You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

• 2 weeks later...

The Youth Champions League fixtures have been confirmed on the offal.

Liverpool have confirmed the following dates for their UEFA Youth League fixtures with Ludogorets Razgrad, Real Madrid and FC Basel.

The U19 tournament kicks-off with the opening fixture against Bulgarian outfit Ludogorets Razgrad at Langtree Park, St Helens, on Tuesday, September 16 - a match you will be able to watch live on LFCTV from 2pm BST.

Tuesday, September 16. Liverpool v Ludogorets Razgrad. Kick off 2pm at Langtree Park, St Helens.

Wednesday, October 1. FC Basel v Liverpool. Kick off 3pm at Campus Basel.

Wednesday, October 22. Liverpool v Real Madrid. Kick off 2pm at Langtree Park.

Tuesday, November 4. Real Madrid v Liverpool. Kick off 4pm at Alfredo Di Stefano.

Wednesday, November 26. Ludogorets Razgrad v Liverpool. Kick off 4pm at Georgi Asparuhov, Sofia.

Tuesday, December 9. Liverpool v FC Basel. Kick off 2pm at Langtree Park.

Supporters should note Liverpool U21s home match with Manchester City on Monday, September 22, will now be played at Langtree Park, St Helens, and not at Anfield.

• Upvote 1

I'm normally one who tells everyone else not to make predictions about the future careers of our youngsters because you never know which 17-year old has not only the talent but the will to develop to his full potential, but I'm breaking that rule tonight.

Seyi Ojo will one day play for England.  

Barring injuries and whatever, of course. I'm not saying he's going to turn out to be a Barnes/Gerrard-level player (though it might be possible, I suppose) but he will earn an international cap, likely lots of them, at some point in his career.  I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least 50 starts for our first team as well, hopefully a lot more.

The one thing I don't know yet is what position he will do all of this in.  He just turned 17 but he has played all over the park for us already. On both wings, attacking midfield, as a lone striker, even a few games in the 8, and I think once, briefly, as a fullback.  He could be a Yaya Toure-bruiser in midfield, or a slightly stronger Hazard-type coming in from the wing, or even a Sturridge-lite at striker.  It's hard to say at this point.  

What is clear is that he can play.  Quick, strong, good technique, decent vision - he can play.  He has a few weaknesses, sure, but his main one used to be inconsistency and he's now produced several months of consistent brilliance going back to the last few months of last season.  I'm sticking my neck out: he will make it here.

• Upvote 1

I'm normally one who tells everyone else not to make predictions about the future careers of our youngsters because you never know which 17-year old has not only the talent but the will to develop to his full potential, but I'm breaking that rule tonight.

Seyi Ojo will one day play for England.  

Barring injuries and whatever, of course. I'm not saying he's going to turn out to be a Barnes/Gerrard-level player (though it might be possible, I suppose) but he will earn an international cap, likely lots of them, at some point in his career.  I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least 50 starts for our first team as well, hopefully a lot more.

The one thing I don't know yet is what position he will do all of this in.  He just turned 17 but he has played all over the park for us already. On both wings, attacking midfield, as a lone striker, even a few games in the 8, and I think once, briefly, as a fullback.  He could be a Yaya Toure-bruiser in midfield, or a slightly stronger Hazard-type coming in from the wing, or even a Sturridge-lite at striker.  It's hard to say at this point.  

What is clear is that he can play.  Quick, strong, good technique, decent vision - he can play.  He has a few weaknesses, sure, but his main one used to be inconsistency and he's now produced several months of consistent brilliance going back to the last few months of last season.  I'm sticking my neck out: he will make it here.

He's improved on his strength, as for me, he was quite easily knocked off the ball last season. He's fast becoming a very good player to watch, he seems so effortless on the ball at the moment, his confidence is sky high and he certainly looks like he can go on and be a real genuine top class player for years to come.

• Upvote 1

He is ace.

Speaking of ace, rossiter was apparently pulled from this to be part of the squad tomorrow. I guess it happens a fair bit, but with Ludo and Boro coming up...

I think he'll play in the YCL game against Ludogorets, as opposed to the real thing, but I do reckon he'll be involved against Middlesbrough.

18s lost 3-2 away at Middlesborough. Offal.

It was a frustrating afternoon for Liverpool U18s as they lost 3-2 away at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Will Marsh netted twice for Neil Critchley's side but the home side sealed the victory with 10 minutes remaining.

