You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Something Fishy about Rishi

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The wonderful world of privatisation vol 758.

awaits a certain poster to say if he'd have shopped around he could have travelled for 10 bob.

Thought you didn’t mention me? 

As for rail, I think it should be nationalised. Labour are going to nationalise it. 

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Thought you didn’t mention me? 

As for rail, I think it should be nationalised. Labour are going to nationalise it. 

I think it’s better in public ownership too

Cant see Labour taking it on though.

No public money to invest in it and every dispute , safety issue and poor service problem would bounce right back to the government. The Tories would have a field day 

14 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think it’s better in public ownership too

Cant see Labour taking it on though.

No public money to invest in it and every dispute , safety issue and poor service problem would bounce right back to the government. The Tories would have a field day 

That’s not how bringing rail back into public hands will work though. It’s just not renewing contracts. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s not how bringing rail back into public hands will work though. It’s just not renewing contracts. 

Not so sure the mechanism matters , it will still become Labours problem .

Just the headline issue of the cost of a ticket would cost billions to subsidise.

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Not so sure the mechanism matters , it will still become Labours problem .

Just the headline issue of the cost of a ticket would cost billions to subsidise.

I get what you're saying, but in this case it actually does matter because the franchise system is being scrapped and replaced by short term agreements. When they end, it defaults back to being a nationalised industry. Labour just wont hand out any more contracts, so it won't cost anything to buy. From there, it's not really a cost of subsidy, even if they ran it exactly the same way then it would still be cheaper because profits aren't required or can be used to make tickets cheaper. What Labour need to show is that it can be done well. A lot of the arguments against nationalised industries are that some have been poorly run and are more expensive. It actually doesn't need to be like that at all. It can be well run, more cost effective, and a better service. It's just about getting it right. 

• Upvote 1

The toilets on the Avanti trains (old virgin pendolinos) fucking stink. It's putrid even in the carriages either side of the toilet. I remember latched bogs on the old British Rail trains with a broken flusher and someone's log sat there smelling better than these fuckers. 

Oy Rishi, clean the shitters 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The toilets on the Avanti trains (old virgin pendolinos) fucking stink. It's putrid even in the carriages either side of the toilet. I remember latched bogs on the old British Rail trains with a broken flusher and someone's log sat there smelling better than these fuckers. 

Oy Rishi, clean the shitters 

I think it's an issue with the bogs on the Pendolino's mate. They've stunk since Virgin brought them into service 15 years ago or whatever it is.

It's not something I think they'll ever bother spending the money on fixing now even if they're renationalised as the rolling stick is too old.

7 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I think it's an issue with the bogs on the Pendolino's mate. They've stunk since Virgin brought them into service 15 years ago or whatever it is.

It's not something I think they'll ever bother spending the money on fixing now even if they're renationalised as the rolling stick is too old.

Yes mate, the issue is they are fucking putrid. Kind of smell that gives you a headache. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes mate, the issue is they are fucking putrid. Kind of smell that gives you a headache. 

I read up on it mate, its a design issue they've supposed to have fixed at least twice but it never gets any better. If Environmental Health had any teeth in the transport sector something may be done, but I doubt it.

They are fucking minging though, it's the kind of smell you get driving with your windows open past a sewage treatment plant on a hot day, fecking awful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

It already does.

There was a study years ago that showed that each passenger mile of the UK's privatised rail system costs the taxpayer three times as much (in real terms) as nationalised rail did.

The public money that leaches out of the system in dividends, bonuses, legal fees and other costs of wasteful competition could be reinvested in better services and more affordable fares.

26 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I read up on it mate, its a design issue they've supposed to have fixed at least twice but it never gets any better. If Environmental Health had any teeth in the transport sector something may be done, but I doubt it.

They are fucking minging though, it's the kind of smell you get driving with your windows open past a sewage treatment plant on a hot day, fecking awful.

Scruffy twats. Another example of how little they give a fuck about us. 

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I get what you're saying, but in this case it actually does matter because the franchise system is being scrapped and replaced by short term agreements. When they end, it defaults back to being a nationalised industry. Labour just wont hand out any more contracts, so it won't cost anything to buy. From there, it's not really a cost of subsidy, even if they ran it exactly the same way then it would still be cheaper because profits aren't required or can be used to make tickets cheaper. What Labour need to show is that it can be done well. A lot of the arguments against nationalised industries are that some have been poorly run and are more expensive. It actually doesn't need to be like that at all. It can be well run, more cost effective, and a better service. It's just about getting it right. 

Thanks for the info. Happy to admit I'm not that clued up on the detailed workings of the franchise structure.  

• Upvote 1