You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

Just now, Rico1304 said:

My point is Octopus and Bulb have only ever had one year of profit between them.  Energy retail isn’t a cash cow, it’s the opposite.  

Ah OK. I knew bulb were fucked but I thought Octopus were doing well.  Admittedly I don't know as much as our resident expert on energy suppliers (dockers).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They lost £141m last year.  

Ha.  

As I said "thought". Its not my game. 

Anyway to the untrained eye it seems Octopus are playing the long game. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/01/octopus-says-it-chose-to-ditch-profit-to-keep-energy-bills-down

As an aside. I moved from British Gas to Octopus and I find them OK on the whole. They're certainly better than British Gas.

30 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Wtf is this GB news correspondent cunt Tom Harwood doing on Politics live defending  Shell's obscene profits , the BBC are a fucking disgrace 

The BBC gave him a platform when he was an unknown scrot making the tea for that Scum journo bastard Guido Fawkes.

Just tear the whole fucking thing down, it is completely obvious that the entire fucking industry is not fit for purpose. Saw a thing on Sky news that a minister had previously “urged” companies not to force fit these pre payment meters. You’re the Government for fuck sake, don’t “urge” them fucking order them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

This old chestnut. I think I’ve explained it about 5 times over the years. It’s really not difficult to understand but journalists continue to make a big thing about it as it whips up the morons. 

On 02/02/2023 at 10:39, Gnasher said:

As I said "thought". Its not my game. 

Anyway to the untrained eye it seems Octopus are playing the long game. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/01/octopus-says-it-chose-to-ditch-profit-to-keep-energy-bills-down

As an aside. I moved from British Gas to Octopus and I find them OK on the whole. They're certainly better than British Gas.

+1 for Octopus. I think they are one of the few suppliers who havent jacked up people's DD by obscene amounts.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

And the good news just keeps rolling in. The Disco continues in full swing.

Not only that, they've decided to cut back on climate pledges and ramp up oil and gas production for the next seven years. Profiteering off the back of ordinary people in the midst of a war and climate emergency, and at the arse end of a pandemic, all because certain governments won't even look at taxing even the excess profits.

On 02/02/2023 at 09:15, Rico1304 said:

95% of those profits are outside the U.K. and they are paying 75% tax.  I’d rather the money went to them than your mates in Russia.  

That's bullshit and you know it.

They get all the tax back in grants and subsidies. They literally pay fuck all

On 02/02/2023 at 07:38, Tj hooker said:

Wtf is this GB news correspondent cunt Tom Harwood doing on Politics live defending  Shell's obscene profits , the BBC are a fucking disgrace 

Shell’s board of directors are being personally sued over their alleged failure to properly manage risks associated with the climate crisis.

The lawsuit says the British oil giant’s 11 directors have breached their legal duties under the UK’s Companies Act by failing to bring their climate strategy in line with the Paris Agreement.

Environmental law charity ClientEarth, which filed the lawsuit, says it is the first case in the world that looks to hold corporate directors personally responsible for failing to prepare for the energy transition.

“Shell may be making record profits now due to the turmoil of the global energy market, but the writing is on the wall for fossil fuels long term,” says Paul Benson, a senior lawyer at ClientEarth.

“The shift to a low-carbon economy is not just inevitable, it’s already happening.”

But the Shell board is persisting with a transition strategy that is “fundamentally flawed,” Benson claims. He says it leaves the company seriously exposed to the risks climate change poses to their success in the future - “despite the board’s legal duty to manage those risks”.

ClientEarth filed the first of its kind climate case at the High Court of England and Wales in its capacity as a shareholder.

The legal claim also has the backing of institutional investors and pension funds who together own over 12 million of Shell’s 7 billion shares. These investors include pension funds like Nest - the UK’s largest workplace pension scheme - and London CIV in the UK and Swedish national pension fund AP3.