You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crouch calls Benitez's bluff in bid to secure a cut-price move away from Liverpool

StevieH

I'd like to know what Rafa's got against him, myself. In his first season he couldn't score for love nor money for the first few months, Rafa stuck with him, he then starts scoring a lot of goals and Rafa starts dropping him. I'd like to know why, and don't tell me it's cos Torres is better, I know that, but Torres wasn't here in the '06/'07 season.As for Crouchy, he needs to realise when he comes out with shite like "I need to play regularly to keep my England place", that, if it wasn't for LFC and Rafa he wouldn't be playing for England anyway.
I think at round about the same time Crouch started getting a bit Billy big time, releasing an autobiography, supermodel girlfriend, robot dancing for Prince William etc and it got up Rafa's nose a bit. He hasn't really had a long run of games since then.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, he's on the offensive. I liked big P and do feel he's been on the receiving end a bit, but there were times last season when he was given a chance and didn't really look interested.

Nothing against him as apparently he's a nice fella but as a club we really need to make an example of someone, otherwise we'll get another McManaman, Owen situation. If we can afford to do it then we should call his bluff.

Rafa says Peter if you sign a new contract then you are in my plans if you don't then you need to go elsewhere, the price is X if you choose to sit out your contract then that's fine but you won't be getting a game, you will be training with the youth team but you won't be playing.

If you don't like that then buy you contract out now but don't be telling the press that you weren't told you were part of the plan or that you were not offered a new contract. Also once you buy out your contract be well aware almost all clubs dislike it and the fans will turn on you. Good luck with Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Barca or whichever massive team you're going to, oh, pompy, er yeah good luck with that.

Spot on.

I'd bet my left bollock that Crouch is pissed off about being overlooked earlier in the season, pre-4-2-3-1, as opposed to not getting a game due to Torres.

I'm certain of it.

I'd bet your right bollock that Crouch acting pissed off was probably one of the reasons Rafa was overlooking him. Instead of fighting to get in the team, he may have been moaning a bit and acting a bit half-arsed in training. All a bit of conjecture on my part really, but it would make sense.

It's a shame to see this playing out in public as well - never reflects well on a player I don't think.

The balls firmly in his court. He can do whatever, and he's doing nothing wrong.

Really? Owen and McManaman still get shit loads of grief on here for doing similar things, and they were way better players for us than Crouch. Maybe big Pete’s just a bit more likeable cos he looks funny.

That aside, having this sort of thing play out in the press never reflects well on a player, in my opinion.

It's obvious Rafa (and the club) are going to sell him because he wants to go, and are just making noises to try and get the best fee. He, or his agent, just looks a bit cuntish by threatening this in the papers in my opinion. It would be the same for players coming to us as well. By all means do it behind closed doors in negotiations, but in public makes you look an attention seeking twat.

Wasnt it said that his attitude upon becoming an england regular stank and that what rafa didnt like of him?

If he wants to sit out his contract with us, let him sit in the stands for the season then.

it was said - by know-nothing idiots. And he's sat in the stands or on the bench for most of this season, so no change there.

Really? Owen and McManaman still get shit loads of grief on here for doing similar things, and they were way better players for us than Crouch. Maybe big Pete’s just a bit more likeable cos he looks funny.

That aside, having this sort of thing play out in the press never reflects well on a player, in my opinion.

It's obvious Rafa (and the club) are going to sell him because he wants to go, and are just making noises to try and get the best fee. He, or his agent, just looks a bit cuntish by threatening this in the papers in my opinion. It would be the same for players coming to us as well. By all means do it behind closed doors in negotiations, but in public makes you look an attention seeking twat.

I think he's frustrated that the fee Rafa's slapped on him, depsite not playing him in key games where he would have made a difference, is ridiculous, and is preventing serious offers coming in. He wants to play regular football, and Rafa asking 15million for a player who is behind Voronin in the pecking order is madness. For him, sitting on the bench or in the stands next year wouldn't be any different from last season. In fact, he'll probably get fitter as he might get a run out with the ressies on a saturday instead of being stuck on the bench.

