You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Live Topic...

dave u

You may notice that some threads have a 'live topic' icon next to them.

This means that the thread currently has people posting on it, and when you go into the thread any new posts will automatically shpw up on the page without you having to refresh.

For an example as to how it works, click on the TLW Live option in the main menu bar at the top of the page, and you'll see the page just updates itself every time a new post is made on any of the forums.

'Live Topic' works the same way, and it will be especially useful on the long match threads whenever we have a game. It's designed to reduce the load on the server, as it reduces the need for people to keep hitting refresh in order to read new posts on a thread.

So if you're in a thread that is 'live', there's no need to hit refresh, just sit back and wait for new posts to appear.

I believe there are some issues with certain browsers, including an older version of Internet Explorer, but if anyone has any questions, or if it isn't working for you, post in this thread and let me know.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the main reason I installed it. It's perfect for those threads, and will help the server load problem (it won't fix it completely, but I've taken other measures to try and do that anyway).

We won't know how successful it been until the next game.

Could it cope with the match thread for the last league game of the season? We need to win the match to win the league and Keane scores a hat trick to put Spurs 3 up with 20 minutes to go. We would now be up to page 100 in the match thread. Mostly consisting of how Rafa is a cunt and should be sacked before the game has finished. Then The Chief pulls one back immediately. Gerrard pulls up and is replaced by Lucas. Torres pulls up and is replaced by Ngog (Keane looks over to the Liverpool bench and pisses himself laughing). Kuyt (after having an absolute stinker, hits a twenty yarder into the top corner (when all he was trying to do was trap the ball) and the back pages are put on hold. There are 5 minutes to go when Lucas curls in a free kick (having watched a "learn how to play like a Brazillian" DVD the previous evening) and people in the lower centenary still head for the exits. Ngog is put through on goal by a sublime pass from Kuyt (another piece of control gone wrong) and cudicini moves early and leaves the youngster with an open goal. He collects the rebound off the post and taps in with the last kick of the game. Keane finds his brother in the crowd, and hands him his league winners medal.

Could the server cope with a match thread that included all that Dave?

Could it cope with the match thread for the last league game of the season? We need to win the match to win the league and Keane scores a hat trick to put Spurs 3 up with 20 minutes to go. We would now be up to page 100 in the match thread. Mostly consisting of how Rafa is a cunt and should be sacked before the game has finished. Then The Chief pulls one back immediately. Gerrard pulls up and is replaced by Lucas. Torres pulls up and is replaced by Ngog (Keane looks over to the Liverpool bench and pisses himself laughing). Kuyt (after having an absolute stinker, hits a twenty yarder into the top corner (when all he was trying to do was trap the ball) and the back pages are put on hold. There are 5 minutes to go when Lucas curls in a free kick (having watched a "learn how to play like a Brazillian" DVD the previous evening) and people in the lower centenary still head for the exits. Ngog is put through on goal by a sublime pass from Kuyt (another piece of control gone wrong) and cudicini moves early and leaves the youngster with an open goal. He collects the rebound off the post and taps in with the last kick of the game. Keane finds his brother in the crowd, and hands him his league winners medal.

Could the server cope with a match thread that included all that Dave?

You reminded me of how much of a twat I think Keane is now. And to think, I felt sorry for the lad.

PS. Great stuff Dave.

I've disabled it for now, as I noticed the server load creeping up and want to see if this is the reason. I'm just going to keep an eye on the server load for a bit, and might put it back on later to see how it goes.

Might just be a case of some settings need tweaking, but I want to be sure first.

How long does a live topic have to be dormant before it becomes a dead topic?

I can set that to whatever I like. The default is 300 seconds, but I'm not sure if thats 300 seconds between posts, or 300 seconds with no users on that thread. I need to read up on that again.

Yep, it's defo putting the server load up. I put it back for five minutes just then, and the server load went up to 10 from 0.73 when it was switched off.

And this is during a quiet time. If I put this on during a match it would put the server load through the roof. I need to look into it a bit more before switching it back on.

You reminded me of how much of a twat I think Keane is now. And to think, I felt sorry for the lad.

PS. Great stuff Dave.

I dont think he is mate. He would only be doing what Carra did with his 2001 Charity Shield Medal as he was only a late sub if memory serves me correctly. He said he did that because he didnt feel part of the win.

I dont think he is mate. He would only be doing what Carra did with his 2001 Charity Shield Medal as he was only a late sub if memory serves me correctly. He said he did that because he didnt feel part of the win.
And Carra pulled out all the stops when he realised he'd fucked up and got his medal back.

I see the dodgy text is back.

Being a late sub isn't really the same as making 20 odd appearances in a season- most being starts.

If he's as big a Liverpool fan as he claims he is/was and he's worked so hard while he was here why is he willing to give up a League medal, the clubs first for 19 years no less, so easily?

I thought it was just an absoloutely classless comment which many people ignored because they were too busy calling Rafa a cunt for selling him.