You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven G??

Pureblood

Theres's life in the old dog yet, i think he's been steady this season. Yes he has looked a little leggy towards the end of games but that could be levelled at most our team. We are much better team when he is playing and we will be for at least a couple more seasons. Playing next to Lucas exposes the older Gerrard even more as Lucas's legs have gone since injury. Thats why im all for playing Henderson in the middle who can run around like a mad man , leaving Stavros Gerrardo to stroke the ball around like a greased kipper.

Completely agree about Gerrard, I don't want him replaced yet either.  Gerrard, Lucas and Hendo with Allen waiting to pounce on an injury or lack of form is fine by me.  The problem has been getting Allen fit.  

When you have a player as good as Gerrard, and make no mistake, it's not just Liverpool fans' exaggeration, he really IS that good...

There will be many times when when on any given matchday, the manager will be faced with the aging brilliant pro vs the young lad with potential. If both players were in different teams, then there would be a natural crossover point when the new lad became better than Gerrard (at that point in time), but when they are in the same team, that crossover point gets delayed, and delayed....

It squeezes out the max from Gerrard... but you'll never know how much you lost in delaying the growth of the younger lad.

It's a bit like having a classic car. The vast majority of us would keep on driving it and still loving it like we always did and still believing all round it's a better car than a brand new showroom model. When it finally does die, and we are forced to drive the new car, we probably accept we went a bit too long with the old classic.

Are Liverpool there yet? Not quite, but it's probably time to stop driving the classic to work every day, and keep it for those special ocassions.

• Upvote 5

It took five seconds because that quote where you say it's one of the least important positions, which is very close to what you asked me to find, was already on the front page of the FF.  But my work is done, it has been a laugh.

Why do you say your work is done and then spend the next 10 mins looking for another quote to post, post it without any response to your work is done post and the continue talking about it for the next 2 hours?

You accused me of saying something I didn't say. You did it the other day I pulled you and you went quiet. Now your carrying despite the fact you've admitted I didn't say what you are accusing me of saying. Are you set for another meltdown? Will you have the bottle to ask for your 6 quid back?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

For me the out and out destroyer is not an appealing option in our current set up.  We need players who are comfortable in possession and keep the ball.  Give me Joe Allen over Momo Sissokho in the current set up.  Obviously there are players that can do both extremely well (Roy Keane) but they are quite rare.

I'm definitely not talking about a Momo. He's nothing other than insane destruction. It's a wonder he didn't tackle his own team mates. Nobody should, in my opinion, be excluded from the attacking side of the game. Some with less emphasis - like the CBs - but even from DM we should be able to pick passes forwards, run with the ball from deep, which allows the entire team to move forward, and dictate the tempo.

I'm not expecting everything at once, definitely not. I think we need to build little by little and with players we can get. For me, Lucas is good enough for where we are, but not good enough for where we want to go. There are a few others in the squad like that, but fewer than when Rodgers took over. That's progress to me.

As for Gerrard, well, he's amazing. We just need to put him further forward with less covering work to do. Get him involved with the attacking play. He still has all that in his locker.

Why do you say your work is done and then spend the next 10 mins looking for another quote to post, post it without any response to your work is done post and the continue talking about it for the next 2 hours?

You accused me of saying something I didn't say. You did it the other day I pulled you and you went quiet. Now your carrying despite the fact you've admitted I didn't say what you are accusing me of saying. Are you set for another meltdown? Will you have the bottle to ask for your 6 quid back?

Man, this is getting tedious.  Jeez okay, you didn't verbatim say it, but it was very close and it's clear you don't think it's an important role in the team compared to the others, which I vehemently disagree with.  I do have a job to do during the day and can't specifically reply to every inane question you put to me.  And I've already told you I'm not flouncing off, I'm going to annoy you instead. 

How anybody can blame Lucas for playing how he does need shooting. He got turned into a holding midfielder by a egotistical Spanish guy who thought he knew better than any other person on earth cause he was never wrong ever.

So if you think Lucas is shit then at least blame it on the person who made him this way by changing him from a box to box type of player.

Lucas has gone on record as saying that it was his own choice

Good anology by Fanchester there (at least he stays of the fucking topic)

He is captain of Liverpool and England, teams that aim for CL places and WC qualification.

He is still a very good footballer.

If England do go to Brazil and shock us all and do well, then we may well have an exhausted Captain next season.

We may revisit this discussion in 12 months time, but not now.