Crouch and Torres are the only forwards at the club whose values have gone up. Imagine trying to get back what we paid for Babel and Kuyt, no fucking chance.

I think he's frustrated that the fee Rafa's slapped on him, depsite not playing him in key games where he would have made a difference, is ridiculous, and is preventing serious offers coming in. He wants to play regular football, and Rafa asking 15million for a player who is behind Voronin in the pecking order is madness. For him, sitting on the bench or in the stands next year wouldn't be any different from last season. In fact, he'll probably get fitter as he might get a run out with the ressies on a saturday instead of being stuck on the bench.

Crouch and Torres are the only forwards at the club whose values have gone up. Imagine trying to get back what we paid for Babel and Kuyt, no fucking chance.

I don't believe that Rafa has slapped a 15m price tag on him. Not really. he has basically told everyone he is available and not to expect to get him cheap. I can't imagine Rafa expecting any more than 10 though.

I don't believe that Rafa has slapped a 15m price tag on him. Not really. he has basically told everyone he is available and not to expect to get him cheap. I can't imagine Rafa expecting any more than 10 though.

I agree with that, but you don't have to slap a 15 million price tag on someone in order to receive 10. This is the premier league, not a souk.

I agree with that, but you don't have to slap a 15 million price tag on someone in order to receive 10. This is the premier league, not a souk.

Likewise you don't moan about it and threaten to run your contract down in the papers if you want to don't want to look like a bit of a twat.

I'm not condoning Crouch's behaviour, but I do believe Benitez's behaviour re Crouch has been poor and less than honest.

In what way? By telling the media he is 'valued' at 15m?

Not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist over this.

Babel?

If we sell him now we will get more than what we paid for him, hes just 21 and far more talented than 2 crouch's standing on top of one and other...

Get a grip ffs.

In what way? By telling the media he is 'valued' at 15m?

Not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist over this.

No. By telling the press that Crouch is in his plans, yet wilfully excluding him when the game is crying out for the impact Crouch can bring - and excluding him from the squad, dropping him after he's played really well etc etc. I'm not the only one who believes Rafa has an issue with a player who has a good scoring record this year.

The sooner Crouch goes, the better for all concerned I think.

No. By telling the press that Crouch is in his plans, yet wilfully excluding him when the game is crying out for the impact Crouch can bring - and excluding him from the squad, dropping him after he's played really well etc etc. I'm not the only one who believes Rafa has an issue with a player who has a good scoring record this year.

Right. Yeah, I agree. But I don't think its been dishonesty, I think he's just judged those team selections badly.

See, I don't get this point of view at all. Rafa has shown countless times he's a pragmatic bastard and does what he thinks is best for the team. He's not like fucking Graeme Souness who falls out with everyone. He played Cisse often enough, even though it was obvious he didn't like him as a player, when he thought his qualities (ie pace, crazyness) might be useful. He played Bellamy after the golf incident. Likewise he changed the formation against Arsenal to include Crouch when we'd been playing well with the one up front.

What could this mysterious "issue" be with Crouch at the start of this season, during which, god forbid, Voronin got not quite as many games?

See, I don't get this point of view at all. Rafa has shown countless times he's a pragmatic bastard and does what he thinks is best for the team. He's not like fucking Graeme Souness who falls out with everyone. He played Cisse often enough, even though it was obvious he didn't like him as a player, when he thought his qualities (ie pace, crazyness) might be useful. He played Bellamy after the golf incident. Likewise he changed the formation against Arsenal to include Crouch when we'd been playing well with the one up front.

What could this mysterious "issue" be with Crouch at the start of this season, during which, god forbid, Voronin got not quite as many games?

I'd agree with you if the evidence supported it, but not playing Crouch in games where he patently would be useful (CL final anyone) was either a massive error in judgement or a massive 'fuck off' hint.

