You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who would you rather see get back together, The Smiths or The Jam?

Bjornebye

The Smiths or The Jam?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths or The Jam?

22 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The reason I didn't like was that I hate the type of boring pop stuff they mostly did. I like the up tempo stuff the Jam mostly did and hated the slow stuff the Style Council mostly did. The lyrics might have been deep etc but unless you tie them to a good melody they don't work,in my view.

Boring? Amazing. Compare them to the pop at that time and especially the pop of now, and they were hugely eclectic, forward thinking and stealth “fuck the Tories”*.

They didn’t sound like any other band, even though their influences were clear, and their arrangements were hugely complex. Weller is always st his best when he ploughs his own furrow, no matter what anyone else - the media, his fans or even his fellow band mates - think: ATCM’s Motown influence; the whole SC era, but especially the overtly pop, jazz, house and ballad bits; the folk influences of Wildwood; the waltz and chamber music stuff on 23 Dreams. 

Weller might be many, many things, but boring is emphatically not one. 

*Awaits someone mentioning Weller’s media baiting. 

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I find Weller solo boring as fuck myself. Just my taste though. 

Stanley Road is boss. My mum (Of all people) got me his latest album on Vinyl for xmas. Struggling with it. 

59 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Jesus fucking christ. 

Dave 

Good thread this but it was lacking a few tunes. Lighten up stig. Lighten up and let the light shine through. Coz we all shine on.  Until...of course 

Lights go out and a  kick in the balls 

17 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good thread this but it was lacking a few tunes. Lighten up stig. Lighten up and let the light shine through. Coz we all shine on.  Until...of course 

Lights go out and a  kick in the balls 

And that's entertainment 

Brendan Rodgers  (i like brendan, gets a bad rap imo) called to say this thread is lacking just that wee little bit of music; otherwise he thinks  its magnificent.  So here you go. 

The Smiths first single. And its also a cracker. Not in my opinion as good as the jams first single but i dont think any thing would be. 

38 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Brendan Rodgers  (i like brendan, gets a bad rap imo) called to say this thread is lacking just that wee little bit of music; otherwise he thinks  its magnificent.  So here you go. 

The Smiths first single. And its also a cracker. Not in my opinion as good as the jams first single but i dont think any thing would be. 

From rolling stone: 

One of the classic debut singles in rock & roll history, up there with the Beatles’ “Love Me Do” – another Fab Four of Northern boys introducing themselves with an out-of-nowhere harmonica solo. In the rigidly closeted rock scene of the Eighties, the gay bravado of “Hand in Glove” was revolutionary, right down to the plea, “Stay on my arm, you little charmer.” It was raw realness – like the blasé way the couple assume they’ll get assaulted by passers-by, a fact of queer life everywhere at the time. Like David Bowie’s “Heroes,” it’s two lovers on the street, who might never see each other again, but their kiss is a valiant stand against a hostile world. And you can hear the whole band’s excitement.

Best line: “If the people stare, then the people stare / I really don’t know and I really don’t care.”

13 hours ago, Paul said:

Boring? Amazing. Compare them to the pop at that time and especially the pop of now, and they were hugely eclectic, forward thinking and stealth “fuck the Tories”*.

They didn’t sound like any other band, even though their influences were clear, and their arrangements were hugely complex. Weller is always st his best when he ploughs his own furrow, no matter what anyone else - the media, his fans or even his fellow band mates - think: ATCM’s Motown influence; the whole SC era, but especially the overtly pop, jazz, house and ballad bits; the folk influences of Wildwood; the waltz and chamber music stuff on 23 Dreams. 

Weller might be many, many things, but boring is emphatically not one. 

*Awaits someone mentioning Weller’s media baiting. 

You like the slow stuff,you've said that before,I don't. Also,as I've previously said,even if Weller was writing meaningful lyrics it just didn't register with me as most of the melodies just didn't do it for me. As for modern stuff,I simply don't listen to it at all,I listen to oldies stations and my music collection is oldies stuff in the main too.

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You like the slow stuff,you've said that before,I don't. Also,as I've previously said,even if Weller was writing meaningful lyrics it just didn't register with me as most of the melodies just didn't do it for me. As for modern stuff,I simply don't listen to it at all,I listen to oldies stations and my music collection is oldies stuff in the main too.

I like all stuff. Old, new, fast, slow, weird, simple, obscure, mainstream, whatever. What I can’t do is just listen to about ten to twenty artists constantly. It blows my mind how many people who consider themselves music fans actually don’t listen to that much music. There is so much out there, it’s almost literally incredible. And loads of that stuff is really fucking great. Got to keep listening to find it though. 

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

I like all stuff. Old, new, fast, slow, weird, simple, obscure, mainstream, whatever. What I can’t do is just listen to about ten to twenty artists constantly. It blows my mind how many people who consider themselves music fans actually don’t listen to that much music. There is so much out there, it’s almost literally incredible. And loads of that stuff is really fucking great. Got to keep listening to find it though. 

There are different ways to be a music fan, Paul.

Personally I'm always listening to & buying stuff I haven't heard before but if someone wants to spend their time listening to their favourite three or four artists then that's probably just what makes them happy.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

I haven’t listened to any contemporary music since the 00s, and can go months just listening to the same ten or twenty songs, let alone ten to twenty artists. Very much depends on my mood.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

There are different ways to be a music fan, Paul.

Personally I'm always listening to & buying stuff I haven't heard before but if someone wants to spend their time listening to their favourite three or four artists then that's probably just what makes them happy.

Obviously. What I’m saying though is that no part of me can empathise with it. Don’t have a problem with it at all, mind. People can do what they like. Just find it odd.

If you love music, why would you not want to find more that you loved? To me, it’s a bit like being a Red but only watching the 70s and 80s greats on repeat while Kloppo’s boys are ripping shit up.

I love music and I want as much of it as I can get. The pleasure in hearing a great fucking tune for the first time and getting that emotional connection is amazing. I want that feeling all day every day. 

I also like the warm familiarity of something long loved too. But why not have both?

• Upvote 2