On a positive note Spanish midfielder Pedro Chirivella played his first game of the season after returning from injury.

"It was a bad day for us and we just didn't get going right from conceding a goal in the opening minute," Critchley told Liverpoolfc.com.

"There was too much poor play from us and our decision making wasn't as good as we expect. We were poor."

Liverpool U18s team: Ben Jackson, Corey Whelan, Sam Hart, Kristof Polgar, Tom Brewitt, Pedro Chirivella (Yan Dhanda 65), Jack Watts (Dharius Waldron 65), Adam Phillips, Wade Maxwell (Nathan Sheron 82), Will Marsh, Callum Nicholas.

• Upvote 1

A few fixture changes for the under 21's.

Supporters should be aware of the following changes for three U21s fixtures.

The match with Manchester City, scheduled for Monday September 22, will now take place at the Kirkby Academy on Thursday, September 25 at 7pm BST.

The mini-derby with Everton has been moved from Monday, September 29 to Saturday, October 4. This game will take place at the Merseyrail Community Stadium in Southport at 3pm.

The home fixture with Southampton has been changed from Thursday October 16, to Monday, December 1, at the Kirkby Academy. Kick-off will be at 7pm.

If the mini derby stays scheduled for Saturday 4th October, then we'll have the under 18's, under 21's and first team playing on the same day, which is highly unusual.

18's at home to City, kick off at 11:00.

21's away at Everton, kick off at 15:00.

First team at home to West Brom, kick off at 15:00.

Jerome Sinclair celebrated his 18th birthday with a goal as Liverpool's U18s recorded a comprehensive 3-0 home victory over Bolton Wanderers today.

Sergi Canos and Will Marsh were also on the scoresheet as Neil Critchleys side capped a pleasing week with a dominant performance at the Kirkby Academy.

"We dominated the game from the start and 3-0 in no way flattered us," said Critchley. "We created lots of chances and could have scored double that.

"It has been a great week for us - two clean sheets, seven goals and our first European experience. It was nice to see Jerome get a goal on his birthday. He has had a really good week."

Team : Firth, Whelan, Hart, Brewitt, Roberts, Chirivella, Wilson, Phillips, Sinclair (Nicholas), Canos, Marsh (Maxwell).

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/171106-sinclair-marks-birthday-in-u18s-win

• Upvote 1

Hey @Dynamite, have you seen much of Jordan Williams? He looked quite tidy vs Boro, and he took his penalty very well.

Seen him a fair few times. He's versatile. Seen him play centre back, right back and central midfield, as he did tonight. He's decent on the ball, very composed and has decent recovery pace - handy when he's playing at the back.

• Upvote 1

Do you think he can make it?

Honestly a little early to judge, but if I was pushed, I would say probably not for us, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

He needs to cement his place in the 21s this season, which is looking a possibility at the moment, as he's played all 3 games for the 21s this season so far. Then I'd like to see him spend some time on loan playing first team football next season.

Offal match report

The Kirkby Academy was the scene of a thriller on Thursday evening as Liverpool U21s were narrowly defeated 4-3 by Manchester City after a match filled to the brim with quality.

Despite battling back from a two-goal deficit and later launching a second comeback attempt, Michael Beale's charges were ultimately condemned to a maiden loss of the campaign.

The hosts had actually started the brighter and when a surging dribble by Ryan Kent brought the reward of a corner, Kevin Stewart was left unmarked from the subsequent delivery - but the defender directed his header too close to the goalkeeper.

Adam Phillips, making his debut appearance at this level, craftily released Sheyi Ojo with seven minutes on the clock, only for the young forward to follow Stewart in making life comfortable for the opposition stopper.

And the misses proved costly. Within a minute, City were in front courtesy of Thierry Ambrose, who capitalised on productive work by Brandon Barker along the left flank to tap home a simple finish at the back post with Danny Ward out of position.

It was 2-0 seconds later, as Sinan Bytyqi waltzed through the home defence and coolly planted a finish beyond Ward, doubling the visitors' advantage in the blink of an eye and leaving the previously unbeaten Liverpool with work to do.

Samed Yesil perhaps should have halved the deficit when he circled the 'keeper from another fine Phillips assist, but struck into the side-netting. At the other end, Ward had to be alert to thwart Olivier Ntcham before the break.

From the resumption, the young Reds wasted no time in mounting a fightback. Phillips had already hit the crossbar from distance before smashing home a finish from Joe Maguire's accurate cross on 48 minutes to reduce the arrears with his first U21s strike.