He first played Crouch against Arsenal to give Torres a rest, I reckon. Which is fine.

Hopefully this will all sort itself out with a summer move at the right price (likely £8-10M). The £15M this is Rafa trying it on, since everyone wants the maximum if they sell, but I'm sure Rafa knows he won't get anything like that amount.

I hope he is able to move on without mouthing off in the press. If he gives it the bleeding heart stuff to the press then he will go right down in my book. As it stands, he has done nothing that warrants stick, since he just wanted to keep his options open by not signing a new deal yet as he can't be sure of where he stands in the manager's plans, and that is fair enough.

Now that we are at this point, to sit tight for a Bosman would be as stubborn as Rafa insisting on the full £15M. Neither will happen, and I suspect a deal to be done at around the £8-10M mark.

I think Crouch will never play on a higher stage than LFC, so he has been lucky that Rafa signed him. It also took him an age to get off the mark and Rafa backed him throughout. When Crouch started to hit the net regularly we were all pleased. Along the way he has suffered more than most from being rotated, then latterly, from falling into Torres' shadow (no disgrace in that, since I can't think of a better striker than Nando). The one thing I think Crouch hasn't done well is really fight hard for a spot when he got a game/chance this past season. I can understand his frustration, but at the same time, he should have busted a gut when he got on that pitch for us. My memory is that sometimes he did, but other times (too many times) he seemed to be going through the motions.

It is best for all parties to draw a line under this now, with the outcome being a move, at something like the price I mentioned above. If Crouch manages to go without rocking the boat via the press, then he will go with my best wishes, with happy memories such as the Arsenal hat-trick being uppermost in my mind. If he leaves with a sting in the tail (i.e. some sort of dodgy interview that disparages the manager/club) then I won't be happy with him at all. At that point, in my eyes, he would be revealing himself as a player who got a bit too big for his boots and was rightly shown the door.

Over to you, big Crouchy. Do the right thing and go, but graciously.

"I'll have to speak to the manager and see what his plans are. I need to see him and sort things out. I have to find out what he wants from me next season and whether or not I can continue with that. In some ways, I want to feel wanted.

"So I'd like to speak to the manager and the club before I commit to anything and know whether or not I'll be here next year."

Benitez has said that Crouch was offered a new deal midway through this season but the player insisted contract talks amounted to an informal "five-minute chat".

And that's 'mouthing off'?

Crouch has barely been a bit-part for 2 seasons now and he's not happy with that. And why the hell should he be? He has, on the whole, played well when he's been on the pitch and has scored some fine goals yet Rafa will barely play him. Indeed will play Voronin ahead of him.

I don't blame Crouch for being unhappy and for saying so. For some reason Rafa has a downer on him and it's clear that Crouch has to go elsewhere if he's going to get regular football. To have such a large price tag placed on him is going to impede that move so, again, he's got a right to be pissed off.

What is it with some fans? You're too bloody precious and wilt at the suggestion that someone has not spoken glowingly about LFC. I'd wager that Crouch would love to stay here and play - but not as a bit-part. He knows he won't go to a bigger club but it shows professionalism that he is willing to take a step down so he can play football, rather than just take the money. Just let the player go without slagging him off on the way out. And get a life.

Sound slike you still don't understand hopw Rafa works.

Crouch may have been in RAfa's plans, however his attitude may have changed that.

I have seen too much of Crouch in the press this year about how he is not in the team. He could learn a lot from Jermaine Pennant and the attitude he has displayed.

If Rafa has offered him a contract and he has refused to sign it then it is his own fault. If he is not going to commit his future at a time when he is in the managers plans, then he should not be picked in my opinion. Which is a shame as Peter Crouch on his day is unplayable, also a shame that he is not good enough to be able to raise his game as much as she should and prove to Rafa that he has the right attitude and can cement his palce in the match day squad.