You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Doesn't make him a good player to have, at his age, with the wedge it would cost to acquire.

It's a, full stop, stupid suggestion.

Rubbish , he's a very underated player who would fit in really well .

Works hard , skillful - quick and knows where the goal is.

People do realise that signing Darren fucking Bent means that Suarez will be moved out of his best position?

I think Suarez will still score plenty, Bent will just take up the positions that Enrique has been taking up lately!

We shouldn'tjust stop at Bent either, we could do with a couple of strikers and a couple of wide players. We can't just rely on Suarez as that is the mistake we made with Torres and as soon as he got injured we had nothing left.

I think Suarez will still score plenty, Bent will just take up the positions that Enrique has been taking up lately!

Sarcasm surely?

Bent is a one trick pony. I think its pretty clear that Rodgers wants players who can play across a front three. Players who are quick, intelligent and can score goals.

Bent doesnt fit that profile at all.

Sarcasm surely?

Bent is a one trick pony. I think its pretty clear that Rodgers wants players who can play across a front three. Players who are quick, intelligent and can score goals.

Bent doesnt fit that profile at all.

As long as the trick is scoring goals who the fuck cares?

I think Rodgers has his ideal centre striker / false nine in Suarez. He is fully involved in the game, he is top scorer in the league, perfect for the system - so I can't see him moving him.

That means we are looking for players who are primarily wide players, who can get goals and assists - but can cover for Suarez if needed.

Hence being linked with Walcott and Sturridge.

Bent would need to be central and although he'd improve the squad, I don't think he is the future or the type of player Rodgers wants.

What a load of bollocks Robbie, Bent has scored goals everywhere he has been as long as he has got games, even at Spurs where is time is seen as a failure his goals to start ratio is something 9 out of 10 of our strikers down the years can only dream about.

If someone has a style of football where a goalscorer will not fit in he better start looking for something else because then football is not his kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

What a load of bollocks Robbie, Bent has scored goal everywhere he has been as long as he has got games, even at Spurs where is time is seen as a failure his goals to start ratio is something 9 out of 10 of our strikers down the years can only dream about

And them teams played football on the deck instead of trying to catch teams on the break did they?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
And them teams played football on the deck instead of trying to catch teams on the break did they?

I think that's a fair point. I mean, he'd probably score goals - he's pretty nifty - but I'm with you: I can't see Rodgers going for him and I can't see the owners sanctioning a move for him, not at his age and wage.

I think that's a fair point. I mean, he'd probably score goals - he's pretty nifty - but I'm with you: I can't see Rodgers going for him and I can't see the owners sanctioning a move for him, not at his age and wage.

It would be pretty braindead for me.

Like, we spent the guts of £75m on 3 English players that were quite clearly overpriced at the time and have stunk the place out for most of the time they've been at the club. And then to rectify that situation, go out and spent big wages on another average English player with no sell on value if it goes tits up?

It would clearly prove that the club didnt learn any lessons from last summer despite sacking the two people who were at fault for wasting the money.

On Saturday Bent didn't even make the bench for lowest scorers in the league. Not very clever handling of the situation by Lambert, he obviously rates him as highly as I rate Stewart Downing but putting a kid on the bench ahead of him is baffling. His treatment of a player on such a wage almost certainly rules out any sort of decent price for him, most likely he will go on loan, 6 months at Anfield could be of benefit to all concerned. I'd take him on loan but no way would I want to own that brainless fool.

Darren Bent 'closes on Liverpool loan' as Rodgers reveals lack of funds

Darren Bent is reportedly closing in on a January loan to Liverpool after being axed by Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert for the home draw with Arsenal.

The striker, 28, was available after missing three games with an ankle problem but Lambert instead preferred rookie Jordan Bowery as his back-up forward for Saturday’s 0-0 stalemate with the Gunners.

Now Liverpool, who are in desperate need of extra firepower, are believed to already be in negotiations with Villa over taking Bent on loan until the end of the season with a view to making the move permanent in the summer.

A temporary signing would be the ideal solution to Liverpool’s striker problems, as Brendan Rodgers admitted after his side’s 0-0 draw with Swansea that funds may not be available to bring in a permanent recruit.

‘If we can get in the quality in the final third we need to support what we have, then there will be enough to keep the team moving forward,’ said Rodgers.

‘But I am not so sure that will happen in January. This year the club wanted to balance the books and see where we are at.

‘There has been big investment in the club and lots of players went out and a few came in during the summer, so we will look to do some business.’

Whether Villa would settle on a loan deal for a player who cost them £22million just two seasons ago remains to be seen, and boss Lambert insists there’s no rift with the England striker.

'Darren is fine. There's nothing at all. The most important thing is Aston Villa Football Club,' said the Scot.

Darren Bent 'closes on Liverpool loan' as Brendan Rodgers reveals lack of funds | Metro.co.uk

People are headed for a massive crash on February 1st, when it becomes apparent that John Henry isn't quite the paragon of virtue he made himself out to be in his noble letter.

I wouldn't give Rodgers more than £15 million in January if I was FSG.

They gave him £30 million in the summer. If he can't get us competitive (pushing for top four) after spending £45 million and inheriting the spine of a very good team then I'd be reluctant to give him too much more money.

Part of the reason he got the job was to make some of the players we had improve and he has to show he can get the best out of the players he has.

I'd give him £15 million, which should be enough for Walcott, after that I'd like to see him either raise fund from sales or be 'creative' such as loans.

But I'm not FSG so hope they give him as much as possible!