The same connection bore fruit moments later, creating Liverpool's and the 16-year-old's second of the evening. Again it was a delivery by the full-back and once more Phillips was composed to drive into the back of the net.

But back came the travellers - Mathias Bossaerts was grateful for Ashley Smith-Brown's cross to head past Ward, before an unstoppable turn and shot by Jordy Hiwula restored a healthy cushion for City.

With Yesil a constant menace to Patrick Vieira's team, there was still plenty to play for, particularly when the German striker found substitute Harry Wilson in behind and the Welshman notched with four minutes left to play to set up a grandstand finale.

Liverpool almost snatched an incredible draw too, but Ojo's thunderous blast from distance - which seemed destined for the corner - was stopped in expert fashion by Ian Lawlor to preserve the win for the away side.

Liverpool team: Ward, Randall (Wilson), Maguire, Stewart, Jones, Phillips (Cleary), Ojo, Lussey (Chirivella), Yesil, Brannagan, Kent. Unused substitutes: Fulton, Trickett-Smith.

Under 18s won 5-1 away at Newcastle today.

Offal match report.

Harry Wilson scored twice as Liverpool U18s won 5-1 away at Newcastle United on Saturday.

The Welsh international fired the opening goal after Sam Hart was brought down and Sergi Canos made it 2-0.

Although the home side pulled a goal back, three more goals in the second half from Jerome Sinclair, Will Marsh and another one for Wilson completed the rout.

"We are very pleased to have scored five goals but we can do better," manager Neil Critchley told Liverpoolfc.com.

"We spoke in the dressing room after the game and agreed that was only a six or seven out of 10 performance."

Liverpool U18s team: Ryan Fulton, Corey Whelan, Sam Hart, Kristof Polgar, Tom Brewitt, Pedro Chirivella (Kane Lewis), Harry Wilson, Ovie Ejaria (Callum Nicholas), Jerome Sinclair (Jack Watts), Will Marsh, Sergi Canos.

Offal match report

Sergi Canos netted a fine goal but it was to prove a mere consolation for Liverpool U18s as they lost 4-2 to Manchester City at the Kirkby Academy on Saturday morning.

Neil Critchley was without eight goal striker Jerome Sinclair so he adopted a new formation with Spaniard Canos in the No.9 role.

Liverpool soon found themselves 1-0 down when City scored following a free header from a corner, only for Canos to level it up with a superb finish after great work down the left from Sam Hart.

City scored before the break to take a 2-1 lead before a fantastic 25-yard effort from Bersant Celina made it 3-1.

It soon became worse for the young Reds when City scored again before Harry Wilson netted a consolation from another Hart assist.

"Performance wise we did okay and played some good football at times but we gave away some sloppy goals," U18s boss Neil Critchley told Liverpoolfc.com.

"We tried a different formation and it worked well at times against a very strong and powerful City side."

Liverpool U18s: Andy Firth, Corey Whelan, Sam Hart, Tom Brewitt, Kristof Polgar, Ovie Ejaria, Adam Phillips, Will Marsh, Sergi Canos (Jack Watts), Callum Nicholas (Okera Simmonds), Harry Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

21's lost 3-1 against Southampton at Anfield, yesterday evening.

Offal report

Liverpool U21s were on the wrong end of the result in a highly competitive league clash with Southampton on Thursday evening, as the visitors secured a 3-1 victory at Anfield.

Amid constant rain at the home of the senior Reds, the youngsters initially fell behind to a Ryan Seager strike only to restore parity through an own goal within a minute.

The same Saints scorer made a decisive contribution shortly after the half-time interval, however, and a late Jake Hesketh blast consigned the hosts to a second successive defeat.

Although the downfall drifting around Anfield as kick-off approached suddenly became considerably heavier, both sides were keen on short, sharp passing and building gracefully out from the back during the fleeting exchanges.

That said, it was a rather more industrial long punt forward that brought an opportunity for Southampton midfielder Jake Flannigan on four minutes. His dipping volley from around 25 yards was at the opposite end of the style spectrum, though, and was only narrowly too high to be of genuine concern to Danny Ward.

Opposition goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga did have to sprawl to his right soon after, palming out a bobbling header from Harry Wilson, who had dangerously diverted Joe Maguire's cross. Ryan McLaughlin then worked the Argentinian at his near post with a low drive.

