You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carvalho: Next season will be a fresh start for me at Liverpool

image.jpeg

Fabio Carvalho has a clear mindset to restart his Liverpool career in the best possible fashion.

The 21 year-old came to Liverpool last season as an exciting talent who was looking to follow the footsteps of fellow Fulham academy graduate Harvey Elliott.

But after a promising start, things quickly turned for the Portuguese U21 international as he was barely sighted in the second half of the season in what was a difficult campaign for all involved with the club.

image.jpeg

There was no major injury cited for the absence of the attacking midfielder leading to the suspicion that he had not adapted to the gameplan of Jurgen Klopp.

It has been a regular occurrence for new signings to take their time to find their feet in the tenure of the German and once they do it is full steam ahead,  but this was the opposite, a significant regression after a encouraging beginning which made it all the frustrating for all concerned.

Then there was the awkward pre-season awkward interview after joining RB Leipzig on loan when he said,   "I don’t really speak to him to be fair. He (Klopp) didn’t really give me any advice. I just had to learn as I go, and I feel that is better for me to mature anyway, both as a person and a footballer.”

He later clarified that by saying  “I didn’t speak to him about coming to RB Leipzig. There was a bit of a misunderstanding.”

But that set the tone for a nightmarish half-season stint in Germany where in 15 appearances he did not register a goal nor an assist.

image.jpeg

But it has been a much happier time for Carvalho back in England at Hull City where along with Liverpool teammate Tyler Morton, they have had the Yorkshire side battling tooth and nail with West Brom to clinch the last playoff spot, a fight that will go to the last game of the season. The Baggies currently have the odds in their favour only needing a draw at home to Preston today to clinch the last spot.

Carvalho has played a major role in the playoff push with nine goals and two assists in just 19 appearances spoke to the Echo (before Arne Slot was heavily linked to become the new manager) that he is looking forward to returning to his parent club and pushing for a first team spot.

“The way I see it, it’s a fresh start. Not just for me, but obviously whoever comes in.

“It’ll be a fresh start for me, and for the likes of Tyler as well. We’ve just got to take the chances that come. Really grasp it and take it with both hands.

“Obviously I want to break into the Liverpool first-team squad, into the starting XI as well. For now, I’m focused on Hull City and getting promoted. I’m going to see how pre-season turns out and then we’ll make a decision (on my future) after that.”

While being focused on his task at hand, Carvalho has been delighted with the progress of the youngsters who have not looked out of place one bit when given their first team opportunity.

“Seeing the academy players coming through, and a lot of them on the pitch when Virgil scored the goal ( in the Carabao Cup final), all of them celebrating together, it’s what football is about to be fair. You’ve got the experienced players and the new, fresh blood celebrating together and celebrating the title.

“They’re a credit to themselves, and it’s a credit to the coaches and the senior players already at the club who have taken them under their wings - the same as they did with me last year.”

Carvalho knows fate could have dealt him a better hand and he could have been there celebrating with his teamates on the hallowed Wembley surface.

But he is focused on writing his own chapter.

image.jpeg

“Maybe if I was there, I would have been playing. “But I’m playing here (at Hull City) and that’s all that matters.

“There’s been a few highs, but a few lows as well (at Liverpool). It’s been a learning curve. It’s all about learning, it’s all about improving.

“We’ve got the players I can learn from, the facilities, the coaches. I’m just excited for the future. It’s not been great (so far), but in a way, that’s a good thing, depending on how you look at it. It can only get better.”

View full article

As good as he's been when I've seen him at Hull I don't think he ever makes it here. Deserves s chance in preseason but I don't think he has the pace,strength or workrate for a top team. He'll have a good career either way

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

As good as he's been when I've seen him at Hull I don't think he ever makes it here. Deserves s chance in preseason but I don't think he has the pace,strength or workrate for a top team. He'll have a good career either way

Totally agree.

Hull fans don't seem to rate him that highly, goes missing in too long a spell in games.....attitude isn't right and doesn't want to fight for the ball etc. which is what we saw when he was here.

10 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Hull fans don't seem to rate him that highly, goes missing in too long a spell in games.....attitude isn't right and doesn't want to fight for the ball etc. which is what we saw when he was here.

He was a strange buy given how much Klopp values personality and character in the face of adversity. Carvalho seems the opposite.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was a strange buy given how much Klopp values personality and character in the face of adversity. Carvalho seems the opposite.

It's another 1 of those data analysis buys from the recruitment guys, I don't think Klopp has much of a say what youngsters are bought in. They saw the best player in the championship a few years ago for a modest fee as being worth a punt, and we probably will profit from his sale.

25 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Well yeah, he's a short 10/attacker who does nothing else but pop up with goals from time to time. He just doesn't seem made for the high level. Nebbish.

53 minutes ago, Binomial said:

He wasn’t even that good yesterday. He looked like a Hull academy player getting a run out last game of the season. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He wasn’t even that good yesterday. He looked like a Hull academy player getting a run out last game of the season. 

His passing stats were awful, 21/30 passes for someone who plays the full 90 is horrific.

He & Morton will both struggle to stake a claim under Slot, 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Yes they did. Hull were playing for a playoff spot. 

They had a six goal swing to overcome, didn't they?

Carvalho was an affordable gamble, had a good season in the Championship with Fulham, loads of potential. He just seemed to think he was ahead of where he was. He's a good player and could still have an excellent career. Starting to think his Liverpool may have peaked with the Newcastle goal, though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Portugal or the Netherlands next season.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

They had a six goal swing to overcome, didn't they?

Carvalho was an affordable gamble, had a good season in the Championship with Fulham, loads of potential. He just seemed to think he was ahead of where he was. He's a good player and could still have an excellent career. Starting to think his Liverpool may have peaked with the Newcastle goal, though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Portugal or the Netherlands next season.

I’ve nothing against the lad, I love to see kids come through and succeed. He was shite yesterday though against a piss poor Argyle side completely lacking in confidence. 

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Would that be your attitude if that was us? 

They needed to rely on Preston beating West Brom, that was never going to happen.

Preston had been really poor since the beginning of April, only won against relegated Huddersfield.

Looks to me their season finished weeks a go, it would be rather fanciful to expect them to beat West Brom away.

IMG_0771.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Code said:

They needed to rely on Preston beating West Brom, that was never going to happen.

Preston had been really poor since the beginning of April, only won against relegated Huddersfield.

Looks to me their season finished weeks a go, it would be rather fanciful to expect them to beat West Brom away.

IMG_0771.jpeg

7 of the bottom 8 sides were all winning mid way through the second half yesterday, nothing was off the table. 

I repeat, would accept that attitude if it was Liverpool?