You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Fulham 1 Liverpool 3 - Match Reaction

The Reds season is still alive after a much needed win at Fulham got their title challenge back on track. Goals from Trent, Gravenberch and Jota sunk the Cottagers in what was a more comfortable win than many expected.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Julian Richards and Dan Thomas to look back on this game as well as previewing the midweek trip to Goodison. There's also a heated discussion on refs, VAR, Forest's bizarre statement and the impact officiating has had on this year's Premier League.

View full article

• Upvote 9

• dave u pinned this topic

Half way through the Podcast.

I didn't feel much different after the game either to be honest. Hollywood endings aside (and some Hollywood endings end up with everything going to shit as well). It's really difficult to focus on the maths and the what ifs, when we've had a number of examples where the maths hasn't come about nor have the what ifs. 

Even if we win all our games, there is a reasonable chance we won't win the league

Even if City and Arsenal drop points, there is a reasonable chance we will drop points

I'm quite philosophical about the situation mainly because I never thought we would do it, granted I hoped it wouldn't be because we have fallen off a cliff but never thought it was ours to win.

One question I've asked myself however which makes me wonder is that if you hadn't had your heart broken so many times, who is to say it won't work, just one time. 

Fuck knows where I'm going with that one. 

35 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

1) What’s the NBA Netflix documentary you were talking about called?

2) You’ve mentioned this Oliver saying he’s not going to the monitor thing a few times, where did you hear that?

He heard it from Richard Keys.

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

He heard it from Richard Keys.

He's said it multiple times and it's never been refuted. And it is a fact that Oliver hasn't been sent to the monitor in years since that time he stuck with his original decision and saw his arse about having his judgement questioned. 

• Upvote 1

Saw something the other day with a former PL ref doing a podcast and he was telling a story about how Ian Wright pissed him off so he decided to not give him any free-kicks. The opposition realised what was going on and started booting fuck out of Wrighty while he kept saying play on. He thought it was really funny, I just thought "yeah, this is the same shit that's been happening to Mo for years".

• Upvote 4

And where can I hear more of these Welsh movie reviews?  My Welsh wife is interested

EDIT - I mean movies reviewed in a Welsh accent as opposed to movies about Wales as they are shit ones usually about a shit cinema or a shit hill

I’ve finished it now. So now I know why @Pidge posted the Lawrence gif. 

The ref chat was both funny, and interesting. The idea a referee can’t be subconsciously affected and maybe stall on giving something dependent on his biases seems very unlikely, so I agree with Dave. Likening Carra stopping being an Everton fan to a referee not being a big fan of a team just doesn’t add up as it’s entirely different. Human nature says that you may, even inadvertently, be biased against a team dependent on any number of issues. I don’t think it’s as serious or extreme as Dave was hinting at, but I also don’t think it’s a zero issue. 

Great chat though. And really nice that Dan could head out halfway through and play an innings and it not be noticed.  

• Upvote 1

Keith Hackett said today when he was head of refs (and before that when he was just a ref) it was standard policy to find out who every ref supported and ensure they didn't referee their own team or any local rival. Then when it reached the business end of the season, they made sure none of them were involved in games that could impact the team they support. Jeff Winter has also said the same thing about when he reffed. 

Hackett says this has been kicked into touch by Howard Webb.

All of these issues we're seeing are his fault. A football team reflects their manager, and these PGMOL meffs are a reflection of their boss. He's taken something shit and made it a million times worse because he thinks he's not accountable to anyone and can do whatever the fuck he likes.

So far, he's actually right.

• Upvote 3

At the risk of repeating myself, referees need to be made obsolete. We literally have all the tech to fuck them & human controlled VAR off. Gone. Just fuck off so we can get back to THEEEE most accurate instantaneous decisions possible. 

• dave u unpinned this topic