You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

California road trip

Paco

Brother in law lives just north of San Diego, which is a nice enough place. I wasnt impressed with the coast in that area - Carlsbad, Encinitas, Oceanside, probably no better than Bridlington.  I've not been further up the coast

Did part of it last year. Stayed one night in Santa Cruz... One night in San Louis Obispo (SLO), then LA. Santa Cruz is cool, that's where surfing started in the US, so pretty big surfing culture, if that's what you're into.

I had one of the best sandwiches ever in SLO; Tritip sandwich at Firestone grill. It was sensational. We stopped at McWay falls, that was nice... Bixby Creek bridge also... but the main highlight was the drive.

I've done San Fran to LA. But got the train from LA to San Diego.

Loved it. Planning on doing it again with an open top when the boy is old enough to enjoy it. So about 15 years then!

I wouldn't bother with 4 in Anaheim unless you have specific plans. I'd be slower between San Fran LA. Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Barbara and try to have a pint with Clint in Carmel

I've done the PCH from San Diego to LA, and it's stunning. Some beautiful small surfing towns along the way......

I'm guessing Anaheim has something to do with Disneyland, but it's not that great otherwise.

Yeah we're doing 2 days in Disney. The wee lad isn't 2 until November so that's partly the reason we're doing a big holiday now as we get him at a reduced rate. It's mostly that I ve wanted to do this for ages. Took a bit of convincing the wife as we ll be travelling for 18 hours door to door. He's been on planes to England loads of times already and we went to Italy last year as well plus he's been on the boat from Belfast to Scotland and then car journey to Sunderland so the travelling won't be totally alien to him but 11 hours on a plane from London to San Francisco is a different kettle of fish.

I've done the PCH from San Diego to LA, and it's stunning. Some beautiful small surfing towns along the way......

I'm guessing Anaheim has something to do with Disneyland, but it's not that great otherwise.

Yeah we're doing 2 days in Disney. The wee lad isn't 2 until November so that's partly the reason we're doing a big holiday now as we get him at a reduced rate. It's mostly that I ve wanted to do this for ages. Took a bit of convincing the wife as we ll be travelling for 18 hours door to door. He's been on planes to England loads of times already and we went to Italy last year as well plus he's been on the boat from Belfast to Scotland and then car journey to Sunderland so the travelling won't be totally alien to him but 11 hours on a plane from London to San Francisco is a different kettle of fish.

Did part of it last year. Stayed one night in Santa Cruz... One night in San Louis Obispo (SLO), then LA. Santa Cruz is cool, that's where surfing started in the US, so pretty big surfing culture, if that's what you're into.I had one of the best sandwiches ever in SLO; Tritip sandwich at Firestone grill. It was sensational. We stopped at McWay falls, that was nice... Bixby Creek bridge also... but the main highlight was the drive.

I'll keep that sandwich place in mind. I've been looking for man v food venues that we could go to.

I've done San Fran to LA. But got the train from LA to San Diego.

Loved it. Planning on doing it again with an open top when the boy is old enough to enjoy it. So about 15 years then!

I wouldn't bother with 4 in Anaheim unless you have specific plans. I'd be slower between San Fran LA. Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Barbara and try to have a pint with Clint in Carmel

The plan is we have our couple of days in SF we've already booked this all through trail finders. We re on a bus tour so we can do all the major sights plus we have alcatraz as well which means I ll probably have to get one of those harness things i hate, for the child.

On the Monday we pick up the car head for monterrey via santa Cruz and big sur I think. Do the aquarium in morning after watching us beat United. Carmel in the afternoon then on down to Pismo. The next day is a 5 hour drive so we ll break that up with a few hours in Santa Barbara. After that we ll be ready for 4 days taking it easy at Disney and some sightseeing around LA.

Yes, twice. Although 1st time we took the Greyhound and 2nd time we took the Amtrack but I've been to all the places you've mentioned minus Monterrey and Pismo - we were due to stay in Pismo but got to Santa Barbara quicker then intended, which is meant to be nicer than Pismo. Santa Barbara is beautiful.

Let me know if you need any idea's of where to stay & things to do. I assume if your staying 4 nights in Anaheim your going to Disney.

I've driven the PCH from San Diego to Portland.

Try and make sure you have a smaller, sportier car as it can get pretty curvy in parts and if you're driving the QE2 like I was it can get a bit floaty.

A couple of interesting stops we made (apart from the usual stuff) were Hearst Castle (half way-ish between LA and SF) and Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.

I've driven the PCH from San Diego to Portland.

Try and make sure you have a smaller, sportier car as it can get pretty curvy in parts and if you're driving the QE2 like I was it can get a bit floaty.

A couple of interesting stops we made (apart from the usual stuff) were Hearst Castle (half way-ish between LA and SF) and Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.

Umm....wrong turn there?

Didn't realize Edmonton Transit went that far.

PCH is one drive I would like to do, compare it to Superior North Shore drive betweeen Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie.

• Upvote 1