The clock was showing 20 minutes when Michael Beale's charges next cut through the visiting defence, with a crisp interchange involving Cameron Brannagan, Jordan Williams and Connor Randall releasing Wilson. The Welshman was pushed wide, however, and his back-heel eluded a teammate.

Seager fired a warning riposte when found from the left by Josh Debayo, but Ward was more than equal to the challenge, diving low to the right. Unfortunately, the Saints No.9 could not be denied on 24 minutes as he pressured Lloyd Jones into an error and promptly slotted into the bottom corner.

Yet their lead lasted mere seconds. Jerome Sinclair worked enough space on the right side of Southampton territory to dig out a back-post cross, where defender Nial Mason sent a header into the top corner of his own goal as McLaughlin closed in.

Jordan Rossiter reacquainted himself with Anfield following his senior debut - and landmark goal - in the Capital One Cup against Middlesbrough last month, replacing McLaughlin for the outset of the second half.

But the hosts soon fell behind again. The pace and acceleration of Omar Rowe carried him into freedom inside the left channel and his precise centre into the young Reds' penalty area was exactly what Seager was waiting for. He calmly tapped a first-time finish into the right corner for 2-1 on 52 minutes.

In response, Sinclair tested Gazzaniga with a daisy-cutter that the 'keeper parried out and subsequently scooped up as Brannagan rushed in for a rebound. The Saints stopper was soon at it again, holding onto a powerful Wilson drive from a central position.

With Beale's outfit committing players forward in search of an equaliser, Seager was inches away from completing a hat-trick when Mason scampered along the right wing and crossed into the middle, but the ball just missed the striker.

Ward later thwarted the relentless forward with an outstretched leg and Hesketh pummelled over from the left when picked out neatly by Rowe. But Hesketh did eventually hit the target in the 90th minute, forcing a blast beyond Ward to secure the result.

Liverpool U21s team: Ward, Randall (Trickett-Smith), Maguire, Stewart, Jones, Williams, McLaughlin (Rossiter), Phillips (O'Hanlon), Sinclair, Brannagan, Wilson. Unused substitutes: Vigouroux, Cleary.

18's won 5-0 today at the Academy against Blackburn.

Offal Match Report

Liverpool U18s returned to winning ways in the finest style on Saturday as Will Marsh struck a hat-trick and Sergi Canos added two more in a 5-0 thrashing of Blackburn Rovers at the Kirkby Academy.

The young Reds entered the fixture on the back of successive defeats by Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, but summoned a stellar performance to claim victory today.

Neil Critchley's team took the lead within 10 minutes of kick-off, with Marsh beginning his scoring spree by carefully dispatching a lob from distance over Rovers goalkeeper Andrew Fisher after he advanced from his position and squandered possession.

The stopper was placed much better to thwart the same Liverpool attacker shortly after, while the visiting outfit twice worked Andrew Firth with headers at the other end - Lewis Mansell and Matty Platt were the players denied.

Blackburn soon grew into the contest, restoring confidence following the early concession, and their crossing from wide areas was a consistent menace. Yet it was the hosts who provided the next telling contribution.

Herbie Kane retrieved the ball and quickly released Marsh, who took a step inside from the right and struck at Fisher's goal. The effort took a deflection and drifted into the net for the Reds' No.9's second of the encounter and 2-0 on 35 minutes.

Trent Alexander almost produced a third but directed his shot over the crossbar, leaving Marsh to further extend their advantage. Again it was Kane offering the assist to his teammate and this time it was a straightforward finish to seal a fine first-half treble.

Blackburn returned for the second half with determination to reduce their deficit and created most of the genuine chances, most notably when substitute Sam Joel collected a Mansell cutback and fired at Firth, who was fortunate to watch the hit travel off target after slipping through his grasp.

Once more, though, it was Critchley's charges offering a clinical edge. With 83 minutes on the clock, Canos and Sam Hart combined - having both been introduced from the bench - for the former to curl home a clever fourth for Liverpool.

Further gloss was added to the scoreline in stoppage time, with Alexander the creator for Canos' second. The Spaniard stormed into space and neatly dinked over the 'keeper to conclude a thoroughly handsome win.

Liverpool U18s team: Firth, Lewis, Whelan, Brewitt, Polgar, Alexander, Nicholas, Kane, Marsh, Ejaria, Dhanda. Substitutes: Waldron, Wheeler, Watts, Canos, Hart.

• Upvote 1