You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

• 7 months later...

I’ve started something I’m scared I won’t be able to finish. We moved house before Christmas and there’s a summerhouse thing in the garden so I’ve decided I can make it into a studio/office. Took out windows, plywooded the holes, damp sealed inside with paint-on stuff (it was, surprisingly, not too very damp at all), used a sealant on holes and gaps. I’ve got a spark coming to  fit in electrics in a couple of weeks but I’m cracking on with walls where the electric inlet won’t be. Started stuffing in rock wool before covering with a membrane and plywood for the walls. I’ll be secondary glazing the door windows with Perspex I think, want some natural light.
I’m knackered, I’ve never really done much diy before but I’m skint so need to do most of it myself. Any advice if you’ve done this kind of thing before?

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpeg

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Looks like you're doing a nice job.

Are you putting heating in? And are you insulating the floor?

Cheers Bob. It’s quite a small room, about 8x10 so I’ll just use an electric radiator type thing. I’ve found some rubber insulating underlay for the floor, and the floor’s in pretty good nick, then I’ll carpet over it. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/09/2023 at 14:04, Strontium said:

I don't think they have B&Q here.

It looks a lot like a pipe clamp, specifically a plastic saddle clamp. I think those might work.

you'll find the plumbing department of any DIY store will have them.  they'll do multiple diameters, so make sure you take a broken one to compare.

On 28/04/2024 at 19:24, bossy said:

I’ve started something I’m scared I won’t be able to finish. We moved house before Christmas and there’s a summerhouse thing in the garden so I’ve decided I can make it into a studio/office. Took out windows, plywooded the holes, damp sealed inside with paint-on stuff (it was, surprisingly, not too very damp at all), used a sealant on holes and gaps. I’ve got a spark coming to  fit in electrics in a couple of weeks but I’m cracking on with walls where the electric inlet won’t be. Started stuffing in rock wool before covering with a membrane and plywood for the walls. I’ll be secondary glazing the door windows with Perspex I think, want some natural light.
I’m knackered, I’ve never really done much diy before but I’m skint so need to do most of it myself. Any advice if you’ve done this kind of thing before?

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpeg

Will it be portable/moveable or will you fasten it to decking or something? I'd imagine any gaps at floor level would be your biggest problem regarding draughts and coldness?

On 28/04/2024 at 19:24, bossy said:

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpeg

I built myself one a couple of years ago, I'm pretty handy with joinery etc . I was lucky enough to find a conservatory for sale , so I just butchered it for its uPVC doors and windows. 

Look out for any kingspan sheets on marketplace,you can glue them directly to the floor and do the same on top with plywood ( min 12mm) and that will make the world of difference. If you ever get the chance to put a decent floor in , don't use laminate it's fucking freezing 

On 03/05/2024 at 08:38, VladimirIlyich said:

Will it be portable/moveable or will you fasten it to decking or something? I'd imagine any gaps at floor level would be your biggest problem regarding draughts and coldness?

The building was already there and attached to the decking, I’m just putting a water barrier and rubber insulation over the floor, I can’t take it up and start anew. 

On 03/05/2024 at 11:13, elvis said:

I built myself one a couple of years ago, I'm pretty handy with joinery etc . I was lucky enough to find a conservatory for sale , so I just butchered it for its uPVC doors and windows. 

Look out for any kingspan sheets on marketplace,you can glue them directly to the floor and do the same on top with plywood ( min 12mm) and that will make the world of difference. If you ever get the chance to put a decent floor in , don't use laminate it's fucking freezing 

Deffo no laminate, there will be carpet. It’s quite nicely built so I’m going with a rubber insulating underlay type thing. The place was pretty damp free after being just left alone for years and I admit im doing the bare minimum, but I think it’ll be useable…

On 28/04/2024 at 20:13, bossy said:

Cheers Bob. It’s quite a small room, about 8x10 so I’ll just use an electric radiator type thing. I’ve found some rubber insulating underlay for the floor, and the floor’s in pretty good nick, then I’ll carpet over it. 

Is that sitting at an angle on the decking? That would do my head in.