to be defended by us. So need to be a jumped up little prick on a soap box.

People can form their own opinion on a matter without being classed as right wing!! We know that it is not just only about the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands and that other agendas are being looked after. But the inhabitants want to remain under the British sovereignty and have a right to be defended by us. So need to be a jumped up little prick on a soap box.

You make "right wing" sound like an accusation. Pray tell.

Mate I could make the counter claim and think some are so convinced of the Tories evil that they're manufactured something here which doesn't exist. (Don't get me wrong, the Tories are evil, but they don't have the organisational skills to manufacture a crisis like this, nor is there any benefit for the regime with a sustained armed conflict - nor are we capable of mounting one)

This is not Daily Mail tubthumping, these are facts - the Argies want the Falklands and they've made provocative moves designed to get what they want. Both the Dauntless and Wills on the other hand, have been long-scheduled deployments.

Antigua and Barbuda deny supporting bar on Falklands flagged vessels — MercoPress

A report in the Antigua Observer states that a statement from the Argentine Ministry of Foreign Affairs said several Caribbean states and Nicaragua announced, last weekend, that they will bar, from their ports, any vessel flying the Falkland Islands flag. The declaration is similar to the Mercosur ban imposed last December.

It quoted Argentine Foreign Affairs Minister Hector Timmerman saying it was significant that all Latin American and Caribbean countries support the “legitimate rights of Argentina over the Malvinas. “Today, Caracas is witness that Malvinas has become a cause of the entire Latin America and the Caribbean and shows Argentina is not alone in its legitimate claims,” Timmerman said.

The announcement which was picked up the media, including the Associated Press (AP), CBS, CNN and Washington Post, caused concern at Antigua-Barbuda and further afield.

In a brief statement issued on Wednesday, the Antigua government sought to disassociate the twin-island nation from the reported decision of ALBA, saying its stance on the 180-year-old dispute between Argentina and Britain over the Falkland Islands is consistent with the Caribbean Community (Caricom).

The release said that position is to advocate for “a peaceful and definitive solution to such dispute, pursuant to the relevant pronouncements of the United Nations Organization (UNO) and of the Organization of American States (OAS).”

Further, the release said, “Antigua and Barbuda has never supported any call for the banning of flagships from any country in the region and therefore disassociates itself from any statement regarding the banning of ships carrying the flag of the Falklands (Malvinas) from entering our ports.”

There was no indication on what steps, if any, the Caribbean island Foreign Affairs Ministry would take to address the reports regionally and internationally.

The release instead referenced the provisions of United Nations General Assembly Resolution No 31/49. That resolution requests the governments of Argentina and the United Kingdom “to consolidate the current process of dialogue and co-operation through the resumption of negotiations in order to find a peaceful solution to the sovereignty dispute as soon as possible.”

The announcement coming out of the ALBA summit contradicted regional reports from the recent UK-Caribbean Forum held in Grenada, which said Caribbean heads of governments and ministers agreed to “to support the principle and the right to self determination for all peoples, including the Falkland Islanders, recognising the historical importance of self-determination in the political development of the Caribbean, and its core status as an internationally agreed principle under the United Nations Charter.”

The ALBA nations include Antigua and Barbuda, Bolivia, Cuba, Dominica, Ecuador, Nicaragua, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Venezuela. Representatives of Haiti, Suriname and St Lucia attended the event as “participant observers”.

Guest Pistonbroke
You make "right wing" sound like an accusation. Pray tell.

I was using the term "Right wing" in replying to what he stated, I am neither right or left in my views, I form my own opinion on a given topic and in this instance Argentina are bang out of order as they were in 1982.

I was using the term "Right wing" in replying to what he stated, I am neither right or left in my views, I form my own opinion on a given topic and in this instance Argentina are bang out of order as they were in 1982.

Fair enough. It's just that "right wing!!" read as a little alarmist.

My apologies.

Guest Pistonbroke
Mind you, if you thought the Argies were band out of order in '82, I reckon you'd get a front row VIP seat at the Tories annual conference at Brighton's Grand Hotel (hopefully without the bomb!):yes:

I hate the Tories and all they stand for, not fond of the Royal family and religion is a load of man made bollocks IMO. Aristocracy pisses me off as does aggressive nationalism. So i'm about as far away from the right wing as possibly could be. I still think the Argentinians were bang out of order and are being so again.

