You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Roma 2 (Apr 24 2018)

tlw content

The night in its entirety was a little weird...

Firstly the atmosphere - now don't get me wrong it was good, it was very good BUT it never quite reached the rabid levels that it did versus City.

Maybe the rain which was incessant all day played a part - maybe the being favourites rather than underdogs played a part...I sensed an expectation in the air which just makes things that little bit less rabid, that little bit less feral.

Oh and whilst I am talking about the atmosphere it is ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ with the emphasis on the fucking A...not Ole Ole Ole or Oway, Oway, Oway or Ulleh, Ulleh Ulleh....how fucking hard is it to get that right? Honestly people all around us in 306 we at it all night, same in the ale house as well...and it is suffering from being sung at 78rpm as well. (Rant over!) But it does my head in that people can't get it right.

The first goal was greeted by a mighty explosion of relief on a par with City....the 2nd was a bit weird as a lot of people around us had headed down the steps for half time and it was a little muted...by the time 3,4 and 5 had gone in the crowd were almost in smug "game over" mode - it wasn't the same type of euphoria that was in the air versus City.

Then their goals came and the air left the balloon - really was weird as at the end there was a round of applause similar to what you might get after a 2-0 routine win at home to West Ham or someone not a roar that a 3 goal victory in the European Cup semi should be greeted with... but the air was tinged with a slightly muted maybe even deflated air...which after scoring 5 and leading by 3 in a European Cup Semi Final is weird thing to be writing but it is true.

It is like saying 'I bummed Kelly Brook last night but felt a bit bad at the end that when trying a 3rd time i couldn't finish off so we just stopped and had a ciggy'...but that is the sort of atmosphere that was in the air as we left ground.

The long wait (we sit in row 74 two from the back) that always entails to get down the steps at the end was quiet and you could hear people talking about 'if they get three we are fucked' 'only we could score 5 and it feel bad' etc....against City that wait was 5 mins of solid bouncing to "Allez Allez Allez"

Even the walk down towards the Oakfield was quiet, no air of celebration that we had just banged in 5 in a European Cup semi, just a few strangled shouts that never really got going and it was same in the Oakfield after...quiet...again after City it was bouncing.

The timing of the goals after being 5 up, the worry that they did the business v Barcelona, these two goals coming off the back of letting in two late goals v WBA - maybe all these things contributed to it but it really did feel a bit flat and weird.

Here we are with a 3 goal lead going into the 2nd leg but the prevailing feeling seems to be one of apprehension, fear, slight disappointment...maybe we are in danger already of being spoiled - the expectation is already too high...people think (because we can of course) that we have to dick everyone all the time and any slight drop off from that is in some mad way anti-climatic and worse dicking teams is expected and not all that much to get excited about unless we are underdogs- and that was definitely in the air around Anfield on Tuesday.

I could barely talk the next day after City due to all the singing and shouting...my voice was fine yesterday so I am as 'guilty' for want of a much better phrase as anyone else but that in itself tells the story.

It really did feel a bit weird on Tuesday.

Almost seemed like people were a little bit afraid to celebrate too much as the scar tissue from so many fuck ups is still tender...we really need to make sure we don't fuck this up from here as i really feel if we do that it might be as damaging to us as 2014 was - and it may be a blow the players and fans don't get over and it set us back years again...we need to get this done to stop it adding more doubt to the doubts that already plague us and make it even worse in future - fans bricking it even when we are 3 or 4 goals ahead because they fear we will blow it (because they have seen it too often)

Hands up - who was still bricking it 4-1 up on aggregate v City? Thinking "Yeah but"?

Here is a thought though if you do feel a bit down - How many times in our history have we won the first leg of a European Cup semi final by 3 goals?....

We are a little apprehensive because we know how fragile some of our key players can be mentally(yes you Dejan) and we also can see how fragile our paper thin squad is in danger of becoming. Plus historically both the club and our manager tend to choose the rocky road to potential success too.

We are a little apprehensive because we know how fragile some of our key players can be mentally(yes you Dejan) and we also can see how fragile our paper thin squad is in danger of becoming. Plus historically both the club and our manager tend to choose the rocky road to potential success too.

No question...which is why we need to see this through because if we don't it will just feed the apprehension even more for the future

Seriously? What on earth are you talking about? Two posts on this and they're both mad.

"I certainly wouldn't be pointing fingers at Milner in the blame stakes." Erm, do what? I'm not certain it even hit his arms/hand. The ref was gagging to give them that penno. The only pen that can be pointed at Milner is for signing another contract. 

"Salah been a joy to have here." Beg pardon? You're assuming he's off already?

You don't want Real in the final? I fucking do and I'm the most negative twat on this forum by a country mile.

Dave alluded to this above but didn't put enough into it. We're attempting to climb to the top of a very demanding mountain. If we pay no attention to the view on the way up, if we don't enjoy the physical exertion, if we fail to appreciate the camaraderie of doing it with our mates, if we don't enjoy any of the climb, then if a storm comes in and only metres away from the summit we're forced to admit defeat and retreat, the whole thing will have been a waste of time. For me, the climb is 99%, the summit is the cream on top.

Enjoy tearing up these records and playing some of the most scintillating football I've ever seen us play. 

YESSS ROGER!!!

Are you for real ?

Give your head an almighty fucking wobble for fucks sake.

Yeah getting the final would be an immense achievement and is what it is all about...it would hurt like fuck of course to lose but as it did in 07 but then to have the chance of adding a 6th and write a new chapter in our history and win something after a barren spell and not just win anything but win the big one is what we all dream about.

Bring it fucking on....please!

Against Manchester City and Roma it was shit for about 30 mins and then it was like someone flicks a switch and we just move up a gear. Beautiful to watch.

We've got to give them at least a little time to think they stand a chance. I likened the second leg of the Man City game like the Rope-a-Dope that Ali used to use. Fight hard and wear yourselves out and when the time is right I will come back a lot harder and take you down.

Magnificent.