I hate the Tories and all they stand for, not fond of the Royal family and religion is a load of man made bollocks IMO. Aristocracy pisses me off as does aggressive nationalism. So i'm about as far away from the right wing as possibly could be. I still think the Argentinians were bang out of order and are being so again.

Yeah, in my dotage, I'm so-so on all of the above too.

The Falklands are a British overseas territory. If they are under threat we have a duty to defend them. End of story. Nothing right wing about that. If soldiers die defending it, then that is a very sad situation. But this is the precise reason we have armed forces.

I'm still to see a reason why Argentina should have the islands, apart from the fact they are the closest nation to them. Even though they are hundreds of miles away and have never had control of the islands.

We weren't the aggressor in '82 and if it comes to war again, I'm willing to bet we don't start it this time. If they leave the islands alone, nothing will come of it.

Oil!! 1982!! Thatcher!! Right wing!! People will die!! Rinse and repeat. If push comes to shove and they are invaded, what do you think we should do?

If they invade then they have to be defended but in '82 it was just a load of young kids conscripted into the army by a military dictatorship and it was either be shot for desertion or die on the battlefield,not much of a choice there is there?

As for constructive suggestions,the 3000 falklands residents are welcome to come over to the UK and the Falklands can continue being a Military base,Scientific base and home to the oil company workers who will soon move out there,although I would have thought they'd already be there as the last conflict was 30 years ago and I cant understand the delay.

I'm just not prepared to act tough over the risking of other peoples lives and take the same stance I do over Iraq and Afghanistan.

Guest Pistonbroke
If they invade then they have to be defended but in '82 it was just a load of young kids conscripted into the army by a military dictatorship and it was either be shot for desertion or die on the battlefield,not much of a choice there is there?

As for constructive suggestions,the 3000 falklands residents are welcome to come over to the UK and the Falklands can continue being a Military base,Scientific base and home to the oil company workers who will soon move out there,although I would have thought they'd already be there as the last conflict was 30 years ago and I cant understand the delay.

I'm just not prepared to act tough over the risking of other peoples lives and take the same stance I do over Iraq and Afghanistan.

Your constructive suggestion is a load of old bollocks. Tell you what, you move to Estonia because where you live now is to be turned into a dogs home. We don't care how long you have lived in said country and the culture you enjoy. We don't care about family you have buried and the close community ties you have, just get on your bike and hop it.

In “Prince’s Posting in Falklands Revives Ire Before Anniversary” (news article, Feb. 1), you say aides to Argentina’s president have warned that “Argentine forces could mount a new attack to seize the islands.” The repeated calls made by our president, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, to negotiate a peaceful settlement of this sovereignty dispute rules out this reckless assumption.

Argentina inherited the islands from Spain. Britain took them by force in 1833. Argentina has always claimed these islands, which we call the Malvinas, in a peaceful manner. But it was only in 1982 that a military dictatorship tried to recover them by force; this decision was not made by the Argentine people.

The Malvinas conflict left nearly 700 Argentines dead, while during that dictatorship there were 30,000 “disappeared.” My country is currently prosecuting and convicting the perpetrators of these crimes in civilian courts.

After the return to democracy, neither our government nor the people want, nor can they imagine, a situation like that which took place in 1982. Likewise, a diplomatic and peaceful path for the “Malvinas Islands Question” is enshrined in the 1994 Constitution.

JORGE ARGÜELLO

Ambassador of Argentina to the United States

Washington, Feb. 2, 2012

So when are they giving Patagonia which they took by force and ethnically cleansed back to Wales? Our historic claim to Patagonia is enshrined in the Constitution we're about to adopt anytime soon. Hundreds of thousands of us were disappeared by the Normans so we deserve it.

Edited by aws

Somebody negged me,fair enough but then told me to fuck off to Argentina to help them out.

I'm very surprised at that kind of language on here as it veers towards,'Fuck off you(insert country/state or continent from where a large amount of immigrants come from) and go back to your own country.

I find it hypocritical that I'm supposed to hate the Argentinian people because of a few of their politicians are behaving like dicks,imagine if that was the other way round?

Quite ironic that Uruguay also supports Argentina and most of us were defending a famous sportsman of theirs recently against allegations of racism,largely from a 'xenophobic and racist' UK media.